The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Trading Luongo Will Not Bring Us Back One Highly Paid Superstar Player

I would assume that Gillis will try to have Schnieder signed before he starts trade talks with teams for Luongo. I could be wrong but just a scenario what if we trade Luongo and some team puts in a really high offer sheet in on Schnieder something that the Canucks are not able to match this would screw the Canucks.

Someone correct me if I am wrong

Why?

Because if I remember correctly, Mike Gillis believes in the money ball philosophy.

In the event that Roberto Luongo does get traded, it would give MG the chance to hit the proverbial "reset" button at the goaltending position and sign Schneider (hopefully) to a more reasonable contract that isn't 12 years long. Cory is probably worth somewhere in the range of 4-5M right now, but I'm not sure how long of a term he would want to sign for.

Lastly, If Gillis was somehow able to trade Luongo, I'm guessing he would want a return that is more spread around and not locked into one player so that he could fill more gaps in the lineup. Understandably so, we would have to take some salary back regardless of where Luongo goes but again I believe MG would prefer to have it spread around so it's easier to manage going forward. A pick, roster player and a prospect would be an ideal return for Luongo as opposed to just one highly paid player.

It just surprises me that so many people here seem to think that real life is actually NHL 12 and the "Luongo for Kovalchuk" or "Luongo for Parise" threads/comments run rampant.

I think it actually will bring us one highly paid star simply becuase in order to take on Luongo's massive contract a team will have to get rid of another big long term contract.

Luongo for LeCav actually makes some sense IMO.

I've made this proposal before and I think it makes sense

Van

Luongo, Tanev, 1st (mid 20's)....they get their goalie, a young solid d prospect ready to be a regular player, and get to keep two first rounders

Tb

Malone, Connolly, TB's 1st (10th)

canucks get tougher with malone, but still keep the skill, a young blue chip power forward, and a high first pick.

Salaries even out, for the most part

A major issue with any of these projected line-ups after dealing with TB is that so many of the assets the Canucks would like have NTC's. It's one thing to know that the guy on your side has waived his, but there's no certainty that the guys with TB will waive theirs.

About the only guy TB has who isn't coverd by a NTC or is likely considered untouchable by TB is Purcell.

regards,

G.

The best match is T Bay and the target should be Hedman. Probably means a multi-player deal. People talk about the goalies available but IMO MG is sitting pretty with Lou as bait. He is in his prime and his CAP hit at $5.3 looks great compared to the others. MG does have to have Schneider signed beforehand and I suspect the hit will be $3.5M. I doubt MG takes any age back if he can avoid it.

Bottom line is that MG has a highly marketable goalie with about 8 serious buyers. Lou's 5 team list is simply that a list. Other serious contenders would probably be given an opportunity to convince him to come to their clubs. Let the dance begin. Another MG advantage is that he can take Schneider to arbitration which would give him all year to deal Lou. It puts pressure on all involved to deal seriously.

I've made this proposal before and I think it makes sense

Van

Luongo, Tanev, 1st (mid 20's)....they get their goalie, a young solid d prospect ready to be a regular player, and get to keep two first rounders

Tb

Malone, Connolly, TB's 1st (10th)

canucks get tougher with malone, but still keep the skill, a young blue chip power forward, and a high first pick.

Salaries even out, for the most part

I think the deal that has the best chance of happening is

Luongo, Ballard, 2nd

for

Brett Connolly, 1st

Tampa gets stabalization on D, and get the all star goalie they have lacked for so long. While in return Vancouver gets two high end prospects in Connolly and either Alex Galchenyuk or Matt Dumba.

Luongo will not bring us any elite or household names back unless it's a bad contract. Every team in the league knows the canucks are DESPERATE to dump Luongo now that he wanted out of the city and they need to move him before they are able to sign Schneider to anything long term. So why would another team give out significant value for a player that's clearly not happy in the city anymore just so they can improve vancouver?

Luongo will not bring us any elite or household names back unless it's a bad contract. Every team in the league knows the canucks are DESPERATE to dump Luongo now that he wanted out of the city and they need to move him before they are able to sign Schneider to anything long term. So why would another team give out significant value for a player that's clearly not happy in the city anymore just so they can improve vancouver?

Teams trying to acquire Luongo have to remember one thing; Roberto Luongo may not even play the full 10 years that are remaining on his contract. It runs until he is 43 years old and not many players play until that age. That being said, it could be more like an 8 or even 7 year contract which isn't a bad deal at all considering he'll only be making 3.4M then 1.0M in those final years. If he's still playing in the league at that point, it'll be because he can still hack it. Luongo has too much pride to continue playing if his skills are so bad that he's embarassing himself out there.

Imagine we trade Luongo to Tampa Bay and it sets off like a chain reaction of trades hahah. Luongo to Tampa, then Tampa wants to make cap space so they trade Lecavalier to Montreal or Calgary or something, then just a ripple effect continues on.

I think the deal that has the best chance of happening is

Luongo, Ballard, 2nd

for

Brett Connolly, 1st

Tampa gets stabalization on D, and get the all star goalie they have lacked for so long. While in return Vancouver gets two high end prospects in Connolly and either Alex Galchenyuk or Matt Dumba.

Archived