The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo Requests A Trade During Exit Meeting With Gillis

Part of the deal is that, as a starter, it’s your deal and you carry the weight of it. Usually a back up is put in when things are heading south and, at that point, he is viewed as a possible hero. He can save the day and, if he doesn’t, it still doesn’t usually fall back on his shoulders...he is, after all, only the back up. Things were already falling apart but it doesn’t get directed back to the back up, it’s still the starter people attribute the loss to. So the bar isn’t set as high and with that, the pressure so great. It’s different when all eyes are on you to answer as a starter and I hope CS can maintain that cool when it’s a daily grind, not just a cameo appearance.

Love both of these guys, but feel that Lu’s experience and having seen it all had him at a place where he was finally prepared to face and challenge if things started to fall apart. There would be no surprises. Sure, at times he appeared almost shell shocked by what was unraveling around him, but through those experiences you gain knowledge. You learn what to expect in the worst case scenarios and can be ready for them. Seasoned veteran stuff.

And, to give that up now, scares me. There was a reason we won back to back President’s trophies and went to a SCF game seven. Lu was a very big part of that and that IS proven with regard to having the ability to get us there, even if the job wasn’t finished. I bet he does end the story with a cup - I’ll just be devastated when it isn’t here.

The cup isn’t an easy deal and it often does take some persistence before the payoff in achieving that dream. Mostly, it’s about everything falling into place at the right time. But it can also require some persistence before the payoff...you learn along the road and are better equipped the next time. There’s a reason that teams pick up guys who have been to the playoffs before and Lu falls under that category, having come so close.

Moments of meltdowns are part of the initial learning process, part of the “what the hell is happening here?” reaction. Sure, Lu has had some but part of going through that usually prepares one to react differently next time. To be ready should it happen again. To know what to expect without having it catch you in the headlights.

If we were to go against Lu in a battle for the cup, he’d scare the hell out of me based on the fact that he is no stranger to adversity, pressure and having to stand in the forefront. Been there, done that insight. He’s matured while having to deal with it all and I’m convinced we’d be letting him go right at a time where he’s fully prepared with the knowledge and experience to get there.

Predictible.

You can't start another goalie (aka his backup) for the last 3 games of the playoffs and expect him to be ok with that.

The second it happened, he must have wanted out. AND not because of him, because of the coach starting the other guy.

But I think it is a good thing for him anyways - he needs a change, and I think wherever he will go he will succeed.

And I think it is a good thing for the canucks too. they need to change, and have a great goalie in Schneider. They obviously knew they would be sending him that message, so they cannot be surprised at all either.

It is a win-win, so just chill !

I think everyone here is jumping the gun a little bit. This doesn't seem to be a really reliable report that Luongo asked for a trade, it's only a rumor. In a situation as touchy as this, I'd wait to hear it from Lu or MG themselves before jumping on it too much.

Even if Lu does get traded now, it doesn't mean he asked for a trade, just that he was willing to waive his no-trade clause if MG asks him to, which he has already statedthat he is.

People would still love Lu if we had Dany Sabourin as our back-up.

I like Lu a lot but I like Schneider more. They are like cars. Schneider is the newer generation model. Schneider is new, sleek, and in perfect running condition. Lu has been reliable and is still great but he could start having mechanical problems from wear and tear soon, he doesn't have the new car smell anymore, and his maintenance costs are higher. There is of course the possibility that Schneider wasn't build as well as Lu and ends up being much less reliable.

If it came down to money you would get more for Schneider as he is a newer with lower mileage, so that should also be considered. Lu is a few mechanical problems away from being to expensive to drive and could end up in the scrap yard a few years down the road.

Lou opened the door for Schneider this year. After having an amazing season in 2010-11 under the Melanson system he reverted to his old self in playoffs and he lost his consistancy. This year again, he refused to follow that Melanson system that made him so successful the year before. Schneider blossomed under Melanson and as a result, Lou has been displaced,. It was a poor strategy on Lous part and now he is paying the price. His experience did not play into the equation.

This is nothing but a farce that we drive goalies out of town and i get sick of it.What really happens is the Canucks goalies show glimpses of being very good and then turn they are horribly inconsistent and play like crap when we need them and let everybody down.What really drives goalies out of Vancouver is themselves and only fools don't realize this.Schneider won't have a problem delivering in Vancouver because first of all he's very gifted goalie who has no weaknesses, he is also strong minded and isn't a flake mentally like Luongo. Schneider is better then Luongo at every facet of the goaltending game, younger, cheaper and much stronger mentally. The Canucks brass would be complete idiots to keep Luongo over Schneider.

Luongo's $10 million dollar season was paid out last year.

Moving forward, the money commitment is 6 years @ $6,716,000 per. The last 4 years of this contract were designed such that he could retire and the cap hit comes off the books (Pre 35 year old signing).

6.7 million is modest for a top 5 elite calibre goaltender, and he is signed for term. This is the key negotiating leverage that Gillis should take advantage of. When you break it down, and the fact that the cap hit is only 5.33 Million, this "bad contract" suddenly doesn't look so bad, 40 million over 6 years of actual money to an elite goaltender.

Some comparisons:

Henrik Lundqvist cap hit: 6.875 Million

Pekka Rinne cap hit: 7.00 Million

Bryzgalov cap hit: 5.66 Million

Ryan Miller cap hit: 6.25 Million

Niklas Backstrom cap hit: 6.00 Million

And just for good measure:

Rick DiPietro cap hit: 4.50 Million.

By comparison Luongo @ 5.33 and his resume is a mind blowing bargain. Gillis will have no trouble finding a suitor willing to pay Luongo 40 million over 6 years.

Thanks very much all you ridiculous fans and media that brought this on.

I hope Lu goes and wins a cup with Tampa Bay or something in the next 2 - 4 years and everyone in Vancouver has to eat it.

The guy clearly isn't interested in having every ???? goal he lets in turn into a 2 day discussion anymore. He needs a city where there is basketball or football and no one gives a crap about hockey.

Lets hope Schneids is indeed the real deal.

This is not about the media or the fans.

Again, please ask yourself why Toronto is on his list of preferred destinations, or read some of the responses in this thread. He is walking away from the team because he wants to play. Toronto can promise him one thing, despite all the pressure and expectations from the "centre of the hockey universe": a guaranteed starting position and no competition in net.

This is not about the media or the fans.

Again, please ask yourself why Toronto is on his list of preferred destinations, or read some of the responses in this thread. He is walking away from the team because he wants to play. Toronto can promise him one thing, despite all the pressure and expectations from the "centre of the hockey universe": a guaranteed starting position and no competition in net.

Luongo's $10 million dollar season was paid out last year.

Moving forward, the money commitment is 6 years @ $6,716,000 per. The last 4 years of this contract were designed such that he could retire and the cap hit comes off the books (Pre 35 year old signing).

6.7 million is modest for a top 5 elite calibre goaltender, and he is signed for term. This is the key negotiating leverage that Gillis should take advantage of. When you break it down, and the fact that the cap hit is only 5.33 Million, this "bad contract" suddenly doesn't look so bad, 40 million over 6 years of actual money to an elite goaltender.

Some comparisons:

Henrik Lundqvist cap hit: 6.875 Million

Pekka Rinne cap hit: 7.00 Million

Bryzgalov cap hit: 5.66 Million

Ryan Miller cap hit: 6.25 Million

Niklas Backstrom cap hit: 6.00 Million

And just for good measure:

Rick DiPietro cap hit: 4.50 Million.

By comparison Luongo @ 5.33 and his resume is a mind blowing bargain. Gillis will have no trouble finding a suitor willing to pay Luongo 40 million over 6 years.

Archived