The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo Requests A Trade During Exit Meeting With Gillis

You can't blame the fans. Every player has fans and haters...look at Raymond.

There's only 4 people to blame here.

1. Luongo - For being so hot and cold. He has done well in most of the Regular season but hasn't performed in the playoffs.

2. Gillis - For signing that ridiculous contract. Because of this, Luongo's performance is constantly held against his contract. Players like Burr will never get this type of criticism because he is a value player. Lu's contract doesn't allow this, and will be criticized sometimes unfairly.

3. AV - Constantly putting Luongo out in situations that cause meltdowns. Reminds me of last year with Luongo took the coaching duties out of AV's hands by wanting to stay in a game he was getting shelled in.

4. Schneider - for playing so well the last few seasons. Few can deny that if Schneider didn't turn into such a solid goalie, Luongo wouldn't receive the boo's.

These guys are pro athletes making millions. Sure their feelings may get hurt during a game, but when they look at their bank account, I'm sure they forget about what you said about them on CDC very quickly. The fans didn't cause Luongo to want to leave.

This is directed towards the same fans I'm addressing, I assume.

You are absolutely correct. Our fans, compared to theirs, could perhaps be considered mild-mannered. Roberto is leaving because he wants more playing time. Fans have nothing to do with it.

It is surprising that we could legitimately say that the team's success in developing Schneider resulted in Luongo wanting to leave. I don't see how one could have so much respect for Roberto, considering he has decided to leave the team because of its strength developing players. When this team has reached the height of its success, Roberto feels he no longer belongs. That is incredibly disappointing. If he wants to play for another team, it's understandable from an individual's standpoint, but it shows he has no loyalty to this team.

Good riddance.

Bottom line is that Luongo plays for himself, his teammates and his family, as he has stated on more than one occasion. He does NOT play for the fans or the city or the media. That being said, why is anyone surprised that he would choose to do what is best for himself? I believe he craves attention, but only positive attention. Should he go to the Leafs, it could lead to epic melt downs, which do not seem to bother him.

He has been great while he has been here, in fact he was good enough to win a Cup last year, but the team was wore-out in front of him. I wish him well wherever he goes, but lets never kid ourselves .. Roberto is ALL about Roberto .. it is in the nature of the beast.

You are correct. In the end the city, the fans, the media, and the organization will get what they deserve - whether that is the Cup or the continuation of the goalie graveyard & the dismissal by the rest of the country/league.

Brodeur knows how it's done, stayed in NJ for 19 years, won 3 cups, and has definitely had some very bad stretches along the way. Funny how the only active goaltender who comes close to his stats is actually Luongo.

Honestly, I'm shocked Luongo didn't ask for a trade before this season after the number of times the Vancouver media has thrown him under the bus and backed over him.

I am a huge fan of both Lu and Schneids, and honestly think Schneider is the better long term option for this team (with some risk of course). However, Luongo is a monster, always has been - and will be for the foreseeable future. It seems like people in this city do not watch other teams play hockey and see that All-Star goalies all have rough patches: Just this year:

• Fleury (Stanley Cup Champion) absolutely deteriorated this playoffs

• Rinne, (Vezina Finalist) went through a HUGE rough patch down the stretch

• Niemi (Stanley Cup Champion) absolutely brutal down the stretch and into the playoffs

• Brodeur (too many things), incredibly hit or miss this season.

The list goes on...goaltending is a finicky position, especially in the playoffs where momentum swings are exaggerated and teams can come on in waves and score in bunches. Anybody that threw Luongo under the bus should re-evaluate what their goalie expectations are or they will be dissapointed for the rest of their hockey-watching career. The reason we've lost to Chicago, Boston, and L.A. is our inability to score and adapt our offense in critical games and anyone who tells you otherwise is crazy.

hahahah youre an idiot. hes not the face of the canucks, and he used to be an elite goalie.

now he's a goalie that can play well sometimes, plays decent normally, and sometimes plays terribly at clutch moments.

not to mention luongo's a big boy, he's a 33 year old athlete. I don't think some fans booing or something like that will hurt his feelings too much and especially not "ruin his career"

lets think a little more before we make stupid posts like that lmao

also, @TM085 :

it's not because "schneider went on a hot streak". schneider is always a fantastic goalie, I can't remember a game in which he played badly. He continuously and repeatedly exceeds luongo's play, and luongo continues to have meltdowns in which he loses the games for the team.

AV went with him in the last 2 elimination games as any smart person would have because schneider can steal games. Luongo played fine the last two, but schneider was undoubtedly the better goalie and almost stole both those games. His stats are inarguably better over the same number of playoff games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

Please, Luongo is sour for this one. He is feeling the heat and instead of playing better, he's asking to be shipped out. Let's look at a similar situation. Two years ago Timmy T lost his starting job to Tukka Rask who absolutely BEASTED the NHL that year, put up incredible numbers, even better than Schneider's numbers. What does Timmy T do? Comes back the next year, wins his job back, wins the Vezina again, wins the Stanley Cup and wins the Conn Smythe. Luongo ain't built like that. Trade him to Toronto for rights to the Raptors.

hahahah youre an idiot. hes not the face of the canucks, and he used to be an elite goalie.

now he's a goalie that can play well sometimes, plays decent normally, and sometimes plays terribly at clutch moments.

not to mention luongo's a big boy, he's a 33 year old athlete. I don't think some fans booing or something like that will hurt his feelings too much and especially not "ruin his career"

lets think a little more before we make stupid posts like that lmao

also, @TM085 :

it's not because "schneider went on a hot streak". schneider is always a fantastic goalie, I can't remember a game in which he played badly.

3 goals on 5 shots against Nashville, 5 goals on 28 shots vs Chicago. so he had 2 horrible games in what 33 games?

Luongo had probably 4 in roughly twice as many games, you play Schneider more games he will most likely have just as many bad games as Luongo. Schneider is not miles above Luongo and people like you that think he is are setting up for a major disaster if he isn't outstanding his first year as a starter

3 goals on 5 shots against Nashville, 5 goals on 28 shots vs Chicago. so he had 2 horrible games in what 33 games?

Luongo had probably 4 in roughly twice as many games, you play Schneider more games he will most likely have just as many bad games as Luongo. Schneider is not miles above Luongo and people like you that think he is are setting up for a major disaster if he isn't outstanding his first year as a starter

Archived