The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo To Submit Shortlist (Chicago, Florida, Toronto, Tampa Bay)

Here's what I'm wondering, and it seems I'm not the only one thinking this way:

IF we go with Schneider, we'll definitely need to bring in an experienced NHL goalie to split the regular season games with, so who would that be likely to be? Someone like Vokoun? What other goalies will be available this summer?

Here's what I'm wondering, and it seems I'm not the only one thinking this way:

IF we go with Schneider, we'll definitely need to bring in an experienced NHL goalie to split the regular season games with, so who would that be likely to be? Someone like Vokoun? What other goalies will be available this summer?

So here are the teams that could be looking for an upgrade in goal this summer:

Florida

Tampa Bay

Washington

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

New Jersey

NY Islanders

Toronto

Ottawa

Detroit

Chicago

Columbus

Colorado

Edmonton

San Jose

Anaheim

Dallas

Winnipeg

You can eliminate the Islanders, Toronto, Dallas and Columbus right away because they will not contend for a Cup in the next five years.

Colorado, Edmonton, San Jose and Anaheim can be scratched off the list because they are too far away from Miami and Lou's in-laws.

Tha leaves Florida, Tampa Bay, Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Ottawa, Detroit, Winnipeg and Chicago.

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh would have to be considered long-shots because of their existing commitments to Bryzgalov and Fleury, respectively.  Washington would be on the long shot list because of the way Holtby has emerged for them.  And Chicago and Winnipeg would make this list because they are Chicago and Winnipeg.  The Hawks would have to offer Duncan Keith or Brent Seabrooke for Gillis to send Lou there, and the Jets...well, it's Winnipeg.

That leaves Florida, Tampa Bay, New Jersey, Ottawa and Detroit.

Florida is a no-brainer.  Tallon has that team well on its way back to respectiblity and it's home for the Luongos.  The Panthers also have a glaring need for an upgrade in goal, but do they have the assets to make the deal, and can Tallon convince ownership to invest in Luongo's contract?

The Lightning also appear to be a near perfect fit, but the question with Tampa Bay is, does a move like this fit into Steve Yzerman's philosophy?  With a limited budget, would he commit that much of it to the position of goaltender?

Ottawa seems a bit of a strange addition to the list given their recent commitment to Anderson.  But the Sens have been effectively retooled by Murray, and conventional thought is that there are a few people high up the food-chain inside the organization that are big believers in Luongo.  If the Sens made a legitimate offer, Anderson would be easy to move.

New Jersey, along with Detroit, are likely the perfect fits and the front runners to land Roberto.  Both have a glaring need for what Lou can bring, both have the financial resources to absorb his contract, and both have the assets to deal.

Of course, the stumbling block for the Devils is Brodeur, who apparently intends to come back for at least one more season.  But Lamarello won't miss out on the goalie bonanza this summer given he has nothing coming at that position from within.  No one is bigger than the team, even Brodeur.  

The Wings are in the Western Conference, at least for the time being, and that might make Gillis hesitant to send Luongo there.  However, when the smoke clears, I think this is where Roberto ends up.

Luongo for Hudler, Kindle and Howard.

I don't see why they have to.... do you ? Lou is 33, has a silly contract, and is on the downside of his career having been unsteated by an unproven 26 year old backup. As I said, Burke is gun shy after the Kessel trade...and he should be.

First off, I would like to show my appreciation for Lou on a) what he's done for this city and this franchise over the past few years B) how he's coped with such unjust treatment from fans (myself included at times) and c) handled this goaltending with situation with class.

However, it's quite clear that it is the dawn of the Cory Schneider era. I don't quite understand people who point to experience over the fact that Schneider has simply performed better this year, oftentimes in very crucial situations. The argument that we should keep Luongo follows a circular logic: To become an established goaltender, a goalie should have lots of icetime under his belt. To get more icetime, the goalie must be already established. How does that work?

If I was hiring for my company and looking at potential applicants, sure I'd favor the guy with lots of experience, good reference from his previous employers, and one who's demonstrated a great work ethic. However, would I turn away a kid straight out of college with a sparkling undergraduate GPA and has held many prestigious internships and positions in the past just because he's got less experience? No I wouldn't.

I actually think they'd do Gardiner straight up for Luongo. They'd have to bury Komisarek for it to work but I think the values pretty fair. Luongos contract is really a 6 year deal as I don't think anyone expects him to play longer than 39 and his cap hit is more than reasonable for a goalie of his pedigree.

Archived