The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo To Submit Shortlist (Chicago, Florida, Toronto, Tampa Bay)

Oh sweet jebus, please not to the Leafs. I don't want to be affiliated with any team that helps Toronto get back in the playoffs. Imagen if Lu has an 06-07 type season in T.O and single handedly leads them back into the playoffs. He would be anointed their savior and we would look like idiots. The humiliation and shame from the media would be overwhelming! :sadno:

Wow. So soon. I must be the most naive person cause I was hoping both guys would be here next yr :( Must be a tough time for Lu.

Now knowing it's a reality (Murph tweets), I hope Gillis can find a way to get a good return. I'm on record for severely disliking the majority of Gillis draft decisions, trades and signings. I have little faith that he'll do the right thing, but I'm still hoping he'll find a way. NO more long ugly contracts, NO more unproven players and no more salary dumps from other teams. Please. If Florida calls, hang up.... immediately.

Curious how the players are impacted by this. Lu's been their guy for so long, I bet this is a hard time for them too.

to Van: Colbourne, Schenn

to T.o: Luongo

Colbourne is a 6'5 center that can skate and has offensive potential. Gillis said he wanted the team to get younger/bigger next year plus Colbourne is not a high profile prospect like kadri, gardiner, or even the 5th overall pick.

We pick up some salary off of T.O's books by taking a Schenn who is in the doghouse right now on that team. We get a very young, big defensemen who can still learn the game from our team.

Ugh, I really wish it didn't come to this.

Wow, I am totally surprised by this report. If true I think Lu's idea not MG's. He must be upset at being sat for the past 3 playoff games.

I still think the better thing to do is move Cory.

Mark my words CDC, if we trade Luongo the Canucks will struggle to make the playoffs next season.

Schneider has played a maximum of 30 games in the NHL, and most of these have been spot-starts which is why he's looked so good. This guy is still a kid and has no idea how to pace himself mentally or physically the way a professional starter in this league like Luongo, Lundqvist, Kipprusoff and Rinne do.

The one time Schneider played 7 consecutive games, he was blown out for 3 goals on less than 15 shots in a period, all of which were terrible goals. I am not yet ready to trust this guy with 60 games because he is far from the level Luongo is at.

Worst of all, we'll need to find a bonified backup who is capable of playing at least 20 games, because Schneider's numbers will be even worse if he's asked to play around the 70-game mark, and Eddie Lack is not that guy. The kid may look good in the AHL but has next to no NHL experience, and we can't risk our season, cup chances and possibly the final window of opportunity for our core on 2 mostly-unproven goalies who've never played full-time before.

So like I said before the Hodgson trade, trading Luongo will bite us in the butt, but losing a 3rd line center only cost us a bit of offence in the playoffs. Losing our franchise goalie will cost us wins every single day of the regular season. The way this defence has played all season, we wouldn't have made the playoffs without Luongo and we won't next year if we trade him without a substantial (Weber/Suter) upgrade on defence.

Mark my words CDC, if we trade Luongo the Canucks will struggle to make the playoffs next season.

Schneider has played a maximum of 30 games in the NHL, and most of these have been spot-starts which is why he's looked so good. This guy is still a kid and has no idea how to pace himself mentally or physically the way a professional starter in this league like Luongo, Lundqvist, Kipprusoff and Rinne do.

The one time Schneider played 7 consecutive games, he was blown out for 3 goals on less than 15 shots in a period, all of which were terrible goals. I am not yet ready to trust this guy with 60 games because he is far from the level Luongo is at.

Worst of all, we'll need to find a bonified backup who is capable of playing at least 20 games, because Schneider's numbers will be even worse if he's asked to play around the 70-game mark, and Eddie Lack is not that guy. The kid may look good in the AHL but has next to no NHL experience, and we can't risk our season, cup chances and possibly the final window of opportunity for our core on 2 mostly-unproven goalies who've never played full-time before.

So like I said before the Hodgson trade, trading Luongo will bite us in the butt, but losing a 3rd line center only cost us a bit of offence in the playoffs. Losing our franchise goalie will cost us wins every single day of the regular season. The way this defence has played all season, we wouldn't have made the playoffs without Luongo and we won't next year if we trade him without a substantial (Weber/Suter) upgrade on defence.

Archived