The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Classy Bruins Fans

Visp

Better be careful about the holier than thou attitude, it wasn't too long ago Luongo was being booed in his own rink. It's ok for us to riot and boo our own team, but Boston fans are held to a higher standard?

Not sure if your memory is short, or just selective.

Bruins deplore 'classless, ignorant' comments directed at Ward

In response to a string of racially motivated and disgusting tweets from Bruins fans aimed at Washington Capitals forward Joel Ward following his overtime game-winning goal in last night’s Game 7 at TD Garden, the Boston Bruins have released a statement on Thursday afternoon.

The statement denounces the cowardly, hate-borne tweets and disassociates the club from the misguided small faction of the B’s fan base that embarrassed themselves by channeling their sports anguish into misguided hate.

Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis has already come out with his own blog post denouncing the racist fans and openly hoping that they can be brought to public scrutiny for spreading their racist toxic waste on twitter.

Here is the statement from the Bruins:

“The Bruins are very disappointed by the racist comments that were made following the game last night. These classless, ignorant views are in now way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization.”

Hey babe, I don't think our positions are all that different. Vancouver rioters have no place to talk, and the Luongo boobirds shouldn't make a peep when Boston boos their own PP. The rest of us with clear consciences should simply remember that the broad brush that painted you and I as looters and hooligans should not be used to colour all Bruin fans as racists.

Ps, I still like that profile pic ... Meow!

I, for one (along with many, MANY others) did not boo Luo out of the rink. I, for one (along with many, MANY others) did not riot and set fire to cars and loot and commit vandalism. As such, I don' think those of us who remained steadfast Canucks fans without resorting to the above behavior should be castigated for having an opinion or commentary on the behavior of a certain segment of Bruins fans who displayed some shameful and downright disgusting behavior last night.

Holier than thou? I do not accept responsibility for behavior I (and many others) have not committed....that honour goes to those who did riot and boo and commit acts of vandalism and looting. And as such, no, they have no right to cast their opinion on the low behavior of some Bruins fans. The majority of us who did not stoop so low (and would never stoop so low to behave thus) have every right to speak to the low class behavior of the Bruins fans who behaved abominably and despicably last night.

You're right RDSS - no moral high ground for Vancouver - who also has a hair-trigger to boo the home team, and where losing has brought out the worst in us more than once....

I think this is more of a misery loves company kind of thing...

But when it comes down to it, if people have to take out their hate and frustration, prefer they do so on cars and windows as opposed to people and players.

i wish people could just take out their frustration on their pillow/punching bag. tweeting racist things and rioting are both bad/awful/unforgivable.

however, i think that rioting is worse than tweeting racist things. the people who rioted actually committed a crime. they damaged property (i forget how many millions in damages, but it was a lot.). many people lost their cars, and insurance didn't cover everything. it tainted the image of the city and there are lasting images of THOUSANDS and thousands of people in the street, either helping or cheering on hundreds of people who were attempting and succeeding in hurting police officers, bruins fans and fellow canucks fans. it takes a big step to grab a piece of metal and hurl it at a car.

posting racist comments on the internet is beyond stupid but it's not creating any physical damage. ward is smart enough to brush them off ("It doesn't faze me at all," Ward told USA TODAY Sports. "We won, and we are moving on. … People are going to say what they want to say."). i'm not saying no harm no foul (and i think people who do this should go to jail, or at least be fined). i just think that there's a lot of little internet warriors who say stupid things they may or may not mean behind the cover of partial anonymity. it's totally different than being in the open on a crowded street and physically damaging someone's property or their body.

Let me put it this way - when Alfredson had an anger management moment in game 6, smashed a stick, trampled on a water bottle, etc, or when a guy takes a bad penalty and gets thrown in the box, takes his stick, smashes the remote camera in the penalty box - generally, no one really gives a sh!t. It's a stick, a bottle, a camera, a piece of glass, whatever. I personally would rather have a broken pane of glass on my conscience than demeaning a person in a way that invokes that kind of history.

oldnews,

Agreed. NYR exit first round is the only thing this crazy first round is missing. It's unfortunate that as true blue Canuck fans, we are not allowed to watch the remainder of the playoffs.

Is it ok for us to watch the world championships? I'm sure team Canada is going to load up on players from the Prez Trophy winner...

Archived