Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[The Province] Raymond, Malhotra Might Not Fit In Picture Next Season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
146 replies to this topic

Poll: Will we see both of them in a Canucks Uniform?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Will we see Mason Raymond in a Canucks Uniform next season?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Will we see Manny Malhotra in a Canucks Uniform next season?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 WEwantCUP

WEwantCUP

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

when it comes to Malhotra, I'd like to see him with a full summer of workouts and conditioning, and see how he performs next season. Maybe he can get back to the way he played in his first season here. In fact, AV leaned on him a lot to win d-zone faceoffs against the Kings and he was damn good, even though Pahlsson was supposed to be the 3rd line centre winning important draws. As for Raymond, I don't know what Gillis could get for him. His trade value must be at an all time low

Edited by WEwantCUP, 25 April 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#32 rotiman187

rotiman187

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

No to raymond unless he signs a low 2 way contract(not happening) Malhotra s a great guy but that injury really affected him and it may be time to move on.
Posted Image

#33 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

I'm assuming Malhotra will be brought back. His face-off ability is still great, and with a full off season to train and start to feel good about himself, I think he can re-capture the game he displayed two years ago when he first got here.

We all remember two years ago, right? How we had a shut-down third line that could check any other team's top line into the ice, and how we didn't care if they scored all that much? And how that, with the scoring from the top two lines would equal the Cup? And how that all changed when Malhotra got injured? I believe that him at center, with Higgins and Hansen on the wings, will be great next year.

Raymond, I hate to say it but I suspect he will be moved, one way or another. He may be packaged in the assumed upcoming goalie trade, or his contract may be left just a bit too long on the back burner such that another team will be able to submit an offer sheet. If the deal is good enough, I think he should take it, and if the deal is good enough then Gillis will let him.

What would be a good enough deal as far as Gillis is concerned? I suspect that it is something which gets the team the highest 2nd round pick possible, but a first rounder would be better.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#34 Ewok

Ewok

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

Raymond - does not fit in the top 6 or bottom 6.
Malhotra - makes too much for a one dimensional player.

The Canucks want to get younger and bigger, getting rid of these 2 would be a start and open up room for Jensen and Schroeder.

Barring any trades, I wouldnt mind seeing this lineup next season.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Jensen - Kesler - Booth
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Kassian - Lappiere - Weise

No. I want our team have a strong top six, I'm tired of the team throwing in some crappy forward to fill the hole in our top six.

#35 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,922 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Can't have a 2.5 million dollar fourth line center no matter how good he is at faceoffs. I like him as a player, but it's clear his career is on the downhill.

I think Stefan Schneider is ready to take over fourth line duties.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#36 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 80,697 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Can't have a 2.5 million dollar fourth line center no matter how good he is at faceoffs. I like him as a player, but it's clear his career is on the downhill.

I think Stefan Schneider is ready to take over fourth line duties.

Agreed, also get rid of Ballard. His cap hit is pretty high for him to be on the 3rd pairing.

307mg00.jpg

#37 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,922 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

No. I want our team have a strong top six, I'm tired of the team throwing in some crappy forward to fill the hole in our top six.

Jensen isn't a crappy forward but he's probably not ready.

I would rather see a lineuplike this though:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Booth
Kassian Schroeder Hansen
Weise Lapierre Volpatti

Hamhuis Suter/Wideman
Edler Tanev
Bieksa Salo

Luongo
Lack

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#38 Fateless

Fateless

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

I hope Raymond is packaged with Luongo for either a top 6 power forward + prospect, or a top 2 defenseman + prospect.

We need to add some scoring to our team. Would love to add someone to fill the void that Ehroff left behind.

i1u6zif.gif

#39 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

I said this in 2009 about both players

Of course you did. :shock:

Malhotra didn't even play here in 2009, dude.

If Gillis can improve the team internally or via trade or free agency, he will do it. If not, you have a top 10 face-off guy in Malhotra and two solid, defensively responsible players for your bottom 6.

Raymond has the skill set to play a shutdown role and he has proven in the past that he can score, too.

Neither player has much value in the trade market.

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#40 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

Raymond - does not fit in the top 6 or bottom 6.
Malhotra - makes too much for a one dimensional player.

The Canucks want to get younger and bigger, getting rid of these 2 would be a start and open up room for Jensen and Schroeder.

Barring any trades, I wouldnt mind seeing this lineup next season.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Jensen - Kesler - Booth
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Kassian - Lappiere - Weise

i say let hansen and jensen play together two great danes... maybe have the amax line?

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Higgins
Hansen Schroeder Jensen
Moen Lappy Kassian

Pretty sound line up

#41 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

I guess you didn't hear MG say that he wanted the team to get BIGGER and STRONGER.

younger bigger stronger....... sounds like Jensen

#42 GeekedOutNuck

GeekedOutNuck

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

keep manny cuz he is more valuable then raymond... does more good then bad unlike raymond always embarrassing himself everytime he touches the puck hahahahah :picard:

#43 clutchburr

clutchburr

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

I wouldn't mind Manny going back to being a 3rd line center if he can put up at least 30 points next year and finish a +10 or higher. Hansen, Manny and Higgins is a very solid checking line and would hopefully put up at least 45 goals in the process.

Raymond is a goner, no ifs or buts. Assuming Booth remains on the team (and I think he will), the Canucks will need a play-making winger to play on the 2nd line.

#44 py17

py17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Manny has a no trade.... its not going to be easy to trade him. At 2.5million who will take him with that eye injury.

#45 enterin

enterin

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Im tired of people saying just call up schroeder and jensen. I am fine with jensen but schroeder is to small for the third line

Yeah tell Martin St. Louis that...Theo Fleury ect how about Cliff Ronning should I stop now

Edited by enterin, 25 April 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#46 taib mahmud

taib mahmud

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Keep Raymond ...... dump Pahlsson!!

#47 vancityboi

vancityboi

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Raymond needs to go.

#48 austy

austy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

Jensen isn't a crappy forward but he's probably not ready.

I agree, he looked a bit slow in the pre season, although I haven't seen him play since then. Does he mancari or Schroeder speed currently?

Edited by austy, 25 April 2012 - 07:49 PM.

please be gentle with my posts...I am Australian, hockey isnt my first language.

#49 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

sedins-burrows
latendress or whitney-kesler-boot
higgins-lapierree-hansen
moen-manny-kassian/weise

#50 Touchet

Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

MG should buy out Manny's contract, then re-sign him for less.

If Raymond can be had for less then 2 million, re-sign him. If not then trade him.

Wow, you're clueless. That'd be a pointless and a classless move by MG. Just so you know, there'd be a buyout penalty that would still count against the cap and after you add in his new lower salary you'd save nothing on the cap. Plus why would someone accept the slap in the face of a buyout and accept a cheaper contract with the same team?!

troll-dad-jump.pngtroll-dad-jump.png

#51 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

I don't see how MG can keep Raymond if he really wants to give a guy like Jensen a shot UNLESS MG is fine with having a $1-2M contract sitting in the press box.

In fact, if the Canucks are going to graduate guys from the Wolves, they have to make room for them in the top 9 IMO. Keeping Raymond creates competition, yes, but is it worth it at this point? In my opinion, the answer is no.

#52 justsayin

justsayin

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

younger bigger stronger....... sounds like Jensen

I think Jensen actually has a decent chance to make the team next season if he continues to progress like he has been. My comment was more based on Schroeder. Both were highlighted because they were in the users original post and I simply didn't change it.

#53 Sedinery22

Sedinery22

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

YESSSSS THANK YOU MANNY IS FINE FOR THE FOURTH BECAUSE LAPIERRE CAN PLAY THE THIRD LINE ALREADY

i don't know about Manny Malhotra he hasn't been the same since his eye injury, -11 in the season, worst minus on the team and then -2 in this years playoffs, no points and don't forget that bad giveaway, behind the net cost us a goal..in a crucial game in this year's playoffs.. Van last year... made it all the way to the finals without him....he hasn't been much of a factor, so i'd say manny has to go!

#54 Smyl ( :

Smyl ( :

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

cut the fat....lean and mean is the way to go on the bottom of the roster...fight for there ice time...their roster spots should never be "gauranteed"..makes for soft complacent performance, there needs to be more of a battle for ice time ie a push from the bottom six (which was one thing Hodgson did..) players get cut it happens..I hate trap checking style hockey but that's what the playoff's are now.When a ref put's the whistle away you fear for player's like Manny or Raymond.

#55 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

if hes giving raymond a second try i think manny will get one too
Posted Image

#56 raymond5

raymond5

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

Keep Raymond ...... dump Pahlsson!!

I totally agree but Pahlsson is a great player

#57 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,497 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

mg cant be taken seriously if he rosters manny and raymond next season.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#58 jimsandlak83

jimsandlak83

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

I agree with this article in that Raymond and Malholtra are the odd men out. I wish we could unload Booth's contract too but that's very unlikely. In terms of our players next year:
Sedins/Burr
Booth_Kesler ______
Hansen____Higgins
____Lapierre Kassian

In my opinion we have 3 spots which could use significant upgrading. Burr, Hansen, Higgins, and Lapierre are moneyball players in my mind (you're not going to get much better for the amount they make).....this leaves us with 3 spots that could use significant upgrades.....however, I don't think you can get rid of Booth's contract.

Those 3 spots will be relying on: trades (ie. what Luongo can bring back), emerging prospects (are Schroeder or Jensen or Rodin going to make a push?), or Free agents .

Also, does Kassian have to be a top 6 next year to develop properly? Maybe he moves up to the third .....

Edited by jimsandlak83, 25 April 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#59 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

I would be shocked if Raymond is back next season.. How long are we gonna keep going back to this "25" goal season of his; the guy is useless in the playoffs. Malholtra would be the perfect 4th line center if only he was making a million less but i don't see the team trading him.

#60 Harbor Master

Harbor Master

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Think it's time to part ways with Raymond, hope he can be included in a trade with one of our goalies at draft day.
Well that's what I'am predicting anyways.
As for Manny, I think he has been just fine. Would like to see him play out his contract.
Really hope we get a good winger for kes. In our goalie trade.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.