The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo To Submit Shortlist (Chicago, Florida, Toronto, Tampa Bay)

I don't expect a lot back in return.It would be nice but I would think after all Roberto's done for us management will try and move him to his top team on the list no matter what we get back as a last gesture of goodwill and gentlemen type conduct in this transaction .We all know what he has done for us since he's been here and deserves the best treatment we can give him till the deals done.

This isn't a easy situation for any side involved.I am and seems there is many others that support Cory going forward but does not mean we don't feel for Lu and wish this situation never came about for him as a person.

People are overlooking the beautiful situation Gillis is in. Like the Hodgson trade, Gillis was waiting for 6 guys to become available to make the deal... Kassian became available and Buffalo pulled the trigger. Everyone GM in the NHL knows that Luongo is on the block... any team wanting to get an elite goaltender will have to compete with other teams offers. Gillis has probably established the price is a 1st pick and a prospect/young roster player. Once a team reaches this offer Gillis will likely pull the trigger. Elite goalies don't become available often and it's not so much teams don't want his contract but they want Luongo before another team does.

From Toronto I would really only like to get Gardiner/1st

From Tampa Bay there 1st/Hedman/Connolly/Panik

Guest BuckFoston

??? What is "officially asking his to waive NTC"... I don't recall seeing that in the CBA?

Do you really think we are going to know what is going on through all this, and that they have laid out steps in order to keep us (and all the other GMs) informed?

We will hear nothing until after the playoffs are done and then Luongo will be moved.

Well in that case since we will hear nothing official until then, maybe people should stop writing idiotic articles on every sports site with headlies "Official: Luongo asks for trade" since there is nothing official about it. Way to flush real journalism down the crapper, nothing but speculation and sensation in the news today. Can't even get a break in sports.

So here are the teams that could be looking for an upgrade in goal this summer:

Florida

Tampa Bay

Washington

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

New Jersey

NY Islanders

Toronto

Ottawa

Detroit

Chicago

Columbus

Colorado

Edmonton

San Jose

Anaheim

Dallas

Winnipeg

You can eliminate the Islanders, Toronto, Dallas and Columbus right away because they will not contend for a Cup in the next five years.

So here are the teams that could be looking for an upgrade in goal this summer:

Florida

Tampa Bay

Washington

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

New Jersey

NY Islanders

Toronto

Ottawa

Detroit

Chicago

Columbus

Colorado

Edmonton

San Jose

Anaheim

Dallas

Winnipeg

You can eliminate the Islanders, Toronto, Dallas and Columbus right away because they will not contend for a Cup in the next five years.

Colorado, Edmonton, San Jose and Anaheim can be scratched off the list because they are too far away from Miami and Lou's in-laws.

Tha leaves Florida, Tampa Bay, Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Ottawa, Detroit, Winnipeg and Chicago.

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh would have to be considered long-shots because of their existing commitments to Bryzgalov and Fleury, respectively. Washington would be on the long shot list because of the way Holtby has emerged for them. And Chicago and Winnipeg would make this list because they are Chicago and Winnipeg. The Hawks would have to offer Duncan Keith or Brent Seabrooke for Gillis to send Lou there, and the Jets...well, it's Winnipeg.

That leaves Florida, Tampa Bay, New Jersey, Ottawa and Detroit.

Florida is a no-brainer. Tallon has that team well on its way back to respectiblity and it's home for the Luongos. The Panthers also have a glaring need for an upgrade in goal, but do they have the assets to make the deal, and can Tallon convince ownership to invest in Luongo's contract?

The Lightning also appear to be a near perfect fit, but the question with Tampa Bay is, does a move like this fit into Steve Yzerman's philosophy? With a limited budget, would he commit that much of it to the position of goaltender?

Ottawa seems a bit of a strange addition to the list given their recent commitment to Anderson. But the Sens have been effectively retooled by Murray, and conventional thought is that there are a few people high up the food-chain inside the organization that are big believers in Luongo. If the Sens made a legitimate offer, Anderson would be easy to move.

New Jersey, along with Detroit, are likely the perfect fits and the front runners to land Roberto. Both have a glaring need for what Lou can bring, both have the financial resources to absorb his contract, and both have the assets to deal.

Of course, the stumbling block for the Devils is Brodeur, who apparently intends to come back for at least one more season. But Lamarello won't miss out on the goalie bonanza this summer given he has nothing coming at that position from within. No one is bigger than the team, even Brodeur.

The Wings are in the Western Conference, at least for the time being, and that might make Gillis hesitant to send Luongo there. However, when the smoke clears, I think this is where Roberto ends up.

Luongo for Hudler, Kindle and Howard.

He's 26 now. He isn't just a kid. He's earned the right to start and we can't keep putting it off. He's been waiting for a long time now. And Rinne, Luongo, Lunqvist were even younger than him when they became starters if I remember correctly. You have to begin somewhere. I do think we need a more experienced backup rather than Lack though.

No 5.3 for ten years for a goalie whose best years are behind him.... I mean Luongo doesn't guarantee anything, except that you are doing the Nucks a favor by taking that silly contract...

Nobody takes that contract without either giving a junk contract back or having it reduce the compensation in a big way.

Sad to say, based on article's I read, and reading the Leafs forums, as fans, they are not willing to part with Gardiner, or their 5th pick. At this point, I'm really not sure what they can offer us. I have to decline

The following Players Individually I'm not really a fan of

Komaserek. Just flat out awful. He has toughness, but he doesn't have the intangible's of a guy that can play "some offence" and he has 2 years left in his contract

Kadri. Attitude problem. Rumors from others Leafs fan, said that he was very unhappy about being sent back down to the farm team. Also not really a fan of his.

Phil Kessel. If they are willing to Trade Kessel to us, I will be ok with it, not super happy, but I will be fine with him. He an elite offensive player, top 5 shooters in the leauge, star player, 2 years left on his contract, sometimes lazy, he's only motivated when his team is winning. Again, i'm "OK" with him

Gardiner. According to leafs fans he's a no fly zone. So I guess we shouldn't talk about him. But honestly, if Burke is offering a bunch of players we don't want, there's no point in even bothering Calling Gillis.

5th pick. I'm not sure how the hell a pick can be "untouchable" But oh well. In the end it's Burke shooting himself in the foot. Gillis is not expecting something huge in return, that being said, we are not going to take another teams dirty Laundry.

Luke Schenn. Nuff said. Just a pile of meat. Not sure why we take him.

Lupul. Lupul is only that productive if he's given top line minutes. That spot is already occupied by Daniel Sedin. So no.

Sad to say, he won't be going Toronto this summer.

Sad to say, based on article's I read, and reading the Leafs forums, as fans, they are not willing to part with Gardiner, or their 5th pick. At this point, I'm really not sure what they can offer us. I have to decline

Komaserek. Just flat out awful. He has toughness, but he doesn't have the intangible's of a guy that can play "some offence" and he has 2 years left in his contract

Kadri. Attitude problem. Rumors from others Leafs fan, said that he was very unhappy about being sent back down to the farm team. Also not really a fan of his.

Phil Kessel. If they are willing to Trade Kessel to us, I will be ok with it, not super happy, but I will be fine with him. He an elite offensive player, top 5 shooters in the leauge, star player, 2 years left on his contract, sometimes lazy, he's only motivated when his team is winning. Again, i'm "OK" with him

Gardiner. According to leafs fans he's a no fly zone. So I guess we shouldn't talk about him. But honestly, if Burke is offering a bunch of players we don't want, there's no point in even bothering Calling Gillis.

5th pick. I'm not sure how the hell a pick can be "untouchable" But oh well. In the end it's Burke shooting himself in the foot. Gillis is not expecting something huge in return, that being said, we are not going to take another teams dirty Laundry.

Lupul. Lupul is only that productive if he's given top line minutes. That spot is already occupied by Daniel Sedin. So no.

The only asset that would be attractive to us from Toronto would be Schenn (They are in no way trading their 5th pick or Gardiner). At 22 years old he's still got alot of potential that the Leafs would be hesitant to unload

TB on the other hand have a few assets that would be atrractive (namely the 10th overall pick).....

Archived