Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

There's One, Glaring, Major Upside For An Early Elimination.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#31 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

And Raymond!

#32 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Using your analogy, Kesler was the one with the strained wrist and Linden was the one with the broken leg.

Linden played the last 4 games of the Stanley Cup with cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage. http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=397641

Kesler played with a shoulder injury that wasn't bad enough to even be given a maintenance day down the stretch.

your right that rib injury sounds much worse than <generic unknown shoulder injury>. But that's probably because you very specific with that one, and not with the other.

#33 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,510 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Do you understand what an upside even is? Things are rarely, if ever, all good or all bad.

Do you even understand what an upside is?

I never said anything was all good nor all bad.

Finishing last overall recieves a token upside of the best chance to win the first overall draft pick.
Barely missing the playoffs (Flames & Leafs) has no upside.
Losing in the first round after a great season also has no upside.

Why is there no upside to those last 2?
First and foremost - fans are unhappy.
Unhappy fans spend less money on the team.
Now owners are unhappy.
Not making the playoffs mean no playoff revenue.
Losing in the first round - very little playoff revenue.
There are a whole bunch of negative side effects that far outweigh anything anyone here can try to justify as an upside.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#34 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

your right that rib injury sounds much worse than <generic unknown shoulder injury>. But that's probably because you very specific with that one, and not with the other.

Neither was Kesler or the Canucks.

#35 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Upside= saving 5Gz on tickets and bar tabs.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#36 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,334 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

If you would take a healthy team over a battered, bruised and damaged team who won the cup...

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#37 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

He said the exact same thing after the 2010 season when he had a poor playoffs. Fool me once shame on me, but you ain't fooling me twice.

Remember this

. http://www2.canada.c...68-1834ced84404

Sound familiar? If it is not an excuse then why does it keep coming up. There was no surgery that offseason.

Love the way it just slips out and then he bravely says it's not an excuse.

I love the LInden example..that guy would have given his life to help his team. He was bloodied, bruised and broken after that playoff run and never mentioned his injuiries. That's what this team is missing.

Someone like Claude Giroux who goes to his coach before the game and says "I don't know whou you're planning to start but I want to be on the ice first shift and set the tone" and then he DOES!!!

None of our "stars" came close to setting the tone against LA in any regard.

The advantage of an early exit is it exposes the weaknesses in this team's approach/make-up and allows management the excuse to make whatever changes it wants. The team has no identity...it can't score, it can't defend and it can't fight or hit. IT has great goaltending that keeps it in games.

I say no-one should be safe in order for management to put the necessary pieces together to creat a team identity with purpose.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 25 April 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#38 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Not really. The Canucks pick 26th.

Really?? Won't the Canucks be picking 22nd?
Posted Image

#39 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,334 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

Really?? Won't the Canucks be picking 22nd?

They came first in the NHL and were bounced in the first round, so they drop to 26th, 27th/28th is for conference finalists and 29th for the SCF loser.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#40 sQuish

sQuish

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

I was gonna say, major upside is in the wallet and the waistline... no more pub nights every other day. Yaay.

#41 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

They came first in the NHL and were bounced in the first round, so they drop to 26th, 27th/28th is for conference finalists and 29th for the SCF loser.

Really? Thats lame, so teams still in the playoffs still have a chance of drafting higher if they get eliminated in the second round? thats just stupid.
Posted Image

#42 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,510 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Upside= saving 5Gz on tickets and bar tabs.

Okay - you got me - that's an upside. :)

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#43 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Yes it's an upside, but it definitely does not make it acceptable to be eliminated.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#44 justsayin

justsayin

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

There are actually two major upsides to the early elimination.

The first being the time off that the players get. Let's hope they use it wisely.

The second being all the time I won't have to spend in front of a tv or at a bar this spring.

#45 rypper-37

rypper-37

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Finishing as a runner up to the Cup and getting knocked out in the 1st round is the same thang.

#46 Oh Whisht

Oh Whisht

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

I hope the longer summer will give everyone time to rest and recuperate.

I think Manny will certainly continue to improve, to a certain point, with his eye. I recall early in the year, everyone bitching about how badly he was performing, blah, blah, blah. Geez, give the guy a break - we should be thrilled that he could even ever play again.

I heard many times in this playoff, the announcers commenting on how great he was in the face-offs, so that's a huge improvement from early on - unless the early complaining was just this board having nothing else to whine about.

#47 VancouverHabitant

VancouverHabitant

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

I think that the upside in this case is that we get to pick ahead of the other teams that moved on in the NHL playoffs....

Since we finished first overall, we pick last out of the teams knocked out in the first round of the playoffs....

8 teams left = We pick 22nd overall in the NHL draft

That's an upside
Posted Image __ Posted Image

#48 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

I think that the upside in this case is that we get to pick ahead of the other teams that moved on in the NHL playoffs....

Since we finished first overall, we pick last out of the teams knocked out in the first round of the playoffs....

8 teams left = We pick 22nd overall in the NHL draft

That's an upside

Not the way it works. We get 26th pick.

#49 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,267 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

82 more games to get hurt in next season before you reach that point again
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#50 canux4ever

canux4ever

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Malhotra is injured? I'm pretty sure they have already done everything they can with his eye? That's just the way it's gonna be for him from now on.

From what I know they have done everything they can with the eye, but he didn't have any chance to actually work out and try to get better.
Posted Image

#51 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Doesn't Kesler already need another surgery? If anything this will just be another summer where he'll sit out rehabbing.

Kesler as much as I like the way he plays we may be seeing more and more of this as he gets older. He is just so hard on his body.

#52 Bieksasangryface

Bieksasangryface

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

No. The upside is now I dont spend 200 bucks a week for the next 2 months sucking pints. Wait, thats a downside.

#53 nucklehead53

nucklehead53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

Finishing as a runner up to the Cup and getting knocked out in the 1st round is the same thang.

Maybe, (in the sense that there is no cup), but maybe not. If the Canucks were runners up, there may not be as much "trade Kesler and the rest of the core" talk as there is no
It only takes one hard fought series to make a rivalry

#54 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

I don't believe in this rest bullsh!t. These guys are proffesional athletes, they do not need so much rest. Kesler, yes, the hip surgery, but he had a whole 82 game season to get up to par.
Posted Image

#55 Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Using your analogy, Kesler was the one with the strained wrist and Linden was the one with the broken leg.

Linden played the last 4 games of the Stanley Cup with cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage. http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=397641

Kesler played with a shoulder injury that wasn't bad enough to even be given a maintenance day down the stretch.

Thanks for that article, great read!!

#56 Kes_4_Pres

Kes_4_Pres

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

I definitely agree for three reasons:
  • The rest is huge for guys like Ryan Kesler, Daniel Sedin, and Kevin Bieksa. All three of them were laboring at different points within the season and they clearly couldn't play to their full potential due to injury.
  • The off-season will also bring more time for guys such as Kassian, Gragnani, and Booth to get more well-acquainted and used to the Canucks system (though yes, I know Booth should fully understand everything by now, I'm still not giving up on him).
  • The summer means we'll likely have a big trade of some sort on the way. This is very exciting and it could very well be the move that puts us over the top.
Just my opinion, but I think that as far as our 2012-2013 run for the cup goes, this early exit is a good thing.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Proceeds go to a translator for Alex Burrows."
-Bieksa on Ryan Kesler's clothing line.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.