The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo Requests A Trade During Exit Meeting With Gillis

Aww boy this isn't good. The Canucks need Luongo, we can't just rest our entire season's hopes on a kid who has started 56 games over 4 seasons. Who knows how Schneider will do with 60+ games, he could easily crack under the pressure of a full-time position. And then there's the problem of finding a backup capable of playing 20-30 games...

Trading Schneider would have been the easier option, and we'd get more in return as well.

If MG traded Hodgson because he wanted out, he won't find it hard to move Luongo either. I just hope the 3 stupid nothing-games at the end of our playoffs didn't make Luongo decide this, because we had no chance of coming back from a 3-0 hole anyway.

LU does need a change.You knew he would after not playing the last two games.

Look how hard it has been for him to share the net this and last year.

I"m sure all the LU supporters will be losing it.

Look at it this way. If the Canucks traded Schneider who is a young, up and coming elite goal tender, the fans would be on Lou's back every minute of the day, and probably unfairly as well. It is just better for the organization in the long term and for Lou himself to do a trade.

Lou knows that Schneider is just too good a goalie who is going to be in his prime soon and that the organization wants to move forward with Cory. That is classy of Lou to acknowledge this and instead get the ball rolling.

As expected. Not sure why so many people are surprised by this. I guess the fact that Bobby Lou requested the trade before Gillis had to ask him--assuming that's how it went down. But if you were in Luongo's size 15 shoes, wouldn't you do the same thing? The guy's 33, has lots of hockey left in him, and has enough pride that he wants to play.

And the thing is, Luongo earned his stripes in Florida, where he faced 40 shots a night. And in Van, he has always excelled when facing lots of shots. The problem, IMO, is that he wasn't terrific at coming up with clutch saves when Vancouver was dominating the game and he had to wait 10 minutes between shots. But that's what Schneider knows. And he doesn't seem to ever get rattled.

Good luck, Bobby Lou! I bet he has a terrific season in Toronto or Tampa or Florida or wherever he ends up, cause he'll face a lot of shots and that suits him just fine.

In a number of his interviews this season he said he plays for his team, his family, and himself. The big missing piece there is obviously the fans. He really just seemed to try to tune us, and the media, out.

With that said, I think fault is shared equally amongst fans and himself. He's really had a lot of questionable comments / performances at times which clearly worked against us. Alternatively, fans got increasingly critical of him over time even for the smallest things.

All in all, a change of scenery is good for him and us.

the way i see it. Yes we lose a great goalie, but Gillis is gonna get us a great return. We're gonna keep our strength in net with Schneider, but our offense/defense or both is gonna improve drastically. This could be the move that will put us over the top.

My ideal trade:

Luongo

Raymond

for

Hedman

Purcell

As expected. Not sure why so many people are surprised by this. I guess the fact that Bobby Lou requested the trade before Gillis had to ask him--assuming that's how it went down. But if you were in Luongo's size 15 shoes, wouldn't you do the same thing? The guy's 33, has lots of hockey left in him, and has enough pride that he wants to play.

And the thing is, Luongo earned his stripes in Florida, where he faced 40 shots a night. And in Van, he has always excelled when facing lots of shots. The problem, IMO, is that he wasn't terrific at coming up with clutch saves when Vancouver was dominating the game and he had to wait 10 minutes between shots. But that's what Schneider knows. And he doesn't seem to ever get rattled.

Good luck, Bobby Lou! I bet he has a terrific season in Toronto or Tampa or Florida or wherever he ends up, cause he'll face a lot of shots and that suits him just fine.

I don't care, if Luongo voluntarily asked to be traded out of Vancouver. I can feel the stress he has been having from the Vancouver fans, and perhaps, other NHL fans. If he moves to another team, I'll cheer for the team he joins. This is my way of respecting Luongo until the end.

It's not only Kyprios, Dan Murphy, James Duthie, and Darren Dreger said it too. It's been all over the Toronto sports radio this morning.

The same dinks who've done nothing but throw bombs at Luongo and the Canucks over the last 3 or 4 years, are now talking about how Luongo will solve all the Leafs goaltender problems, Toronto sports radio makes me want to puke. Except Tim and Sid.

Archived