The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo Requests A Trade During Exit Meeting With Gillis

Amen brotha. This is the exact state of the situation. Lu and/or his camp have officially tied Gillis hands with this 'soon to be' trade, and I think it's petty and unnecessary, basically a cheap shot. It's why 2 days ago Gillis said he was done speaking to the media for a while, then suddenly pops up on team 1040 this morning trying to salvage what he could from this mess Lus camp created.

Most people don't understand the business side of the situation, so they will disagree or think you're taking a shot at Lu. But this is the reality of the market and dynamics of the situation due to Lu/camps actions.

How do his playoff stats show he's consistent if he posted save percentages of .941, .914, .895, .914, and .891? How are those comparable? Furthermore, how is .895 comparable to .913 (in the regular season)? How is .914 comparable to .928? How .891 comparable to .919? What are you talking about right now?

Vancouver has some talented goaltenders waiting in the wings (Lack, Cannata), so I'm not all that worried about the team's future in net. I also think that Schneider is a fine goalie and seems to have pretty good leadership qualities that will be good for our rookies to experience. I hope Lu finds a home and is happy there.

He's been fairly consistent in the regular season, no doubt. If your worst save percentage is .913, you're doing pretty good. I don't think you'd find too many fans who say Luongo is a bad regular season goalie, although even in the regular season he can be streaky, but so can a lot of goalies. Of course I would point out that in his regular season stats with the Canucks there is only one season in which he posted an elite save percentage (which would be .925 and up). Still, you're talking consistency, and he has been consistent.

In the playoffs, that's another matter and the numbers you posted show it clearly. .941 in the first year, everyone knows he was beasting then. In 2008-2009, however, it gets a bit more complex. His numbers in the (I think) St. Louis series that year were tremendous, but then in the Blackhawks series they were pedestrian at best, including some really bad games. No consistency that year. Same thing the next year against the Blackhawks in the second round and even the overall save percentage shows it. .941 to .914 is pretty consistent, but down to .895 is definitely not, and he got shelled in a few games. Not consistent. Then you have the SC year, in which he again is up at .914, but was inconsistent as all hell as shown by blowouts against Chicago and Boston. And then you have this year, where the save percentage dipped again to .891. Some fans like to say that he still played well, and he did in game one (though he still let in one weak goal), but not so much in game two. The overall playoff numbers go from great, to respectable, to bad, to respectable, to bad again. That is not consistency. And, again, I'd like to point out that only once, just like in the regular season, did he post an elite save percentage in the playoffs. If you're going by the stats, how good is Luongo actually? Even in Florida he only posted one elite save percentage.

Tough to hear if that's true.

I was hoping that both would stay, with Luongo battling for the #1 spot and reclaiming it in a comeback year.

Similarly to how Tim Thomas nearly lost his job to Tuuka Rask a couple years back.

That is insane. You do realized that Luongo carried the team until Game 7 of the SCF, right? He was amazing in Games 1, 2, and 5. Without him, there was no way we will even pushed for game 7. We were one game away to win it all but we came short due to injuries. The fact that you don't think Lu can win the cup with this team is RIDICULOUS. And you think Schneids can win the cup for us? Luongo is one of the best goalies in the league with really good stats. The fact you guys are willing to ship him out for a goalie that hasn't proven himself is pathetic.

Schneid isn't the real deal as of yet. He played 1 brilliant season. You can't say someone is a real deal after 1 great season. In 2 years and his stats is as consistent as ever, then yeah, you can say he is a real deal. Until then, it's tough to know whether or not a goalie will be a real deal when they were only played less than half of what a starter plays.

I really like Schneider as a player and he has been amazing this season. To be honest, I don't think he is worth losing Lu though. Lu turned this franchise around and it is because of him, Canucks became a contender. He has proven to be a solid goaltender with consistent stats. Although playoffs may not be his strength, it really depends who he plays against. Plus, you can't shoulder all the blame on him. That's ridiculous. It wasn't due to him that we lost games 1 and 2. The whole team did not play well.

How do his playoff stats show he's consistent if he posted save percentages of .941, .914, .895, .914, and .891? How are those comparable? Furthermore, how is .895 comparable to .913 (in the regular season)? How is .914 comparable to .928? How .891 comparable to .919? What are you talking about right now?

LU's response following the loss to LA is not s surprise and consistent with his behaviour inthe past.

He is an emotional player who too often speaks before he thinks things through. Last year, his comments about Thomas caused all kinds of disttractions for the team and embarrassed the whole organization when he crapped the bed in Boston following them.

Lu has always had a huge ego which was evident in how he held Florida's feet to tthe flames for 14months of negotiation.

This whole mess is about Lu's ego and how he feels entitled to be the starter, regardless of whether he has earned it. People talk about THomas and how he almost was let go and then came back. Lu is not willing to take the chance that he can out-play Cory as Thomas did with Rask. Thomas was willing to play 50% to earn his starts...Lu is not.

Other players on the roster have to earn their ice time but LU feels he is entitled regardless of performance.

Lu is putting himself ahead of the team and by encouraging talk about wanting out, is using hte same tactics he did in Florida agianst an organization that has been nothing but supportive of him despite some of his major shortcomings in the playoffs.

As for those saying Cory isn't proven...he played 40% of the Nucks games this season, posted the 2nd best save percentage and 3rd best GAA. He was 14th in wins in the league. He had the best GAA and save % of any goalie in the playoffs in the first round.

He has been a top performer in every lague he has played in (university, AHL and NHL). He is the future and MG knows it and so does Lu.

Lu sees playing Cory as a betrayal of his right to be a starter, I see his announcement about his NTC as a betrayal of the organization and once again, a major distraction for the team.

I hope he is moved and soon so this team can move on.

"The Toronto Maple Leafs and Chicago Blackhawks are also on the 33-year-old goalie's list, although Luongo could have reservations accepting a trade to either team given the fiercely competitive market that feeds off the Maple Leafs and the emotional scars that may still exist from his battles with the Blackhawks."

From TSN, they seem to have seen this so-called list.

Well, now James Duthie is reporting it.

Luongo did ask for a trade

Before: (April 24)

duthie_normal.jpgjames duthie @tsnjamesduthie

• Contrary to some Twitter talk, Luongo has not submitted a list of teams to the Canucks.

After: (April 25)

duthie_normal.jpgjames duthie @tsnjamesduthie

• Sources say Roberto Luongo will submit a short list of teams he'd waive his no-trade to go to next week. Toronto will be on it.

Archived