Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WeatherWise

[Report] Luongo Requests A Trade During Exit Meeting With Gillis

531 posts in this topic

You have to take risks to win, that's how it is. Are the Canucks going to win with Luongo? I don't think so, so you take a risk, maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but that's life. We took a risk on Luongo, too, since he had never played in a playoff game (and some might say that didn't turn out so well). Schneids also isn't that big of a risk compared to other young goalies. First, he isn't that young, he's 26, not 22. Second, he's been brought along VERY slowly. He played 3 years in the AHL honing his game until he was the best goalie in the AHL. Then, he played two years behind Luongo gaining NHL experience and even playoff experience. He isn't just on a hot streak, he's the real deal. If ever the team was going to switch goalies for a younger goalie, this is the best time to do it. Is there risk? Yes, but there is risk in every decision.

Schneider, Schroeder, connauton, Jensen, Rodin leggo!!!! Future is now!!

Are you sure it was the grapevine and not the wine? :lol:

That is insane. You do realized that Luongo carried the team until Game 7 of the SCF, right? He was amazing in Games 1, 2, and 5. Without him, there was no way we will even pushed for game 7. We were one game away to win it all but we came short due to injuries. The fact that you don't think Lu can win the cup with this team is RIDICULOUS. And you think Schneids can win the cup for us? Luongo is one of the best goalies in the league with really good stats. The fact you guys are willing to ship him out for a goalie that hasn't proven himself is pathetic.

Schneid isn't the real deal as of yet. He played 1 brilliant season. You can't say someone is a real deal after 1 great season. In 2 years and his stats is as consistent as ever, then yeah, you can say he is a real deal. Until then, it's tough to know whether or not a goalie will be a real deal when they were only played less than half of what a starter plays.

I really like Schneider as a player and he has been amazing this season. To be honest, I don't think he is worth losing Lu though. Lu turned this franchise around and it is because of him, Canucks became a contender. He has proven to be a solid goaltender with consistent stats. Although playoffs may not be his strength, it really depends who he plays against. Plus, you can't shoulder all the blame on him. That's ridiculous. It wasn't due to him that we lost games 1 and 2. The whole team did not play well.

+1. My sentiments exactly.

It's like beating your head against the wall trying to get it through to Lu haters. They compare Lu's results in games 1 and 2 with Schneider's in games 3, 4, 5 without taking into account the way the rest of the team played in those games. And the coaches and media have said Lu played outstanding in those games despite the goals against. He was the best Canuck in those games.

Be careful what you wish for Canucks fans...

If Luongo goes to the Leafs, they're probably closer to winning the cup than us. We'll never hear the end of it from Toronto fans.

Something sounds sketchy about this... I almost think, if it is in fact true that he requested a trade, that it is likely taken out of context by the media (surprise surprise)

If he asked for a trade, I would think he is "asking" because he feels the Canucks are looking to go with Schneider going forward. Asking for a trade, not because he wants to leave, but because he's a mature enough player to make the process as smooth as possible.

Luongo seems like a classy guy. Too classy to demand a trade in some sort of nefarious way.

Something sounds sketchy about this... I almost think, if it is in fact true that he requested a trade, that it is likely taken out of context by the media (surprise surprise)

If he asked for a trade, I would think he is "asking" because he feels the Canucks are looking to go with Schneider going forward. Asking for a trade, not because he wants to leave, but because he's a mature enough player to make the process as smooth as possible.

Luongo seems like a classy guy. Too classy to demand a trade in some sort of nefarious way.

Lu has been mediocre a lot in the last couple seasons. People freaking out need to get a grip. It's not THAT bad.

He's no longer 'the best', he's now a bit above average and the proof is in the pudding.

Experience means little... look where all our experience got us this year.... we need more young blood, more of our prospects playing on the team instead of trading ALL the brighter ones away.

Hodgson trade was a bright young star leaving... and it paid nothing the year it was supposed to (this year)

I can't imagine we'd let the other bright young star (Cory) leave too... we'd be older and on the decline for a few years imo if we did.

Cory has been far above average and has a brighter future.

This is exactly what I'm thinking, yet some people still want to find fault with Luongo for how he's handling this. They want him out of town and when he supposedly assists the team in starting the process of leaving Vancouver he gets criticized for it.

Gillis should be traded not Luongo. Luongo was a big part of the Canucks winning the Presidents Cup two years in a row. Now I hate to admit it, but I must agree with Don Cherry which means Roberto will be leaving the Canucks for greener pastures. It just angers me that ownership has Gillis in the position of General Manager when the only skill set Gills possesses is that of a player agent. He has done nothing to improve the team. Gillis's trades and player moves were ill conceived at best. Ownership, please do the fans a favour and fire Gillis.

If Roberto wanted to assist the team, he would not have made this issue public. By doing so, he has handcuffed the team and compromised the return that the team could acquire for him. He has placed pressure on the team to move him, and other general managers are aware of this. Meanwhile, because Roberto has requested a trade, the team is less likely now to shop Cory Schneider than they otherwise would have been.

By hastily making the entire public aware that he sees himself being traded, and by arranging his portion of a potential trade, Roberto is forcing himself off the team, minimizing his value, and preventing the team from taking the time to decide for themselves what makes the most sense.

Roberto is not assisting the team. Roberto is assisting himself. This is not as noble and selfless as you would like to believe. Roberto has, in the past, pursued his own self-interests. This is no different.

If Roberto wanted to assist the team, he would not have made this issue public. By doing so, he has handcuffed the team and compromised the return that the team could acquire for him. He has placed pressure on the team to move him, and other general managers are aware of this. Meanwhile, because Roberto has requested a trade, the team is less likely now to shop Cory Schneider than they otherwise would have been.

By hastily making the entire public aware that he sees himself being traded, and by arranging his portion of a potential trade, Roberto is forcing himself off the team, minimizing his value, and preventing the team from taking the time to decide for themselves what makes the most sense.

Roberto is not assisting the team. Roberto is assisting himself. This is not as noble and selfless as you would like to believe. Roberto has, in the past, pursued his own self-interests. This is no different.

Really? You didn't see this coming? This is not surprising at all. Luongo is continually replaced in net whenever there is a problem of any kind on the club. Mini-losing streak? Coach puts in CS. Losing in playoffs but not the goalie's fault as the coach said? Coach puts in CS. Fans and media alike are clamoring for CS to take the #1 spot. Would you feel wanted? Getting blamed for everything that goes wrong in Vancouver is not something I would want on my shoulders. Now the hard part - try to find someone to take that contract. Good luck.

Don't take me for a fool. This is anti-Luongo propaganda at its finest. Absolute horsecrap.

This is nothing but a farce that we drive goalies out of town and i get sick of it.What really happens is the Canucks goalies show glimpses of being very good and then turn they are horribly inconsistent and play like crap when we need them and let everybody down.What really drives goalies out of Vancouver is themselves and only fools don't realize this.Schneider won't have a problem delivering in Vancouver because first of all he's very gifted goalie who has no weaknesses, he is also strong minded and isn't a flake mentally like Luongo. Schneider is better then Luongo at every facet of the goaltending game, younger, cheaper and much stronger mentally. The Canucks brass would be complete idiots to keep Luongo over Schneider.

How does Luongo help the team announcing a trade list or giving the media the idea that he has a trade list?

How does Luongo help the team announcing a trade list or giving the media the idea that he has a trade list?