The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oilers' Proposed Arena To Have Futuristic Look, Unique Shape *updated May 16Th

Guess I'm the only one who thinks it looks stupid and seriously lame for a hockey arena. Looks like an art gallery or a museum. Also give that thing 20-30 years and it'll look incredibly dated.

I love a traditional looking arena like Rogers or the Colosseum that just screams hockey. Not a big blob of crap that makes you feel you're going to go see some interpretative art...

Guess I'm the only one who thinks it looks stupid and seriously lame for a hockey arena. Looks like an art gallery or a museum. Also give that thing 20-30 years and it'll look incredibly dated.

I love a traditional looking arena like Rogers or the Colosseum that just screams hockey. Not a big blob of crap that makes you feel you're going to go see some interpretative art...

It's not even 20 yet (first Canucks season there was 95/96)

Just to compare, I'll list the arenas from newest to oldest:

Consol Energy Center (Pittsburgh Penguins) - 2010

Prudential Center (New Jersey Devils) - 2007

MTS Centre (Winnipeg Jets) - 2004

Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix Coyotes) - 2003

American Airlines Center (Dallas Stars) - 2001

Nationwide Arena (Columbus Blue Jackets) - 2000

Xcel Energy Center (Minnesota Wild) - 2000

Staples Center (Los Angeles Kings) - 1999

Air Canada Centre (Toronto Maple Leafs) - 1999

PNC Arena (Carolina Hurricanes) - 1999

Pepsi Center (Colorado Avalanche) - 1999

BankAtlantic Center (Florida Panthers) - 1998

Verizon Center (Washington Capitals) - 1997

Tampa Bay Times Forum (Tampa Bay Lightning) - 1996

Wells Fargo Center (Philadelphia Flyers) - 1996

First Niagra Center (Buffalo Sabres) - 1996

Bell Centre (Montreal Canadiens) - 1996

Scotiabank Place (Ottawa Senators) - 1996

Bridgestone Arena (Nashville Predators) - 1996

Rogers Arena (Vancouver Canucks) - 1995

TD Garden (Boston Bruins) - 1995

United Center (Chicago Blackhawks) - 1994

Scottrade Center (St. Louis Blues) - 1994

Honda Center (Anahiem Ducks) - 1993

HP Pavilion at San Jose (San Jose Sharks) - 1993

Scotiabank Saddledome (Calgary Flames) - 1983

Joe Louis Arena (Detroit Red Wings) - 1979

Rexall Place (Edmonton Oilers) - 1974

Nassau Veterans Memorial Arena (New York Islanders) - 1972

Madison Square Garden (New York Rangers) - 1968

Considering 18 arenas (over half) were built in the 90's, the Canucks are on par with the NHL average in terms of age in arena. Only 7 teams have arenas built in 2000 or later.

• 3 months later...

And the plot thickens on the proposed new arena:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405646

I lived in Edmonton couple years ago and I think city council did this to themselves and Katz holds all the cards and knows it. Like almost all municipalities Edmonton really needs to revitalize their downtown and what better way than a new arena. Katz can always threaten to move the team and lets be honest - as much as it sucks the city of Edmonton needs the Oilers more than the Oilers need Edmonton. With that said I find it ironic a BILLIONAIRE needs public money to build an arena. Then again thats how most people become rich - using other people's money :)

Pretty cool, definitely would look awesome, I love the optimism of the fake buildings that have been added in the future though.

To those that are ripping Rexall it's on of the oldest buildings and they've been trying to replace it for awhile. As someone mentioned Pacific was comparable.

^ Then again thats how most people become rich - using other people's money :)

Ain't that the truth. :bored:

And the plot thickens on the proposed new arena:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405646

I lived in Edmonton couple years ago and I think city council did this to themselves and Katz holds all the cards and knows it. Like almost all municipalities Edmonton really needs to revitalize their downtown and what better way than a new arena. Katz can always threaten to move the team and lets be honest - as much as it sucks the city of Edmonton needs the Oilers more than the Oilers need Edmonton. With that said I find it ironic a BILLIONAIRE needs public money to build an arena. Then again thats how most people become rich - using other people's money :)

Bill Daly on new Oilers arena situation. “I don’t think concern (for the project) would be the right word”:

EDMONTON - Deputy commissioner Bill Daly isn’t taking sides in the Edmonton Arena debate.

The only thing he and the NHL are hoping for is a good deal that results in a rink.

“I don’t think concern (for the project) would be the right word,” he said during a break in Friday’s hearing with the Alberta Labour Relations Board. “But obviously we’re keeping informed on it.

“The commissioner has regular communications with Mr. Katz. He has been in contact with Mayor Mandel. We’ll continue to monitor; our role is to be as helpful to the process as we can be.”

Despite hitting a very rocky patch in the last few days with Mandel calling on Katz to let the people of Edmonton see what he’s really asking for, and Katz refusing, Daly doesn’t think the project is coming off the rails.

“There’s a lot of issues like this where you get into important, detailed expensive negotiations and you hit roadblocks along the way. Hopefully we’re able to successfully navigate those roadblocks.”

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/09/21/daly-neutral-on-new-oilers-arena-deal

Archived