The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo Requests A Trade During Exit Meeting With Gillis

Something sounds sketchy about this... I almost think, if it is in fact true that he requested a trade, that it is likely taken out of context by the media (surprise surprise)

If he asked for a trade, I would think he is "asking" because he feels the Canucks are looking to go with Schneider going forward. Asking for a trade, not because he wants to leave, but because he's a mature enough player to make the process as smooth as possible.

Luongo seems like a classy guy. Too classy to demand a trade in some sort of nefarious way.

Lu has been mediocre a lot in the last couple seasons. People freaking out need to get a grip. It's not THAT bad.

He's no longer 'the best', he's now a bit above average and the proof is in the pudding.

Experience means little... look where all our experience got us this year.... we need more young blood, more of our prospects playing on the team instead of trading ALL the brighter ones away.

Hodgson trade was a bright young star leaving... and it paid nothing the year it was supposed to (this year)

I can't imagine we'd let the other bright young star (Cory) leave too... we'd be older and on the decline for a few years imo if we did.

Cory has been far above average and has a brighter future.

Gillis should be traded not Luongo. Luongo was a big part of the Canucks winning the Presidents Cup two years in a row. Now I hate to admit it, but I must agree with Don Cherry which means Roberto will be leaving the Canucks for greener pastures. It just angers me that ownership has Gillis in the position of General Manager when the only skill set Gills possesses is that of a player agent. He has done nothing to improve the team. Gillis's trades and player moves were ill conceived at best. Ownership, please do the fans a favour and fire Gillis.

If Roberto wanted to assist the team, he would not have made this issue public. By doing so, he has handcuffed the team and compromised the return that the team could acquire for him. He has placed pressure on the team to move him, and other general managers are aware of this. Meanwhile, because Roberto has requested a trade, the team is less likely now to shop Cory Schneider than they otherwise would have been.

By hastily making the entire public aware that he sees himself being traded, and by arranging his portion of a potential trade, Roberto is forcing himself off the team, minimizing his value, and preventing the team from taking the time to decide for themselves what makes the most sense.

Roberto is not assisting the team. Roberto is assisting himself. This is not as noble and selfless as you would like to believe. Roberto has, in the past, pursued his own self-interests. This is no different.

If Roberto wanted to assist the team, he would not have made this issue public. By doing so, he has handcuffed the team and compromised the return that the team could acquire for him. He has placed pressure on the team to move him, and other general managers are aware of this. Meanwhile, because Roberto has requested a trade, the team is less likely now to shop Cory Schneider than they otherwise would have been.

By hastily making the entire public aware that he sees himself being traded, and by arranging his portion of a potential trade, Roberto is forcing himself off the team, minimizing his value, and preventing the team from taking the time to decide for themselves what makes the most sense.

Roberto is not assisting the team. Roberto is assisting himself. This is not as noble and selfless as you would like to believe. Roberto has, in the past, pursued his own self-interests. This is no different.

Really? You didn't see this coming? This is not surprising at all. Luongo is continually replaced in net whenever there is a problem of any kind on the club. Mini-losing streak? Coach puts in CS. Losing in playoffs but not the goalie's fault as the coach said? Coach puts in CS. Fans and media alike are clamoring for CS to take the #1 spot. Would you feel wanted? Getting blamed for everything that goes wrong in Vancouver is not something I would want on my shoulders. Now the hard part - try to find someone to take that contract. Good luck.

This is nothing but a farce that we drive goalies out of town and i get sick of it.What really happens is the Canucks goalies show glimpses of being very good and then turn they are horribly inconsistent and play like crap when we need them and let everybody down.What really drives goalies out of Vancouver is themselves and only fools don't realize this.Schneider won't have a problem delivering in Vancouver because first of all he's very gifted goalie who has no weaknesses, he is also strong minded and isn't a flake mentally like Luongo. Schneider is better then Luongo at every facet of the goaltending game, younger, cheaper and much stronger mentally. The Canucks brass would be complete idiots to keep Luongo over Schneider.

Inconsistent eh? I already posted this, but I'll do it again for those of you who think he's "inconsistent". Also your points about Schneids, is: A) You're telling us the future. No one has any idea how Schneids will handle the pressure. No weaknesses? Every goalie of all time has weaknesses, you just don't see it with him because he played very rarely. And for the mental part, we cannot know until he is a starter and goes through starting 60+ games in the season and more in the playoffs. The mental part is pure speculation.

oGhM9.png

B32Vw.png

Inconsistent indeed.

Really? You people believe this? Kyp has been throwing Luongo under the bus for years, it's no surprise he'll try and lower his trade value. I won't believe a word of what Kyp said unless I hear Lu of MG say it themselves.

Besides, MG said that everyone should take a few days off to evaluate what everyone wants to do, so I'm sure Lu would do the same, and wait before making any statements.

He's been fairly consistent in the regular season, no doubt. If your worst save percentage is .913, you're doing pretty good. I don't think you'd find too many fans who say Luongo is a bad regular season goalie, although even in the regular season he can be streaky, but so can a lot of goalies. Of course I would point out that in his regular season stats with the Canucks there is only one season in which he posted an elite save percentage (which would be .925 and up). Still, you're talking consistency, and he has been consistent.

In the playoffs, that's another matter and the numbers you posted show it clearly. .941 in the first year, everyone knows he was beasting then. In 2008-2009, however, it gets a bit more complex. His numbers in the (I think) St. Louis series that year were tremendous, but then in the Blackhawks series they were pedestrian at best, including some really bad games. No consistency that year. Same thing the next year against the Blackhawks in the second round and even the overall save percentage shows it. .941 to .914 is pretty consistent, but down to .895 is definitely not, and he got shelled in a few games. Not consistent. Then you have the SC year, in which he again is up at .914, but was inconsistent as all hell as shown by blowouts against Chicago and Boston. And then you have this year, where the save percentage dipped again to .891. Some fans like to say that he still played well, and he did in game one (though he still let in one weak goal), but not so much in game two. The overall playoff numbers go from great, to respectable, to bad, to respectable, to bad again. That is not consistency. And, again, I'd like to point out that only once, just like in the regular season, did he post an elite save percentage in the playoffs. If you're going by the stats, how good is Luongo actually? Even in Florida he only posted one elite save percentage.

Looking at his overall numbers, it shows that his playoff stats are almost exactly alike from the regular season. Yet he is soooo "inconsistent". His stats show he is the definition of consistency, and proven by his stats, that's a fact.

Why does this 'handcuff' the team? Going by the playoffs, EVERYONE including fans, and media, knew that one of the goalies was going to be traded, and it was likely going to be Luongo.

On top of that, any GM with interest, would've been told or not if Luongo was even on the table. It's not like Gillis can make a trade without letting it be known that there is even a trade to be made. If anything, the team handcuffed itself by rolling Schneider in the playoffs. That pretty much guaranteed one of them was going to go, and it would not be a 'rotation'.

I was not the greatest Luango fan but now that the deed is (soon to be) done I’ve mixed emotions.

-dude fully matched everything Captain Kirk and King Richards ever did in the playoffs and absolutely crushed their accomplishments in the regular season

-his stay here was the “golden age of Canuck hockey,” we won more combined regular and playoff games the last 2 seasons than any other team, maybe even the last 4 seasons in total, if not we’re certainly up there

-1st season and playoffs -- Chicago Bears Defense.

The above is how he should be remembered and even though the thing has to be done no one should celebrate. Here’s hoping fans show more patience with Schneids during hard times; myself included.

the way i see it. Yes we lose a great goalie, but Gillis is gonna get us a great return. We're gonna keep our strength in net with Schneider, but our offense/defense or both is gonna improve drastically. This could be the move that will put us over the top.

My ideal trade:

Luongo

Raymond

for

Hedman

Purcell

LMFAO!

Would you do this if you were T-Bay?

...,....oh wait I'm on CDC

Anyway I think kipper, Bernier and Thomas will be avaiable and Harding and Vokoun are ufa's, so as you can see there is no chance Stevie Y pays that much for Lu.

Archived