The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[The Province] Raymond, Malhotra Might Not Fit In Picture Next Season

-Vintage Canuck-

Will we see both of them in a Canucks Uniform?  

387 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Manny Malhotra has been through a lot since his eye injury, and I believe he still has the goods to be a real force for this team. Like any player, he may get traded as part of a package deal, if the Canucks as presented with an opportunity to gain a dramatic upgrade in scoring talent. But, I wouldn't bet on it.

MG still believes in Mason Raymond, no matter what we may think, and I would bet he will still be with the team next year. Yet another player who has been through a horrendous injury. He may have trouble staying on his skates, but I'm thinking the Canucks still believe he has too much future potential to let him go just yet.

Just picked a random post for this, but why does nobody ever make trade proposals and beg for gillis to bring in cal clutterbuck? He is one of the most annoying players to play against (tv perspective) and always finishes atop the league in hits? Does wild just have a falcon death grip on this guy or am I just seeing something different?....thoughts? (where would I normally post things like this? I didn't make a whole new topic for this so don't hate on me) btw it kinda works for this topic, this guy takes Raymond's spot on the team ;)

Raymond should be gone unless we can sign him for 1.5 million or less.

Malhotra has a NTC but I'd rather see this team go on without him. There are plenty of good faceoff men in the league who can kill penalties and although Malhotra is one of them, he's been brutal defensively all season long and costs way too much for a 4th line center. Lapierre can fill that role perfectly well if we keep Pahlsson as well.

I'd like to go looking for a solid scoring 3rd line center (Hodgson would have been perfect, but he ended up being too selfish, not MG's fault), bumping Pahlsson to the 4th line center, leaving Lapierre to roam around the lineup and giving Hansen and Raymond/Kassian a good playmaker to make them better scorers on the 3rd line. Our 3rd line was great with the playmaker Hodgson, Hansen was scoring at a nice pace and even Raymond was blooming before the deadline.

Raymond should be gone unless we can sign him for 1.5 million or less.

Malhotra has a NTC but I'd rather see this team go on without him. There are plenty of good faceoff men in the league who can kill penalties and although Malhotra is one of them, he's been brutal defensively all season long and costs way too much for a 4th line center. Lapierre can fill that role perfectly well if we keep Pahlsson as well.

I'd like to go looking for a solid scoring 3rd line center (Hodgson would have been perfect, but he ended up being too selfish, not MG's fault), bumping Pahlsson to the 4th line center, leaving Lapierre to roam around the lineup and giving Hansen and Raymond/Kassian a good playmaker to make them better scorers on the 3rd line. Our 3rd line was great with the playmaker Hodgson, Hansen was scoring at a nice pace and even Raymond was blooming before the deadline.

Did any of you actually read the article?

He has a lot of catching up to do, he has been unable to strengthen the area of the injury. I am so glad that MG treats these players like decent people as opposed to many on here who would sell their folks for a Stanley Cup.

We need to be sure about both before we let either go. I think we made a big mistake with Sammy. We don't want to make the same mistake again.

As for having better in Chicago. Honestly I think some of you are no better at watching these games (if you do watch them) than Canucks games. Sweatt, Jensen, Schroeder are almost ready but ultimately they will not have strong enough games to go a full season next year. Raymond and Manny are streets ahead of them just now.

Raymond had one fluke year, give it up. Its his positional play that he refuses to change and why he'll never return to a 25 goal scorer. Plus he disappears in the playoffs every year.

Malholtra is done. Sorry he's never in position and always off receiving and giving passes.

Keeping these two resulted in the first round exit. Manny and Raymond were both on the 4th line in the end and they had to get another checking center instead. Thus three unproductive components that could of been improved on.

Just picked a random post for this, but why does nobody ever make trade proposals and beg for gillis to bring in cal clutterbuck? He is one of the most annoying players to play against (tv perspective) and always finishes atop the league in hits? Does wild just have a falcon death grip on this guy or am I just seeing something different?....thoughts? (where would I normally post things like this? I didn't make a whole new topic for this so don't hate on me) btw it kinda works for this topic, this guy takes Raymond's spot on the team ;)

Sign Raymond and try to make him something worth of value, like Hodgson, let him play the offensive zone and then make him someone that could bring us a good return. Even if Raymond regains his game, I really don't see him fitting on this team unless he turns into a play-maker, pass first type player to set up Kesler and Booth.

Malhotra, I'd definitely keep. He's even acknowledging the fact he knows he hasn't been in the form he expects of himself and he stated he would spend the off-season to regain his form. There is no rush to move Malhotra now, let him come back and let's see the type of player he comes back as. If he comes back into the form we were all expecting, he would be a huge contributor to this team all over the ice, face-offs, PK, offense, and grit. If he doesn't, I think he'd still be movable by the deadline, last year in the contract who has great character and leadership qualities. I don't see Malhotra going anywhere.

And Kesler is a must keep, Ballard can stay too. Kesler has had a bad season due to his injury, I still don't understand why he was so rush to get back and don't understand why he played with the shoulder injury. But I remember the off-season before last year he spent the off-season working on his wrist-shots and he definitely made it useful last year, but this year he couldn't really do anything in the off-season due to surgery. I really think he will make this coming off-season count and redeem himself, he's a huge member of this core and in an article he said he'd work with Booth this off-season and try to get things to work. Now that's a type of player I'd want on my team, he knows he's been off, he knows him and Booth haven't been clicking but he accepts that reality and putting a good attitude towards working on those things.

3 years ago Raymond was a prototype player with his speed and the NHL's obstruction penalties, he drew a ton of penalties and our powerplay made them pay. A lot has changed, Big forwards and the trap is back, never see obstruction even called anymore.

and the following season both players were an integral part of our cup run...so your point is you jumped the gun and now feel stupid? granted in 2009 and 2010-11 they werent injured and they performed far better than this past season...either way, admitting you claimed they had no place on this team pre-injury, and right before we made a 7 game cup run only proves stupidity on your part...not to mention raymond had a career year after that.

they're both coming off injuries and both capable of reaching where the once were, i wouldnt mind seeing an improvement in raymonds slot but getting rid of manny would be a mistake.

Archived