The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Is Neely. Hodgson Is Pederson.

Tofitian

If Zach could get any where near the player Neely was this is a win. Neely is a 50 in 50 guy. Not too many of those around. I think Zach is a Chris Neal guy. If he can match Neal's play I would be happy with the trade.

There's a much greater chance that Kassian turns out to be Steve Bernier rather than Cam Neely. Obviously, we should be hoping that he does reach his potential, which is probably a 50-70 point power forward.

Yes really.

Zack is 21. And, since the trade, he was not effective for us in the slightest at the age of 21. That's the only stat that counts.

Considering we are in a window to win now while the Sedin's are in their prime; trading for a guy who is not ready for the big time was a bad idea. Unless you get a dynamic young talent, trading for proven veterans is a much more proven tactic. Who cares if he develops when the Twins are 35.

Trading your more established talents for cheaper developing ones is a way teams rebuild, not win championships. Maybe MG thought he was managing Calgary in a bad dream?

Edit: But lets not give MG an out. When he made the trade, the speech was something like "the trade was made" to tip the scales back in our favour regarding some of the physical match ups we would face. That's paraphrasing, but what was said. More recently, it was made "for the future." That's as clear an indication as your going to get that he realizes now that he blew it. Very recently, amidst strong criticism, the conversation was put directly that Hodgson was a pain. It regressed into justification. Lets face the facts; amidst the frustration of dealing with CoHo he made a dumb decision!

Really? If you're gonna throw stats out there then throw them out for both sides. Bertuzzi? Tim Thomas? How long did it take them to develop? There's heaps more I just don't have the energy to look them up.

Really? If you're gonna throw stats out there then throw them out for both sides. Bertuzzi? Tim Thomas? How long did it take them to develop? There's heaps more I just don't have the energy to look them up.

Edit: But lets not give MG an out. When he made the trade, the speech was something like "the trade was made" to tip the scales back in our favour regarding some of the physical match ups we would face. That's paraphrasing, but what was said. More recently, it was made "for the future." That's as clear an indication as your going to get that he realizes now that he blew it. Very recently, amidst strong criticism, the conversation was put directly that Hodgson was a pain. It regressed into justification. Lets face the facts; amidst the frustration of dealing with CoHo he made a dumb decision!

Kassian is the young, unproven, power forward that Neely was when the Canucks traded him for Barry Pederson.

Hodgson is the smaller, softer, more proven player that Pederson was before Boston sent him our way... after a major injury/surgery.

Zack's ceiling is way higher than Cody's in my opinion. He's a better skater, he has an above average NHL body, and he's got good hands. He's also been through way more adversity in his life than Cody has which I believe makes him a stronger person. The fact that he's willing to drop the gloves for his team also says a great deal about his drive/desire to succeed. Tearing a back muscle and hearing negative things from his coach was traumatic for Cody...

Don't get me wrong, I like Hodgson and I think he will be a solid player for buffalo, I just feel that some of you are insistent on seeing the glass half empty rather than realizing Gillis may have actually done his homework here.

Guest PUNJABI CANUCK

Hodgson will be the better player in his career.

Kassian can become a solid 2nd liner or he'll be a bust. Think Milan Lucic and Steve Bernier (everyone knows who these guys are...).

Don't worry folks. The trade can be no where as bad as Kessel for Seguin and Hamilton.

Seguin had the best +/- of the Boston forwards in the playoffs, and had 3 points (At clutch times may I add).

Seguin had 67 points (Leading the Bruins in the regular season), and 29 goals, and +34, oh and he's 20 years old.

Kessel who did have 82 points, -10, and 37 goals, but he's 24. Seguin is only 15 points shy of a career year for Kessel!

Dougie Hamilton with the Ice Dogs in the OHL had 72 points and +37 in 50 games...FROM a D-MAN! He has 17 points and +13 in 14 games in the OHL playoffs once again this is a defenseman, not a forward!

Burke got raped. Plain and simple.

Kassian is Kassian, Neely is Neely, Hodgson is Hodgson, and Pederson is Pederson.

I can't believe people are still making new threads about this trade so long after the trade deadline.

It's gonna be a long off-season guys. Go outside, get some fresh air, take your kids to the park or something.

Archived