The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo To Submit Shortlist (Chicago, Florida, Toronto, Tampa Bay)

I agree with you that Schneider has been unproven in terms of starting 60-70 games for an NHL team, but a player has to start somewhere don't you think? How do you know Schneider can't take that next step? What if he becomes the next Lunqvist or Quick? You will never know until you try. We have already seen him to be a great back for 30 games, now its his time to shine. He is 26 years old not a 18 year old kid, when should he start? When he is 35?

^^^^^^^^^

While I agree with your post, I personally feel that I would be willing to move Luongo over Schneider. If you would of asked me at Christmas time, I was still in favour of Luongo, but as the season wore on, you really did see the great positioning that Schneider possesses. I say similar to Iginla, we should get rid of Luongo while is value is at a high, rather than during his decline. Maybe now is his best time to be traded.

On the other hand, with other teams knowing that Luongo is now moveable, Schneider's value may have just sky rocketed as teams that didn't make Luongo's short list may try to persuade Gillis to move Schneider instead.

It's good that we are getting rid of that horrible contract. But am I the only one who feels that this is being a tad bit rushed? I mean we were eliminated only less than 4 days ago. Can't this at least wait untill the draft?

Sorry, I call BS. No way Toronto is on his list, even if there is a list, which I doubt. If what has been reported today is true, he's asked for a trade. Which means he has officially lifted his NTC.

Gillis will field offers, knowing that Luongo's criteria are that the team be in the eastern timezone and that they are legitimate threat to win the Stanley Cup over the next five seasons. When he gest he deal he likes, he'll ask Lou if he's comfortable playing for that team.

Not only does Toronto not have a chance at winning the Cup over the next five seasons, they have little to offer to Gillis in a return package. Not to mention the media scrutiny in Toronto.

No way in hell he ends up a Leaf.

reign of luongo has come to an end.....goodbye luongo........ ill forever be a canucks fan......... but luongo has inspired me in the last few years that........ to whichever team he goes...ill follow him and cheer for that team as long as he's active there...... LUUUUUUUU <3

"Sources say..."

Are those the same sources that are close to celebrities that reveal all kinds of false nonsense to the press?

If he is going to submit a list, that means Gills officially asked him to waive his NTC. Wouldn't that be the first step in the whole ordeal anyway and the one that should get released to the press first?

1. Gillis asks for the waive.

2. Lu submits list

3. Negotiations begin.

People are jumping the gun again.

Am I the only one who hopes that we keep him?

He's the first goaltender in the team's history that has played consistently well. Even when he gets into slumps, he still plays well enough to give us a chance. This guy has won us games in the Stanley Cup Finals and is committed to doing whatever he can to take us there again, and we're just going to throw him away so that we can give the gig to an unproven Schneider? In all likelihood, this fanbase will be ranting about Schneiders play with by December.

Luongo if he goes to toronto will be for a good package of picks and prospects nothing less.

No way does gillis give him to toronto for crap, trust me toronto will need to overpay as gillis will not want to trade luongo to toronto. Gillis aint a fan of burke and he will not make burke into a playoff team by giving him luongo for peanuts, if another team offers a similar package to toronto gillis will definately take the other teams offer..Book it! He did it with cody he will do it with luongo.

It will take something like, Schenn and their first rounder for luongo.

I think LU is the instigator for this trade moreso thatn Gillis.  I think GIllis was hoping to have some time to assess the situation and explore keeping both goalies but Lu jumped the gun with his comments about his NTC.

I don't blame him.  Having to sit the last 3 games of the playoffs with all the media hype must have been very painful for him and a blow to his ego. He is not interested in being a "co-goalie" with Cory getting equal billing. He is a starter and wants to finish his career that way.

WHen AV decided to run with Cory, he had to know that would likely be the end for him and Lu. I wonder if MG and the Aquilinis were made aware of the decision and understood the ramifications?

I think part of the reason Schneider has been so successful is because Luongo carries the main workload and all the pressure. When Schneider plays he goes in with really nothing to lose. It is very easy for him to exceed expectations from coaches, media and fans. When Luongo plays he can NEVER exceed expectations and he can NEVER even meet expectations unless he wins the cup.

So really it's a no win situation for Luongo in Vancouver except for the fact that he makes a ton of dough to play here.

Personally I'm a little nervous about Schneider being #1. I'm not convinced he will be able to be as consistant as Luongo has been for us over the past 6 years. Luongo has been very very good. I'm going to miss him, plus I'm going to have to remove his life size decal from my son's bedroom wall. Maybe I'll slap schneider's face over top for a while if Lui goes....

??? What is "officially asking his to waive NTC"... I don't recall seeing that in the CBA?

Do you really think we are going to know what is going on through all this, and that they have laid out steps in order to keep us (and all the other GMs) informed?

We will hear nothing until after the playoffs are done and then Luongo will be moved.

Archived