Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 7 votes

Kassian Is Neely. Hodgson Is Pederson.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
144 replies to this topic

#121 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

Adam Oates was not that fast, and for that matter neither is Henrik Sedin. What CoHo does have is soft hands, outstanding vision and he also has something those guys dont; a great shot. People said the exact same thing about Sedin here in Vancouver 10 years ago...

That also does not guarantee Hodgson will become an elite play maker. But at his worst, he will be better than Wellwood, and he's a darn sight faster than him! He was our 3rd line center less than 2 years ago.

Guess who are the two fastest skaters in the Canucks roster?

Keith Ballard. Mason Raymond.

#122 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,703 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Some would argue the team looked deflated only as soon as the trade was made???

Arrogance should be outside the room not inside it. The Canucks were burnt out about the middle of february and that reflected in their play the rest of the way. Boston burnt out as well but mannaged to make it a few games longer than the Canucks as both teams played a ton of games in a calender year. R and R and get back on track next year.

#123 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,703 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

Quote, Unquote; "We felt we needed to put some Balance" in the line up! I am presuming it was not balancing secondary scoring? -_-

Too bad too, Kassian was hand delivered Bitz's spot without deserving it. Bitz was already providing more balance than Kassian ever did!

What are you talking about? MG denied that this was ever to counter the Bruins or "goon" type hockey. He said from day one it was a move from the future. And no, the trade didn't have to benefit us today. The trade has to benefit us long term because Gillis isn't building a one hit winner, he's building a team that will be consistently good year after year (including when the Sedins leave).

#124 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

LOL Naslund was a top 3 goal scorer and offensive player in the league. Hodgson Is a 50 point 2nd line center in his prime.

How are you so sure though? Gasp! Are you from the future? Or an Observer?

We'll never know what they'll become until they become it.

#125 It's Bieksa's Fault

It's Bieksa's Fault

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

We all said that about the Sedins too.

Kassian is no Neely.

What do the Sedins have that other players don't? Insanely good chemistry and really good playmaking/creativity. What does Hodgson have that other players don't? I guess he's well-rounded, but that's about it.

The reason the Sedins are successful despite their average skating ability is because they have something other players don't, whereas Hodgson doesn't.

As for the Kassian/Hodgson debate, I prefer to see this as Kassian likely being more valuable than Hodgson to the Canucks (in the future), rather than Kassian being better/worse than Hodgson in the general case.

#126 fyrblaed

fyrblaed

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

Kassian will one day have his jersey retired by the Canucks, take it to the bank! He was a beast in junior, beast for Team Canada, and he's gonna rip the NHL up. I already bought his Canucks t-shirt

hahahaha rofl.

#127 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

It's what happened, why pu$$y foot around it...

who's dancing around the issue? Usually it is a question of trading a plug for one of the greatest scorers the Canucks have ever had, ignoring the fact that the "plug" player didn't play. It's hard to compare numbers when on player doesn't have any to look at. I am in no way saying Stojanov was going to be a power forward, but we also had no idea what we were getting in Naslund.So when you compare Kassian - Hodgson for to the Naslund trade it rings hollow. Might as well say don't draft Defensemen because they could get into a motorbike accident. One thing doesn't equate to the other, sure we could have and should have drafted Kopitar in hindsight, but it's a dumb comparison.

#128 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,809 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

As others have pointed out. It's not the trade per se, that was bad. It's the timing and how it was handled.

If Cody was that big of a gorilla to handle according to Gillis. Then he should have announced league wide Cody was available, and then looked at what he was offered. Either that or wait until the draft and move him then. Why the secrecy? Why the last minute deal? Why was only a few teams involved? People seem to forget a lot of GM's were rather peeved at Gillis not letting them in on Cody's availability.

I still think there's more going on behind this than meets the eye. And oddly enough the guy that's supposed to be so difficult to deal with, has not said anything bad about the Canucks, nor commented on the trade. So who's ego is the one that's out of control? It seems to me it's not the player, it might be the people behind him, but there's nothing wrong with the guy on the ice and in the locker room. But there is two sides to every story.

I just think Gillis could have handled that better, and brought us better return. And I don't like the cagey way he handled it. That's more like a shifty player agent move, than a GM. Maybe that's why we can't get good trades done?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#129 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

Everyone who hated this trade is going to really love the upcoming Luongo or Schnieder trade. Both players have a gun to Gillis's head (in different ways), who knows what value we will get back when everyone in the league knows we have to move one of them.

#130 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,732 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Kassian is Stojanov.

Jq9Htab.jpg

#131 toyotafan

toyotafan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Burrows is Tony Tanti

#132 Paul Bissonnette

Paul Bissonnette

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Kassian= Stojanov and Hodgson= Naslund is FAR more realistic. Kassian will not even be close to Cam Neely. I see him as more of a Scott Hartnell.

#133 toyotafan

toyotafan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Scott Hartnell would be great

#134 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

This trade was made due to Hodgson and Hodgson only. Otherwise, the Canucks would've happily developed him so he could take the reins from the Sedins when they retire. So this trade is not like the Neely trade and it won't haunt the Canucks. If the player asks for a trade, what can we do?

Gillis did say that zack was one out of 7 players they had there eyes on and would have traded cody for

hodgson wanted out but gillis wasnt going to do it for nothing , it was going to be for one of the players he said fit a unique mold that you cant go out and get easily
Posted Image

#135 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

btw kassian is obviously gretzky and hodgson is 15 million dollars in cash
Posted Image

#136 xereau

xereau

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

We all said that about the Sedins too.

Kassian is no Neely.

Big body that can stand in front of the net and bang in garbage?

I think Kassian can, and will do that...

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man:
brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the

timid join him; for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

Mark Twain

#137 Ryan Strome

Ryan Strome

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

CdC is so funny,

First Cody is going to be the greatest Canuck, now he is a useless garbage player. I guess it's no different then the way some morons treat Lu.

The real problem here might be Gillis, yes I said it.

I know most on here are to blind to see it but lets review,

The Bernier deal, Gillis lost that deal.

Ballard, lol, I won't even go there.

Lu's contract, well MG said he didn't like those long term contracts and then handed out a 12 year contract only to want to trade that goalie 2 seasons later.

Let's not forget never asking a player to waive his no trade? I guess he will get someone else to ask Lu?

MG had his core in place when he took the job, Sedins, Kesler, MayRay, Edler, Burrows, Luongo, Schneider, Bieksa, Hansen were all Burke/Nonis guys. What has MG done exactly?

I guess you could say he has been hosed in a few trades, drafted the wrong players and thankfully had an ageing superstar turn down a ridiculous contract that MG offered him.

By the way OP, Hodgson is the better player now and IMO will be the better player in the future. I won't say bank on it because unlike most on cdc I can't see the future. How do you guys see the future anyway? I wouldn't mind knowing.

#138 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

cody has one flaw and its a major one. speed.

Cody has one flaw and its a major one. He doesn't play for the Canucks.

#139 DreamHerO

DreamHerO

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

Kassian can still develop into a Lucic or Bernier, while Hodgson already shows signs of a good top 6 player.

Hodgson's "flaw" (speed) is bull. If you look at tapes from last year and compare them to this year you can clearly see he improved leaps and bounds. If he continues to improve like that, his speed wont be a flaw soon.

Edited by DreamHerO, 27 April 2012 - 10:36 PM.

Posted Image

#140 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Kassian can still develop into a Lucic or Bernier, while Hodgson already shows signs of a good top 6 player.

Hodgson's "flaw" (speed) is bull. If you look at tapes from last year and compare them to this year you can clearly see he improved leaps and bounds. If he continues to improve like that, his speed wont be a flaw soon.

how big is a leap and a bound to you

can it be measured only by a microscope
Posted Image

#141 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,101 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

cody has one flaw and its a major one. speed.

Ask Mason Raymond how much speed matters.

#142 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

How are you so sure though? Gasp! Are you from the future? Or an Observer?

We'll never know what they'll become until they become it.

Pretty obvious coho doesnt have nazzys explosiveness and ability to take over a game himself now or in the future.. he 's not just going to turn into a explosive high end guy
Posted Image

#143 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

Hodgson is definitely no Pederson yet and Kassian i can't ever see being a Neely.

#144 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Kassian is Stojanov.

Kassian= Stojanov and Hodgson= Naslund is FAR more realistic. Kassian will not even be close to Cam Neely. I see him as more of a Scott Hartnell.

As I said earlier, only if Kassian gets into a car accident like Stojanov. Wha's your comparison if Cody's back goes out?

#145 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

With lots of work, which I think he will do, Hodgson might improve his endurance, but he will never remarkably improve his speed or his "quickness". To be honest, he'll never be able to beat Raymond in a skating race, unless Raymond falls down... :P

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.