The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo To Submit Shortlist (Chicago, Florida, Toronto, Tampa Bay)

Been on all the teams forums for a couple days. Except Tampa's of course since it was taking down for being hacked, but anyways this is what is 90% going to happen.

Loungo + draft pick for Franson and Connely

He wont go to Chicago - We wont trade him in our conference

He won't go to Florida - they don't want or need him

He won't go to Tampa - that would make them a heavy favorite to win the cup, and they want to trade Vinnie with a 7.7mil cap

Go to TO - He won't make the SC finals so it doesn't affect us.

I'd rather have Franson then Schenn. Franson was only a -1 on a horrible defensive team in TO.

Plus, he was groomed by the Preds organization and Barry Trotz.

To TO:

Luongo

Rights to Raymond

2nd Rounder

To Van:

Komisarek

Brad Ross

Rights to Franson

But the thing is that Schenn would plug the hole on the RD for a pretty fair 3.6 million. And the cap is expected to go up to 68+ and Connolly only has 1 more year on his contract, so the next year the Canucks would have a whack of cap space again.

Here's just on idea of how it would all fit under the cap:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Huselius (3.5) - Kesler - Booth

Higgins - Connolly - Kassian

Lapierre - Pahlsson (2) - Hansen

Depth forward (610,000)

Edler - Schenn

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts, Depth defenseman (750,000)

Schneider (3.75)

Backup (1)

Total cap: 66.85 and of course Schneider and the backup could both be making a bit less. Huselius or Whitney too (Whitney is only making 3 this year). Pahlsson might sign for less if the term is right. If Salo re-signs one of those defenseman's cap hit would have to be sent down anyway.

I think it could work out well. The next year the cap will probably go up to 70+ and the Canucks would have a ton of cap space (4.5 from Connolly, 2 from Burrows, 1.9 from Higgins, 1.1 from Lapierre, 3.25 from Edler and 1.225 from Alberts = just under 14 million + the higher cap ceiling (so probably roughly 16 million)) to figure out what direction to go in.

Been on all the teams forums for a couple days. Except Tampa's of course since it was taking down for being hacked, but anyways this is what is 90% going to happen.

Loungo + draft pick for Franson and Connely

He wont go to Chicago - We wont trade him in our conference

He won't go to Florida - they don't want or need him

He won't go to Tampa - that would make them a heavy favorite to win the cup, and they want to trade Vinnie with a 7.7mil cap

Go to TO - He won't make the SC finals so it doesn't affect us.

Can someone provide me with a rational reason why we wouldn't want Luke Schenn, aside from him having a sub-par season on an all-round underachieving, crappy Leafs team?

Because he seems to have all the qualities we've been in need of. Young, stay at home right side defenceman, 6'2", 220lbs, list of junior/ahl achievements, drafted 5th overall, and loves to hit a lot. I watch a fair bit of Leafs games and although he had a bad year, the whole team did and they seemed to be confused as to what kind of team they were trying to be. Add in a terrible year for all their goaltenders, and sure his stats suffered. But if we are looking to get both younger and bigger, a straight up trade consisting of Luongo for Schenn seems to work for us and them. I say Gillis should go for it if that's the offer.

Can someone provide me with a rational reason why we wouldn't want Luke Schenn, aside from him having a sub-par season on an all-round underachieving, crappy Leafs team?

Because he seems to have all the qualities we've been in need of. Young, stay at home right side defenceman, 6'2", 220lbs, list of junior/ahl achievements, drafted 5th overall, and loves to hit a lot. I watch a fair bit of Leafs games and although he had a bad year, the whole team did and they seemed to be confused as to what kind of team they were trying to be. Add in a terrible year for all their goaltenders, and sure his stats suffered. But if we are looking to get both younger and bigger, a straight up trade consisting of Luongo for Schenn seems to work for us and them. I say Gillis should go for it if that's the offer.

Agreed that it wouldn't just Schenn coming back. If it happens this would be the centerpiece of a larger trade. I think we take one of either Reimer or Monster to back up Cory (my vote would be Gustavsson). I see them wanting something like Raymond and Tanev. And we also take a prospect; contrary to what many here are saying, Toronto does have a few decent players coming up. Already mentioned in this thread would be Colbourne or Biggs.

I also like the suggestion of Armstrong, although for some reason I thought he was a center and could maybe take over that role on the 3rd, but looking him just now I see he's a RW.

Anyways, pure speculation all around, but count me in as one who likes the idea of trading with the Leafs. I think a lot of people here should make an effort to look past their Leaf-hatred and realize this could truly benefit the Canucks.

Archived