The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo To Submit Shortlist (Chicago, Florida, Toronto, Tampa Bay)

It's gonna be a sad day when Luo is traded. I bet MG trades him before signing Schneider. After negotations, it turns out Schneider only wants a one year and walks the year after. Aaand we're left with Lack.

Wonder if GMMG will go for an impact player or a prospects + picks.

From Toronto I would really like to see Ty Biggs. He's going to be a solid powerforward (6'3, 210 pounds already) and his leadership qualities are always be spoken about. Jensen, Kassian, Biggs and LaBate would really help out the size & toughness issues Vancouver has always been plagued with.

Tyler Biggs + Luke Schenn + a 2nd for Luongo + Raymond?

Schenn is the big, hard-hitting right-sided defenseman the Canucks need to counterbalance Edler. No, he isn't Shea Weber, but he'd definitely balance the pairings more than MAG and Salo is getting quite old. He's proven he can handle the top minutes, sure his place wasn't great at the end of last year - but all of Toronto stunk it up. Schenn is a good defenseman.

Tampa there's the obvious talked about candidates: one of the 1st round picks, Brett Connolly or maybe Teddy Purcell. With Yzerman moving Ashton you have to think Connolly is untouchable. Richard Panik maybe though? He's a solid body, who wore the C for Slovakia at the WJC and tore it up.

Detroit's 1st + Richard Panik + another piece for Luongo?

Chicago?? That is surprising to me. But maybe he wants to play behind Seabrook and Keith and Toews again (who wouldn't?) like at the OGs where he won gold. I can't see them wanting to give up to much to Vancouver though.. I wonder if somehow GMMG could snag Patrick Sharp. More likely not though. I just don't see Chicago being the team.

Florida I don't imagine overpaying. I thought Tallon was going to be patient, but I guess he could change the plan because of the early playoff appearance. But would ownership want to pay another 6.7 million? Gudbranson would be the greatest pickup.. Maybe if GMMG took Upshall's paycheck as well? But that is probably bad cap management for a guy who would probably start in the bottom-6 in Vancouver..

I hope Toronto is the team that Vancouver makes a deal with. I feel like GMMG could get the most from Burke who should be in desperation to make the post-season.

I dunno, I was thinking if Luongo gets traded MG would want Schenn back.

A simple Luongo for Schenn trade. But if this team wants to run a 3 scoring line time would it be much too ask to get Connolly as well ? In this case, Toronto makes a lot of cap room and they take a huge step forward in youth movement if they can have both Colborne and Kadri playing in the NHL.. They could even look into the UFA pool to find a cheaper replacement for Connolly. Connolly doesn't have much value because of his high cap hit and he's only thrown in as a cap dump from Toronto's point of view. With Connolly gone, the center depth for Toronto would be: Bozak (chemistry with Kessel and Lupul), Grabovski, Kadri, , Colborne, Lombardi, Steckel + if they draft a center with their 5th overall pick. Schenn becomes expendable if Justin Schultz signs with them (best friends with Gardiner I believe). If we through in the rights of Raymond into the trade, their left wing depth becomes Lupul, MacArthur, Raymond, Ashton, Brown.

Something like:

To Van: Schenn + Connolly

To Tor: Luongo + late pick + rights to Raymond

In this trade, both teams gain.

But in the end, seeing Luongo gone is gonna make me a very sad man.

I dunno, I was thinking if Luongo gets traded MG would want Schenn back.

A simple Luongo for Schenn trade. But if this team wants to run a 3 scoring line time would it be much too ask to get Connolly as well ? In this case, Toronto makes a lot of cap room and they take a huge step forward in youth movement if they can have both Colborne and Kadri playing in the NHL.. They could even look into the UFA pool to find a cheaper replacement for Connolly. Connolly doesn't have much value because of his high cap hit and he's only thrown in as a cap dump from Toronto's point of view. With Connolly gone, the center depth for Toronto would be: Bozak (chemistry with Kessel and Lupul), Grabovski, Kadri, , Colborne, Lombardi, Steckel + if they draft a center with their 5th overall pick. Schenn becomes expendable if Justin Schultz signs with them (best friends with Gardiner I believe). If we through in the rights of Raymond into the trade, their left wing depth becomes Lupul, MacArthur, Raymond, Ashton, Brown.

Something like:

To Van: Schenn + Connolly

To Tor: Luongo + late pick + rights to Raymond

In this trade, both teams gain.

But in the end, seeing Luongo gone is gonna make me a very sad man.

I love that idea. Connolly is criticized a lot of on these forums, but he plays an underrated defensive game and has hands of gold.

A third line of Higgins - Connolly - Booth/Hansen/Kassian would definitely be a scoring threat, and Connolly can hold his own against top lines a lot better than Cody could at the beginning of this year.

However, with the two cap hits, I don't think the Canucks should have to throw anything in. Luongo for Connolly + Schenn would be a fair trade, and with BB desperate for a proven starter, a draft pick could probably even come the Canucks' way.

Luongo for Connolly, Schenn + a 2nd round pick 2012

Connolly would also give the Canucks a solid 2nd PP unit.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Huselius/Whitney - Kesler - Booth

Higgins - Connolly - Kassian

Malhotra/Lapierre/Moen - Pahlsson - Lapierre/Hansen

That would be a solid forward group, something along those lines and defense of:

Edler - Schenn

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Salo/Tanev

Alberts

+K-Conn & MAG.

Schneider

Giguere/Lack/etc

Exactly what I was thinking. But signing Huselius or Whitney to a cheap contract might prove to be difficult because though we do lose Bobby Luo's 5.333 million caphit, we take on 4.75, 3.6 and Schneiders (3 - 4.5 million) with an addition re-signing of depth players..

But the thing is that Schenn would plug the hole on the RD for a pretty fair 3.6 million. And the cap is expected to go up to 68+ and Connolly only has 1 more year on his contract, so the next year the Canucks would have a whack of cap space again.

Here's just on idea of how it would all fit under the cap:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Huselius (3.5) - Kesler - Booth

Higgins - Connolly - Kassian

Lapierre - Pahlsson (2) - Hansen

Depth forward (610,000)

Edler - Schenn

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts, Depth defenseman (750,000)

Schneider (3.75)

Backup (1)

Total cap: 66.85 and of course Schneider and the backup could both be making a bit less. Huselius or Whitney too (Whitney is only making 3 this year). Pahlsson might sign for less if the term is right. If Salo re-signs one of those defenseman's cap hit would have to be sent down anyway.

I think it could work out well. The next year the cap will probably go up to 70+ and the Canucks would have a ton of cap space (4.5 from Connolly, 2 from Burrows, 1.9 from Higgins, 1.1 from Lapierre, 3.25 from Edler and 1.225 from Alberts = just under 14 million + the higher cap ceiling (so probably roughly 16 million)) to figure out what direction to go in.

I'd rather have Franson then Schenn. Franson was only a -1 on a horrible defensive team in TO.

Plus, he was groomed by the Preds organization and Barry Trotz.

To TO:

Luongo

Rights to Raymond

2nd Rounder

To Van:

Komisarek

Brad Ross

Rights to Franson

Franson also battles long bouts of softness and laziness. He has potential, but he is not near the level of Schenn and hasn't had to log any hard minutes at this point.

If the Canucks could get Franson in the deal, that'd be fine, but that proposal is horrible for the Canucks.

Not every player is going to be a giant, though. Connolly isn't tiny at 6'1, 195 pounds and has a lot to offer besides physicality. Put him with two big wingers (Kassian & Booth for example) and that would be a pretty good 3rd line.

Add that to the fact that players like Gaustad aren't exactly going to help the Canucks' 2nd unit PP woes which seem to effect them more in the playoffs. Connolly has the offensive skillset to man a 2nd PP unit.

Archived