Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WeatherWise

[Report] Luongo Requests A Trade During Exit Meeting With Gillis

531 posts in this topic

Don't really see why everyone's so hyped about Hedman, there are like 20-30 defensemen in the league who are better than he is. Don't get me wrong, he's got great potential, but he isn't that good right now.

Poor Lou didn't ask for the trade, the media and a vocal part of the fan base asked for his trade, he just made MG's job easier by telling him he sees the writing on the wall

Congratulations Vancouver. You've just buried another goal tender. I wouldn't blame Luongo one bit if he asked out of this ungracious market. It`s too bad Luongo couldn't score more goals to keep you people happy.

This Team will forever be the bridesmaid with the mentality of the support and fans here.

Good luck Schneids. Hope you can keep the GA average less than 1.5 cuz there's no one on this team that'll help you out by scoring goals. Besides the Sedins (who are now in decline) I don't see goal scorers.

Let`s see how Scneids does with the pressure of a whole season over his head and the fans ready to bring out the grave diggers on his first bad game.

I second that! I will support Lou to the end. I'm a Schneider fan too, so this isn't the worst thing... unless of course someone signs Schneids to a wicked offer sheet that we can't match. :)All the same, Luongo has been classy his entire career with Vancouver. I am sad to see him go, but will wish him luck and cheer for him where ever he goes... including the Leafs.

1. People need to radically lower their expectiations for returns. Lu is an elite goalie but his contract greatly reduces his value. Maybe Gillis can swindle someone but I don't expect much. Malone, I think, is the best we could do, if that.

2. Fans may have made him a little more ready to leave. However, if the fans/media were the problem he wouldn't be willing to go to TO.

Not surprising. I am not a Lou Fan... but he does get a rough ride as do many goaltenders have that have rolled through Vancouver. The one thing I admire about Lou is that he has a big juicy contract and it really doesnt matter whether he is a starter or a back up. But the guy still wants to play 60+ games... some guys may be happy with just kicking back and relaxing and be the highest paid back up.

From a team standpoint, it is too bad he wants out. They lose some bargaining power when that comes out and when he has pointed out the two teams rumored to be Toronto and Tampa.

Facts are... he is not the reason they did not win the cup. He is not the reason they lost in the first round. He is in the top 10% of current NHL goalies... Schneider has attracted a lot of a attention where they could possibly trade and get some players they like, not from a team they are forced to deal with.

Also... if Luongo has a few good years left... they have Lack coming up behind...

Personally... contrary to what I have said above... I like Schneider more than Luondo... but from a business and team stand point... Either of the goalies can keep this team at the top of the standings... they are 1-2 pieces short... and it isnt in the goaltending position.

To people who say they won't be able to move his contract. They'll move it with ease. Columbus just moved Jeff Carter's contract and thats twice as insane as Lou's. Plus there's lots of Jeff Carter's in the league, while there aren't many Luongo's.

Hopefuly MG can pull a 3 way trade involving Columbus, sending Lou to either TB or TO and get Rick Nash back in return, but it will take much more than Lou alone to acomplish that.

Apparently he wants to go to Toronto the most, they would have to send us a lousy contract so they would probs send us komisarek with a 1st and second

or

komisarek kulemin and a second

Auld was never bashed by the fans, he was never that great a goalie but was never bashed for it he just did his best. People stop making things up.

Hockey Central at Noon is on Sportsnet East and Ontario right now. Perhaps they will discuss this in more detail.

The only thing we are gonna get from this is cap space, which is good enough. We are not going to get any elite players out of this.

Well..maybe now we can get a goalie who can score..because that is the only thing that Luongo didn't do for us and MUST be the reason everyone else hates him here in Vancouver.

Let's get something straight "fans". You all suck. 3/4 of you only watched your first hockey game last year, most of that 3/4 still don't know what icing is and yet you are all stupid enough to boo and taunt a world class goalie to the point he wants out.

Love my Canucks..hate every single last one of you people who came only bought a Canucks jersey because it has pretty colors (known as Canuck fans).

I really don;t get this..".lessor value" thing because he asked for a trade. His stats don;t change. hes the same goaltender. He just wants to be #1 no matter where he is. There was good reason to think MG would trade him...so..Lou...took the iniative...maybe to let MG off the hook so he did not have to go back on his word and ask Lou to wave his NT contract. Maybe its just another unselfish act by Lou ???????

It's quite interesting that CDC wants Schnieder, yet they also want Luongo. Can't have both.

going to be interesting if schneider has a bad season next year... the kid hasn't played more than 33 games in a season, and he hasn't had to deal with the pressure of being a top goalie in Vancouver...

Congratulations Vancouver. You've just buried another goal tender. I wouldn't blame Luongo one bit if he asked out of this ungracious market. It`s too bad Luongo couldn't score more goals to keep you people happy.

This Team will forever be the bridesmaid with the mentality of the support and fans here.

Good luck Schneids. Hope you can keep the GA average less than 1.5 cuz there's no one on this team that'll help you out by scoring goals. Besides the Sedins (who are now in decline) I don't see goal scorers.

Let`s see how Scneids does with the pressure of a whole season over his head and the fans ready to bring out the grave diggers on his first bad game.

The Toronto rumour is funny. There is no source behind it, it's just TSN trying to find a way to make the Leafs relevant for this time of year.

I really don;t get this..".lessor value" thing because he asked for a trade. His stats don;t change. hes the same goaltender. He just wants to be #1 no matter where he is. There was good reason to think MG would trade him...so..Lou...took the iniative...maybe to let MG off the hook so he did not have to go back on his word and ask Lou to wave his NT contract. Maybe its just another unselfish act by Lou ???????

To people who say they won't be able to move his contract. They'll move it with ease. Columbus just moved Jeff Carter's contract and thats twice as insane as Lou's. Plus there's lots of Jeff Carter's in the league, while there aren't many Luongo's.

Hopefuly MG can pull a 3 way trade involving Columbus, sending Lou to either TB or TO and get Rick Nash back in return, but it will take much more than Lou alone to acomplish that.

I don't hold anything against Lou for wanting to move on. Schneider played in 30 games this year and next would want even more. My reflections;

- A lot of fans didn't like Lou because he called them and the media out for being ignorant about goaltending. He wasn't shy when he arrived to point out that not ALL goals scored against him were not his fault. Whether that education was completed or not is questionable, it is much needed in this market. Much easier mentally to not have to think beyond the shot that beats a goaltender than the play that led up to it. Lou also did a pretty good job of explaining the mechanics of goaltending. Was it Hrudy who talked about Lou's bow leggedness and the fact that it makes him go down on his stomach more to get his pads flat on the ice. Schneider can retain a upright position better.

- Keeping Schneider is a better deal for Van as he is 6 years younger, cheaper and fundamentally a better goalie.

- I suspect the return for Lou will be better than for Schneider. Hopefully a top 4 d-man who can play a physical game. Man I wish MG had got Boychuk when he was available. No Vinnie please!

- At 33 Lou has to think of his career and hopes for a CUP. Don't blame for that.