115 replies to this topic

#91 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

And Oilers execs were in Seattle yesterday to tour KeyArena.

Nice little bluff. Very interesting to see if the city will cave to their demands.

Rumors I read that was if the Edmonton deal doesn't go through the most likely route is Katz sells and buys in Seattle. Also that he'd take much of the oilers office with him wich is probably a gift for Edmonton.
Posted Image

#92 Prngr44

Prngr44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

Well that's interesting. Kinda hard to just BUY in Seattle when there's nothing to purchase.

That's not to say he makes a pitch for an underperforming team elsewhere in the league with the intent on moving it to Seattle, but that's easier said than done.
I hate the Canucks so much they're my second favorite team.
Posted Image

#93 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406068

Katz is a freaking a-hole. He has now retracted his offer of putting up 100$ million towards construction costs on the new building. He is assuming the tax payers would be willing to take the brunt of a 450$ million arena (now asking 475), while he has offered to only pay 5.5 million a year for the next decade in a lease agreement. He is also asking that 11 months of the year, the entire profit of the building is to go in his pocket- that includes close to 20$ million in concession sales annually. The only thing holding up this process is now Katz doesn't want to pay the estimated 10$ million a year in operating costs, he's asking the tax payers to take a 6$ million subsidy off of this operating cost. Katz is willing to pay 5.5$ million back to the city for what is a huge gift, while asking for 6$ million in cover operating costs. This guy is a clown.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#94 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,218 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

Rumors I read that was if the Edmonton deal doesn't go through the most likely route is Katz sells and buys in Seattle. Also that he'd take much of the oilers office with him wich is probably a gift for Edmonton.

and would doom seattle. i'd much rather levin (wolves owner) get a franchise in there. katz, and especially his management team, is horrible.

Edited by avelanch, 25 September 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#95 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406068

Katz is a freaking a-hole. He has now retracted his offer of putting up 100$ million towards construction costs on the new building. He is assuming the tax payers would be willing to take the brunt of a 450$ million arena (now asking 475), while he has offered to only pay 5.5 million a year for the next decade in a lease agreement. He is also asking that 11 months of the year, the entire profit of the building is to go in his pocket- that includes close to 20$ million in concession sales annually. The only thing holding up this process is now Katz doesn't want to pay the estimated 10$ million a year in operating costs, he's asking the tax payers to take a 6$ million subsidy off of this operating cost. Katz is willing to pay 5.5$ million back to the city for what is a huge gift, while asking for 6$ million in cover operating costs. This guy is a clown.

Wow. If this is the mindset of some owners, it's no wonder the NHL is in the state that it's in.

As Kevin O'Leary would say, Katz is a "greedy pig".

Edited by D-Bo7, 25 September 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#96 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

Wow. If this is the mindset of some owners, it's no wonder the NHL is in the state that it's in.

As Kevin O'Leary would say, Katz is a "greedy pig".

sadly Katz is only one of few billionare nhl owners in the leauge. That's how sad it is.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#97 TheDave

TheDave

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:33 AM

Dear god, someone needs to fix up Nassau Colosseum while they're at it. Rexall place is twice what the isles are workin with, as is..

Edited by TheDave, 26 September 2012 - 02:33 AM.

"If he doesn't stop that one, it's goin' in!"

- Bob Cole

#98 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

Dear god, someone needs to fix up Nassau Colosseum while they're at it. Rexall place is twice what the isles are workin with, as is..

They've had several owners try to replace it. They've all been shot down. Looks like the Isles might be moving.

#99 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 73,711 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

Gary Bettman regarding the Oilers arena issues: “We continue to believe that an arena deal is achievable and with a new arena there should be no reason to have any doubts about the future of the Oilers in Edmonton.”

307mg00.jpg

#100 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:15 AM

I'm into the design. The Oil are developing their image as the team of the future in more ways than one. I'm waiting for them to commission NASA to design them some rocket-skates.

#101 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

Arena is meh, it's a bit to flashy for an arena IMO. Still better than rexall
Posted Image

#102 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

Edmonton is nicer then so many goofs like yourself give it credit for. Ok I admit that that Vancouver is a beautiful city and is nicer. I've been there. Have you been to Edmonton? I doubt it. What is it either then the fact that its cold makes it such an awful place? 1 million people live in Edmonton buddy, it's a fact. I'm sure Vancouver has plenty of gross areas too. That's the case in every major city.

I've been there. Pretty recently too.

I was bored out of my mind.

The mall was okay. The only part I really enjoyed was the amusement park. But other than that, meh. Nothing to do. Not very pretty either. So much flat and unused land. It's not that great of a city. Neither is Calgary.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#103 FullMetalOilDrum

FullMetalOilDrum

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

I've been there. Pretty recently too.

I was bored out of my mind.

The mall was okay. The only part I really enjoyed was the amusement park. But other than that, meh. Nothing to do. Not very pretty either. So much flat and unused land. It's not that great of a city. Neither is Calgary.

Finally an opinion I can respect... I'll be the first to admit that Edmonton NEEDS some true infrastructure. Maybe once this arena gets built they'll build some hotels soon after. There's been plans for a second manulife building as well.
Respect my favorite team, and I will respect yours.

#104 PunjabiCanuck

PunjabiCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

Looks really good.

Best arena in the NHL when it's built? I feel bad for New Jersey, Pittsburgh, etc.

Copying my name eh?

#105 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

Been to Edmonton once, after the mall its quite boring. It doesn't have the downtown quality that Vancouver has.
Posted Image

#106 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

Have to look at 2 sides of the story. Wow, I am quite happy GM place was built in 1995. If it was to be built now, omg, 700 million bucks.

Hope Edmonton gets it done too, but if not, I don't see him moving the team to Seattle. Just can't happen. A team like Edmonton Can pretty much play at rexall place for a long time.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

#107 TheDave

TheDave

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

They've had several owners try to replace it. They've all been shot down. Looks like the Isles might be moving.

That would be so rough, considering they have more history & success than almost any other expansion team. (With the obvious exception of the Oilers..)I don't see why its so hard to get done..

"If he doesn't stop that one, it's goin' in!"

- Bob Cole

#108 Prngr44

Prngr44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

Arena deal dead. City walks away when Katz' team fails to back up demands for more public money.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407598
I hate the Canucks so much they're my second favorite team.
Posted Image

#109 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

This is so lame for Edmonton fans. What a douche owner to try, and apparently succeed so far, at holding the city as a whole as hostage for an arena ransom.

I'm no Oiler fan, but if they leave the city it would look pathetic on the leagues behalf.

#110 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,481 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

Watch Gary will fight tooth and nail to keep a team in Phoenix and do nothing to stop the Oilers from moving.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#111 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:14 AM

I am completely against publicly funded stadiums for billionaires. What a clown this guy is. He made a deal but now wants $250 million more. This is absolute nonsense.

Good to see the city stick up to him and tell him no. The team is not going anywhere. The BOG would have to approve any move and they won't let a team leave EDM. The city knows this so it's OK for them to play hardball.

I still can't believe the scam of BC Place. Taxpayers spent almost $700 million on a roof that doesn't even close when needed.

#112 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

I am completely against publicly funded stadiums for billionaires. What a clown this guy is. He made a deal but now wants $250 million more. This is absolute nonsense.

Good to see the city stick up to him and tell him no. The team is not going anywhere. The BOG would have to approve any move and they won't let a team leave EDM. The city knows this so it's OK for them to play hardball.

I still can't believe the scam of BC Place. Taxpayers spent almost $700 million on a roof that doesn't even close when needed.

Goverment said B.C place roof had private investors and no tax money was put into it. That being said I don't my B.C government anymore, as they've been lying to us ever since they won the olympic bid. Corrupt like those Chinese officals. I swear to god.

This is so lame for Edmonton fans. What a douche owner to try, and apparently succeed so far, at holding the city as a whole as hostage for an arena ransom.

He was once a hero, now a villain. He can afford to build the arena himself and still probably worth more then any one Aquilini. No joke.

I'm so grateful GM place was built 17 years ago. If we build the exact same arena today, it will probably cost us 600 million.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

#113 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:44 AM

Yep, Thanks to Arthur Griffith we didn't publicly fund GM Place. Arthur Griffith's naivete and lack of business skill nearly bankrupt him. He decided to build GM Place with his own money and bring in a NBA franchise. Lost it all in the process.

I guess I shouldn't be all that upset with Kratz for trying to get all the $ he can. If Arthur Griffith had a do over.........

Edit: OTT, TOR, MTL and VAN Arenas were all built with private funding. All 3 of OTT, MTL, VAN ownerships lost money or went bankrupt. Only TOR didn't change ownership due to financial problems.

Edited by WHL rocks, 20 October 2012 - 01:54 AM.

#114 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,481 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Yep, Thanks to Arthur Griffith we didn't publicly fund GM Place. Arthur Griffith's naivete and lack of business skill nearly bankrupt him. He decided to build GM Place with his own money and bring in a NBA franchise. Lost it all in the process.

I guess I shouldn't be all that upset with Kratz for trying to get all the $ he can. If Arthur Griffith had a do over.........

Edit: OTT, TOR, MTL and VAN Arenas were all built with private funding. All 3 of OTT, MTL, VAN ownerships lost money or went bankrupt. Only TOR didn't change ownership due to financial problems.

Somehow I don't see Art trying to get the type of deal that Katz is asking for. Art needed a partner and even though tax money might have been put into it, he'd have footed part of the bill, and gotten a low to no interest loan I'm pretty sure.

What Katz pretty much wants is the city to pay for everything and he gets all the profit and 5-6 million per year.
Then again isn't Glendale pretty much paying to keep the Coyotes there? :sick:
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#115 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 73,711 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Edmonton arena update: Oilers request invitation to speak at city hall:

On the subject of the stalled downtown arena project, Edmonton Oilers ownership has kindly requested the opportunity to make a presentation in front of city councilors on Wednesday.

The project hit a snag in October when the city ceased negotiations following the Katz Group’s request for additional funding.

“We are not invited,” Katz Group VP John Karvellas told the Edmonton Journal. “We don’t have a right to say anything. They have to resolve to permit us to say something. The arena is a topic on the agenda on Wednesday and we’ve requested an opportunity to speak to that item on the agenda. But it will be up to city council on Wednesday morning to determine whether they give us that opportunity.”

http://prohockeytalk..._medium=twitter

307mg00.jpg

#116 kacvan

kacvan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Interesting concept very unique. Personally I don't quite care for it but only because of the part that leads away from the arena that I find is just wierd.
Posted Image

Keep The Faith The Canucks Will Win!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.