The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Is Neely. Hodgson Is Pederson.

Tofitian

Nonsense - Pederson was 25 when he came to Vancouver - played five seasons before - and 8 seasons after the trade.

Good post OP - refreshing change from all the noob whiners who think the Canucks should have turned over the reigns to the young monarch after 30 games in the NHL.

People can critique your analogy all they want - it is a good reversal of the ridiculous assumption and overstated analogy that the halfwit Gallagher started when he suggested that Hodgson will rule the NHL, that the trade spelled doomsday, and suggested that Kassian will be a bust. Negative expectations is what Vancouver and especially the dense media here is all about - well done OP - you have appropriately turned it on itself.

For all you people who think Hodgson would have added "secondary scoring" and propelled the Canucks past the Kings in those close games - if Hodgson were here the Canucks would have needed a whole lot more secondary scoring, as LA's big, skilled and gritty forwards would have feasted on his slow, soft, and weak defensive play. Pahlsson added a goal in five games - that is all that could have been expected of Hodgson - on the other hand, the Canucks won the five on five battle with Pahlsson in a shut down role...

So glad Gillis made these trades. Kassian's potential will be a pleasure to watch develop.

The Kassian to Neely Comparisons are absolutely stupid plain and simple, and need to stop. There is no way that Kassian will ever be anything even remotely resembling Neely.

All you Kissassians and your love for this guy are going to be majorly dissapointed when he peaks at being a Pyatt or Bernier type player (which I have no problem with, since I feel both are serivicable NHL players. The only issue I have is what was given up for him).

Cody led team Canada to a Gold Medal in the WJC. Cody is a leader and everything you want out of an NHL player in this new era of Hockey. Cody will be a playoff performer, you can bank on that. He has dominated in every level of hockey he has ever played and I really feel he would already be a dominant force in the NHL if he never had his setbacks due to injury.

This was a terrible trade plain and simple and all those that bash Cody and get aroused by the name of Kassian are delusional. Perhaps this is your way of coming to terms with what is obviously going to be one of the worst trades in franchise history.

Kassian is the young, unproven, power forward that Neely was when the Canucks traded him for Barry Pederson.

Hodgson is the smaller, softer, more proven player that Pederson was before Boston sent him our way... after a major injury/surgery.

Zack's ceiling is way higher than Cody's in my opinion. He's a better skater, he has an above average NHL body, and he's got good hands. He's also been through way more adversity in his life than Cody has which I believe makes him a stronger person. The fact that he's willing to drop the gloves for his team also says a great deal about his drive/desire to succeed. Tearing a back muscle and hearing negative things from his coach was traumatic for Cody...

Don't get me wrong, I like Hodgson and I think he will be a solid player for buffalo, I just feel that some of you are insistent on seeing the glass half empty rather than realizing Gillis may have actually done his homework here.

If Cody is going to be a leader he has other things he has to get in order other than his back. Just because he was a captain in juniors doesnt give him an automatic shoe in for the C in the bigs. Other than your hate for Kassian you really know nothing about him.

I'm sure Zack 3 years from now will be a productive player.

But if we were going to trade Cody for a guy who is not ready for 3 years; why not just get a rental player so we had a reasonable crack at winning this year. We could have kept Hodgson, then traded him in the off season. We missed Hodgson's secondary scoring; you know, where we won 1 goal games against St Louis, Chicago, Detroit & Boston and Cody scored. We lost 3 out of 4 one goal games against LA.

That trade sold us out for this year, possibly next & the Sedin's likely will be on the decline by the time Kassian comes around. So it was a bad trade; because the GM over reacted to the guy being a pain.

FTR; Neely, like Lucic, was a stud from the get go. Neely got 36 goals for Boston when he was 21. Lucic got 42 points at age 20, 62 at age 22. Kassian may well become a good player, I hope he does, but he is not the blue chip stud Neely was, not even Lucic (and I would be thrilled if he became as good as Lucic!). Kassian is neither a Lucic nor a Neely by anything we have seen!

People should cheer Kassian; but give the good trade posts a rest. We got stiffed!

Dude, you missed the point of my post big time. If I felt as negatively as you do about this team I wouldn't cheer for them and certainly wouldn't bother to spread that negativity on their fan board...

Nonsense - Pederson was 25 when he came to Vancouver - played five seasons before - and 8 seasons after the trade.

Good post OP - refreshing change from all the noob whiners who think the Canucks should have turned over the reigns to the young monarch after 30 games in the NHL.

People can critique your analogy all they want - it is a good reversal of the ridiculous assumption and overstated analogy that the halfwit Gallagher started when he suggested that Hodgson will rule the NHL, that the trade spelled doomsday, and suggested that Kassian will be a bust. Negative expectations is what Vancouver and especially the dense media here is all about - well done OP - you have appropriately turned it on itself.

For all you people who think Hodgson would have added "secondary scoring" and propelled the Canucks past the Kings in those close games - if Hodgson were here the Canucks would have needed a whole lot more secondary scoring, as LA's big, skilled and gritty forwards would have feasted on his slow, soft, and weak defensive play. Pahlsson added a goal in five games - that is all that could have been expected of Hodgson - on the other hand, the Canucks won the five on five battle with Pahlsson in a shut down role...

So glad Gillis made these trades. Kassian's potential will be a pleasure to watch develop.

To all of you that think that I am just hating on Kassian, I'm not I am being realistic.

I HATE THE TRADE

NOT

KASSIAN

Reasons I hate the trade:

1. If Cody Had to go at the deadline like they say, the Canucks should have announced it league wide, not done behind closed doors at the eleventh hour of deadline day. To see what Sort of package he could have brought back from all interestested parties.

2. I thought the goal of 2012 was to win the Stanley Cup, if that was the case then if they had to have traded Cody it really should have been for someone to help with that. Even a rental player, I would have still hated a trade for a rental player but at least I would have understood the trade in the sense of the objectives of this last year.

3. Due to the developmental differences, I feel that the balance wasn't there. All of you say the potential for Kassian to be better than Hodgson is there, but I think most agree he is not as far along as Hodgson is in his current development. There should have been added value for the Canucks helping to develop Cody for another year in the tune of at least a mid round draft pick if not a second.

4. I feel that the Swagger really left the Canucks after the trade. I think a trade of that magnitude was much better suited for the offseason. A lot of you say how Cody was a primadonna or whatever but maybe that type of aroggance is what was lacking for the Canucks. Confidence & swagger are something I think are important in pro sports and can perhaps win you a game here and there even if you're not the better team.

5. Lets say for the sake of argument that if Cody stayed with us and had a really good playoff (not saying this would have happened for sure), but what if he did? Say to the tune of what JVR did in philly last year. What sort of return would he have garnered then? Kassian +++++

There are more but hopefully people are starting to see where I am coming from on this trade and why I feel those who are inflating Kassian to the level of CAM NEELY are going to be sorely dissapointed. I love the Canucks and I hope I am DEAD WRONG about Kassian. I would LOVE to come back here and say I was wrong and you were all right. To swallow my pride and tell all the Kassian lovers that they know more about everything than I do. If Kassian puts up Cam Neely numbers I will do just that, but until then I just don't see it happening.

To all of you that think that I am just hating on Kassian, I'm not I am being realistic.

I HATE THE TRADE

NOT

KASSIAN

Reasons I hate the trade:

1. If Cody Had to go at the deadline like they say, the Canucks should have announced it league wide, not done behind closed doors at the eleventh hour of deadline day. To see what Sort of package he could have brought back from all interestested parties.

2. I thought the goal of 2012 was to win the Stanley Cup, if that was the case then if they had to have traded Cody it really should have been for someone to help with that. Even a rental player, I would have still hated a trade for a rental player but at least I would have understood the trade in the sense of the objectives of this last year.

3. Due to the developmental differences, I feel that the balance wasn't there. All of you say the potential for Kassian to be better than Hodgson is there, but I think most agree he is not as far along as Hodgson is in his current development. There should have been added value for the Canucks helping to develop Cody for another year in the tune of at least a mid round draft pick if not a second.

4. I feel that the Swagger really left the Canucks after the trade. I think a trade of that magnitude was much better suited for the offseason. A lot of you say how Cody was a primadonna or whatever but maybe that type of aroggance is what was lacking for the Canucks. Confidence & swagger are something I think are important in pro sports and can perhaps win you a game here and there even if you're not the better team.

5. Lets say for the sake of argument that if Cody stayed with us and had a really good playoff (not saying this would have happened for sure), but what if he did? Say to the tune of what JVR did in philly last year. What sort of return would he have garnered then? Kassian +++++

There are more but hopefully people are starting to see where I am coming from on this trade and why I feel those who are inflating Kassian to the level of CAM NEELY are going to be sorely dissapointed. I love the Canucks and I hope I am DEAD WRONG about Kassian. I would LOVE to come back here and say I was wrong and you were all right. To swallow my pride and tell all the Kassian lovers that they know more about everything than I do. If Kassian puts up Cam Neely numbers I will do just that, but until then I just don't see it happening.

Arrogance should be outside the room not inside it. The Canucks were burnt out about the middle of february and that reflected in their play the rest of the way. Boston burnt out as well but mannaged to make it a few games longer than the Canucks as both teams played a ton of games in a calender year. R and R and get back on track next year.

Archived