The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo Requests A Trade During Exit Meeting With Gillis

Wherever he is traded, don't expect much of a return. Other GM's that are trading for luongo would be doing us a favor, so if he goes to Tampa we will get Malone, if he goes to Toronto I am sad to say but Burke will make us take Mike Komisarek.

Wherever he is traded, don't expect much of a return. Other GM's that are trading for luongo would be doing us a favor, so if he goes to Tampa we will get Malone, if he goes to Toronto I am sad to say but Burke will make us take Mike Komisarek.

He'll be better if he plays on a bad defensive team?

5 years in Florida: averaged 40.3 shots per game, 919.6 SV% and 2.66 GAA

6 years in Vancvr: averaged 28.4 shots per game, 919.6 SV% and 2.35 GAA

His numbers indicate one thing:

No matter what style the team in front of him plays (offensive or defensive in nature), his play is the same.

Please note his save percentage in Florida and Vancouver ARE IDENTICAL and his GAA was only very marginally better after he came here.

I can remember when he came here and all the hype surrounding us FINALLY getting an "elite" goaltender. I was stoked!!

The problem was, he had not proven himself as an "elite" goaltender in Florida. The ASSUMPTION was made, based on his athletic ability, that if he were to go to a better team, that ability would shine through and propel him into the stratosphere of NHL goaltending history.

As evidenced by his numbers since, that did not happen, but there are still countless thousands of "fans" which still cling to the illusion that was fostered by the media over a decade ago.

The illusion that a goalie with a career NHL 2.52 GAA, .919 SV% and who's only won 46% of the 727 games he's played is somehow "elite", nevermind worth close to $100 Million Dollars

I'm being critical but some of you need to see it. He is a good goalie, but unfortunately the term "over rated" definitely applies here.

Having said all that, it's bee a fun ride the last 6 years. We still don't have a cup though, and it's time to make some changes before this core is too old.

Schneider should get the job. He's earned the opportunity.

edit: you can do the math here yourself if you don't believe me: http://www.hockey-re.../luongro01.html

I will call your numbers and raise you.......A better defensive team allows less quality chances on the same amount of shots, so sometimes stats dont tell the whole story. But what elite goalies should do is shut the door no matter what in a 1 goal game. the numbers become ir-relevent at this point, some times it is all about timing.........and sometimes the team d will let you down. Lu is extremely vulnerable in a 1 goal game with 3 minutes left. I dont like the way the Lu situation has come too fruition but what can be done now........

This is nothing but a farce that we drive goalies out of town and i get sick of it.What really happens is the Canucks goalies show glimpses of being very good and then turn they are horribly inconsistent and play like crap when we need them and let everybody down.What really drives goalies out of Vancouver is themselves and only fools don't realize this.Schneider won't have a problem delivering in Vancouver because first of all he's very gifted goalie who has no weaknesses, he is also strong minded and isn't a flake mentally like Luongo. Schneider is better then Luongo at every facet of the goaltending game, younger, cheaper and much stronger mentally. The Canucks brass would be complete idiots to keep Luongo over Schneider.

Unless Eddie Lack or another Canuck goaltender outperforms Schneider and takes the starting position from him, I don't think that will happen. Roberto is likely requesting a trade primarily because he lost his starting position and realizes he will be sitting on the bench if he does not move.

Roberto is going to move because he lost his starting job. This, once again, echoes the Hiller-Giguere situation I discussed in another thread a while ago. A 32-year-old Jean-Sebastien Giguere made this quote back in 2009 when he lost his starting job to Jonas Hiller:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=297862

This is all too similar. It seems Roberto's priority is to be a starter, even if it means playing for Toronto. The fans are not chasing him from the city. If that were the case, Toronto would not be the ideal destination for Roberto. He wants to be a starting goaltender, and sitting on the bench in the playoffs has apparently made him lose interest in playing for the team. Giguere felt that way, and Roberto may as well.

I don't see him making this move if he played the entire LA series. He would have had this team's vote of confidence and may have merely discussed preparing for next season with the team he recently reached the Stanley Cup Finals with.

Not good news if it's true.

I get it from Luo's prespective. He's always treated like crap here by the "fans" and media whereas Cory can do no wrong. When Luo wins, it's just his job and nothing special. In fact, more often than not people just found a reason to complain about how he could have won "better." When he messes up like all human beings do, he's the worst goalie in the world trying to ruin everything for his entire team. But, when Cory plays well, it's a national tragedy (and Luongo's personal fault) that he's not #1 and when he doesn't play well (e.g. his last regular season game in Calgary) no one even seems to notice, or gets called a Cory hater for mentioning it.

But that blows majorly from the team's perspective. Right now, we're sitting pretty with two #1 goalies. When one's a little off, we can just put in the other one. It takes the pressure off of them but keeps up their level of competitiveness. But if Luo leaves, that all changes. All of the pressure and attention shifts entirely to Cory, who hasn't been proven to be able to handle it because he's never actually faced it. He's never had to play and know he's the #1 and it's up to him to carry the team. He's never had the media attention and fan focus on him like it has been on Luo, second guessing his every move. People might think his uncertainty and sometimes obvious panic in playing the puck behind the net is cute now, but I guarantee you it's the first reason people will use to rip him apart the second he's made the starter.

And that's just the start of the problem a Luo trade would create for the team. As much as I like Lack and think he will be great, we don't even know if he's NHL ready yet. Even Gillis said he'll have to wait and see. So, getting rid of Luo to bump Cory up to the starter position leaves us majorly exposed in terms of known goaltending depth, which is not something we've had to deal with for several years now. What happens if Cory doesn't perform as well as we would like, needs to take a few games off just to rest, or, hockey gods forbid!, gets injured? Where will the team be then?

I said it in another thread and I'll repeat it here: I would like to see Cory sign a 2-year deal with a guarantee (or at least sincere promise) of more starts. I think they should share the split the starts about 60/40 (for Luo) but the starts should be performance based instead of scheduled starts for one or the other. We go with the hot goaltender until he needs a rest or loses his groove. Having 2 elite goaltenders isn't a curse, it's a blessing we're p*ssing away!

It is very sad that people in Vancouver have chased one of our top players out. Canucks fans tend to think that if Luongo does not get a shutout, he should be pulled. I mean look at Henrik Lundquist, Tim Thomas, Cory Crawford this season and even Pekke Rinner (last year), they weren't perfect but did their fans sell them out? Do you see their fans cheering like crazy while their number 1 goalie is getting switched mid game? Or even getting booed by their own fans? (Sigh)

People keep bringing up the fact that Luongo let in 8 goals during Boston SCF last year but did they bring up the fact that our forwards scored peanuts during the whole 7 games and that we scored 0 on Game 7. Did they bring up the fact that Luongo was absolutely phenominal during the 1st and 2nd round except for toward the end of Blackhawks game? (shaking my head)

If I was Luongo I would be happy to get out of this city, move somewhere where fans are sensible and appreciate of their elite players. But it is still very sad to see Luongo go. You will be missed Luongo!! :(

Archived