The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo Requests A Trade During Exit Meeting With Gillis

This just doesn't reflect Lu's situation at all - quick? reactionary?

Lu has come under fire for some time - granted, some of it was warranted but, many times, it was the team around him imploding and he was the last means of defense (literally) and just couldn't do it all himself.

He is a brilliant goaltender but the decision to make him captain likely didn't do him any favours....the goaltender already has a bit of a "stand alone" mission and to thrust him into the forefront beyond that puts far too much emphasis there.

And I agree that it's just a matter of seeing the writing on the wall for Lu and trying to exit with some dignity and offer the team an out.

I wouldn't have said this 1 year ago, but I hope we keep Schneider. He's younger, better, and cheaper. This definitely makes it easier to do that, if the report is true.

But Luongo's done a lot for this team, so I will be sad to see him go. Hopefully he gets traded to a place that he will enjoy and have success at. I don't think he's doing this because the fans are running him out of town. This just seems like more of a "passing the torch to Schneider" type situation. Canucks still have a good goalie, and both player get starting jobs. Win-win.

I don't believe this report. Luo said that he would agree to waive his NTC IF MG asked him too. Why would he say that and then hide the fact that he had already asked to be traded?

Personally I think that this is just a huge rumour out of TO to give them some hope. One guy says that Luo said he would provide a list of 5 teams that he would agree to....the next reporter fabricates a list of possibles with TO on it.....Luo says that he would agree to play in TO.....the next reporter reports that Luo has demanded a trade to his #1 preference...TO...and so on and so on. Next they will be reporting that Luo has already bought a home there.

TO jumping the gun again.

I also don't think that this lowers Luongo's trade value even if true. He is still a great goalie at the end of the day and a player that a lot of teams need.

This is nothing but a farce that we drive goalies out of town and i get sick of it.What really happens is the Canucks goalies show glimpses of being very good and then turn they are horribly inconsistent and play like crap when we need them and let everybody down.What really drives goalies out of Vancouver is themselves and only fools don't realize this.Schneider won't have a problem delivering in Vancouver because first of all he's very gifted goalie who has no weaknesses, he is also strong minded and isn't a flake mentally like Luongo. Schneider is better then Luongo at every facet of the goaltending game, younger, cheaper and much stronger mentally. The Canucks brass would be complete idiots to keep Luongo over Schneider.

Thats an assumption most people have. Goaltending is a mental part of the game. We had Cloutier for four years and had the same meltdowns. From what I've seen Schneider nothing seems to bother him one bit.

Part of the deal is that, as a starter, it’s your deal and you carry the weight of it. Usually a back up is put in when things are heading south and, at that point, he is viewed as a possible hero. He can save the day and, if he doesn’t, it still doesn’t usually fall back on his shoulders...he is, after all, only the back up. Things were already falling apart but it doesn’t get directed back to the back up, it’s still the starter people attribute the loss to. So the bar isn’t set as high and with that, the pressure so great. It’s different when all eyes are on you to answer as a starter and I hope CS can maintain that cool when it’s a daily grind, not just a cameo appearance.

Love both of these guys, but feel that Lu’s experience and having seen it all had him at a place where he was finally prepared to face and challenge if things started to fall apart. There would be no surprises. Sure, at times he appeared almost shell shocked by what was unraveling around him, but through those experiences you gain knowledge. You learn what to expect in the worst case scenarios and can be ready for them. Seasoned veteran stuff.

And, to give that up now, scares me. There was a reason we won back to back President’s trophies and went to a SCF game seven. Lu was a very big part of that and that IS proven with regard to having the ability to get us there, even if the job wasn’t finished. I bet he does end the story with a cup - I’ll just be devastated when it isn’t here.

The cup isn’t an easy deal and it often does take some persistence before the payoff in achieving that dream. Mostly, it’s about everything falling into place at the right time. But it can also require some persistence before the payoff...you learn along the road and are better equipped the next time. There’s a reason that teams pick up guys who have been to the playoffs before and Lu falls under that category, having come so close.

Moments of meltdowns are part of the initial learning process, part of the “what the hell is happening here?” reaction. Sure, Lu has had some but part of going through that usually prepares one to react differently next time. To be ready should it happen again. To know what to expect without having it catch you in the headlights.

If we were to go against Lu in a battle for the cup, he’d scare the hell out of me based on the fact that he is no stranger to adversity, pressure and having to stand in the forefront. Been there, done that insight. He’s matured while having to deal with it all and I’m convinced we’d be letting him go right at a time where he’s fully prepared with the knowledge and experience to get there.

I really believe Roberto's main priority is to be the starting goaltender for a team. He would, undoubtedly, be looked at to single-handedly carry Toronto into the playoffs if he were to be traded there. There is no question he would be the starting goaltender, though; he would face the very same situation as Ilya Bryzgalov in Philadelphia, and he should be very aware of that. I don't think pressure is the reason he is leaving this city. He has faced pressure throughout the past several years, and is only one year removed from reaching Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

If Cory Schneider had not been named the starter for the last three games of this year's playoffs, I don't think Roberto would have minded staying here. He played exceptionally well in the first two games of the series and would not have been blamed for losing the series against the Kings.

In the past, Roberto has been analyzed as potentially having an ego. In previous years, he was not accountable for his own mistakes, dictated that he would play 70+ games in each of his first few seasons with the team, and even last year put down his opposition in the Stanley Cup Finals. This year, immediately after the playoffs ended, he arranged everything we've seen throughout the past few days; three days after the team was eliminated, he stated he would be willing to waive his NTC, then submitted a list of teams, then told team management that he wanted a trade.

He listed a team that would undoubtedly put an immense amount of pressure on him to succeed immediately, but that would make him the face of the franchise. Toronto is not likely going to succeed, so he would be setting himself up for failure and even more criticism. The promise there is that he would be reunited with his former goalie coach, but he would just be asking for pressure and exposure.

I really believe Roberto is doing this because he wants to be the starter and feels his role with the Canucks has been threatened. Toronto would provide him with a combination of pressure, exposure, and the promise of starting for several years. He would not likely succeed with that team. I don't think the fans played a huge role in any of this because he would be digging an even bigger hole for himself.

He would be playing for a market that provides even more pressures and expectations than Vancouver. The difference between Vancouver and Toronto is that one has an obvious vacancy in net, and the other doesn't. Roberto apparently would rather be the starter for a mediocre team than have success on a team where he'd have to share starting duties.

If Toronto is indeed on his list, then this is not about the fans chasing him out. It is about being THE starter. If the fans truly are the reason Lu wants out, then his list would include only small market team, not the mass media 'We are the centre of the Universe' Toronto.

Lu wants to be the number, he deserves to be the number one, but it's clear he's not doing this "for the team".

It is very sad that people in Vancouver have chased one of our top players out. Canucks fans tend to think that if Luongo does not get a shutout, he should be pulled. I mean look at Henrik Lundquist, Tim Thomas, Cory Crawford this season and even Pekke Rinner (last year), they weren't perfect but did their fans sell them out? Do you see their fans cheering like crazy while their number 1 goalie is getting switched mid game? Or even getting booed by their own fans? (Sigh)

People keep bringing up the fact that Luongo let in 8 goals during Boston SCF last year but did they bring up the fact that our forwards scored peanuts during the whole 7 games and that we scored 0 on Game 7. Did they bring up the fact that Luongo was absolutely phenominal during the 1st and 2nd round except for toward the end of Blackhawks game? (shaking my head)

If I was Luongo I would be happy to get out of this city, move somewhere where fans are sensible and appreciate of their elite players. But it is still very sad to see Luongo go. You will be missed Luongo!! :(

It is very sad that people in Vancouver have chased one of our top players out. Canucks fans tend to think that if Luongo does not get a shutout, he should be pulled. I mean look at Henrik Lundquist, Tim Thomas, Cory Crawford this season and even Pekke Rinner (last year), they weren't perfect but did their fans sell them out? Do you see their fans cheering like crazy while their number 1 goalie is getting switched mid game? Or even getting booed by their own fans? (Sigh)

People keep bringing up the fact that Luongo let in 8 goals during Boston SCF last year but did they bring up the fact that our forwards scored peanuts during the whole 7 games and that we scored 0 on Game 7. Did they bring up the fact that Luongo was absolutely phenominal during the 1st and 2nd round except for toward the end of Blackhawks game? (shaking my head)

If I was Luongo I would be happy to get out of this city, move somewhere where fans are sensible and appreciate of their elite players. But it is still very sad to see Luongo go. You will be missed Luongo!! :(

MG should ask Roberto why Montreal is not on Roberto's short list. I think Roberto wants to be the hero and not take the responsibility. Would Montreal not be a great fit for him, He has family there, he is from there, it is a good hockey market, oops too much pressure you think our fans want blood!. Toronto at least you can coast for decades and the fans don't seem to mind. Of course this is all speculation until we see the short list. And then again this could just be another Brian Burke nut job ploy. The bottom line is anybody that would request a trade to Toronto is not a player I would want on my team! It simply means they want the spotlight with little pressure

Archived