The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo Requests A Trade During Exit Meeting With Gillis

when we traded for Lu, he was on a team that was bad defensively. he was taking 35-40 shots a night and playing every game of the year. When he came to Vancouver, the work load dropped considerably from a game to game perspective. Vancouver was better defensively and he only was taking 20-25 shots a game on average. An now he also has a great back up that is sucking up 20-25 games a year. If you ask me he just isn't busy enough to find his rhythm. If he wants to improve his numbers, he needs to play on a team that is bad defensively. Sounds kind of counter intuitive but some goalies need to be busy, and if they are not its like their knickers are on back wards.

The first couple of years that he was here the canucks were not stellar defensively and Lu was pretty busy and he thrived on that and had some good years. But the better this team got defensively, the worse Lu got. Management noticed some chinks in his armor and started to baby him by giving him more rest........this I believe to be the biggest mistake that management has made with Lu and is partially responsible for his down fall in Vancouver. We where resting him when we should have been working him harder and throwing him back in after tough games.

Maybe some fans use that crazy thing called logic. A proven starter being replaced by someone who hasn't had a full season as one. There's a better chance we don't make the playoffs with Schneider in net next year than Lu. And thats not Schneider hate that just an easy observation and hockey fact. I'm not sure why people are happy at the chance we could completely just screw ourselves putting everything on Schneider. It's a high risk vrs high reward.

Schnieder may not be better than Luongo, but he doesn't carry the ego, the contract or the random inconsistant performances. Since we signed Luongo I was against giving a goalie a $6 million contract, it dooms a goalie to failure, just ask the Islanders how DiPietro is working out for them. We're better off to have a good goalie and a great team to play in front of him than a great goalie with a good team. A team is more likely to make your netminder look better, a goalie alone can only look bad if a team lets him down.

The fact that Lou may have asked for a trade does not mean he WILL be traded. It may be Kneejerk reaction for Lou. I believe MG will determine the outcome of this situation. He will make a move he believes gives us a better chance to win. Poor Special Ed still hurting,,,still in denial. His hero is on the block.

Obviously all those who thought it would Schneider and not Lou who will be dealt need to rethink their position....and all those who don;t believe the stats matter better revisit that also.

I was not the greatest Luango fan but now that the deed is (soon to be) done I’ve mixed emotions.

-dude fully matched everything Captain Kirk and King Richards ever did in the playoffs and absolutely crushed their accomplishments in the regular season

-his stay here was the “golden age of Canuck hockey,” we won more combined regular and playoff games the last 2 seasons than any other team, maybe even the last 4 seasons in total, if not we’re certainly up there

-1st season and playoffs -- Chicago Bears Defense.

The above is how he should be remembered and even though the thing has to be done no one should celebrate. Here’s hoping fans show more patience with Schneids during hard times; myself included.

I am quite sure that Mike Gillis didn't sign RL to such a long contract just to trade him away not even half way through. This alone should be an eye opener. In my opinion it is Roberto who is instigating this. He wants out He wants the spotlight to himself. All this about he and Cory being happy with the goalie situation was obviously B.S.

Who ever heard of a Captain Goalie.... what a joke

Toronto is an interesting suggestion. On the one hand, they're not likely to contend for a cup in the next few years. On the other hand, if Lu went there, he'd instantly become a bigger star than he has ever been.

They have an obvious starting position ready for him. Plus there's the comfort of a former GM and huge supporter in the assistant GM's chair (and many say, the guy who will take over for Burke).

But part of me also wonders if the suggestion of Toronto was fabricated just to increase readership and fan interest.

If u don't love luongo I don't really see u as a Canucks fan. Head of the franchise for more than just a few years now and former captain. Plus a gold metal while playing in his home town. Did as much for us as Kirk McLean and I love cpt Kirk too. Proud Lu lover here and always will be.

Archived