529 replies to this topic

#151 Joffrey Lupul

Joffrey Lupul

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

Apparently he wants to go to Toronto the most, they would have to send us a lousy contract so they would probs send us komisarek with a 1st and second

or
komisarek kulemin and a second

Very realistic trade proposal

2zi66q8.jpgnv20o20imarksmanx_zpsb4f8b662.jpg?55

small.pngGM - STHS Signature Credit goes to Vintage Canuck.

#152 grumpworsley

grumpworsley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

It really all started to fall apart when Luongo became Captain... what a stupid move

#153 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

Predictible.

You can't start another goalie (aka his backup) for the last 3 games of the playoffs and expect him to be ok with that.

The second it happened, he must have wanted out. AND not because of him, because of the coach starting the other guy.

But I think it is a good thing for him anyways - he needs a change, and I think wherever he will go he will succeed.

And I think it is a good thing for the canucks too. they need to change, and have a great goalie in Schneider. They obviously knew they would be sending him that message, so they cannot be surprised at all either.

It is a win-win, so just chill !

#154 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

This article might help understanding.

The Province:

Canucks' Luongo a Toronto Maple Leaf. Seriously
Toronto has the means, and Lu has the motivation in goalie guru Francois Allaire
BY JASON BOTCHFORD, THE PROVINCE APRIL 26, 2012 7:58 AM

I've been listening to Botchford on the TEAM 1040 morning show today, and he has multiple times echoed that the main reason Roberto is asking for a trade is likely his desire to be the starter, even if it means playing for Toronto. He does not want somebody to challenge him for the starting position.

As I've stated time and time again, Roberto has pushed himself out of this city. This is not about the team. This is about him. I can understand why he has done this, but he is essentially walking away from the team so that he may play more games.

*Mike Gillis is on the TEAM 1040 now. Tune in if you'd like.

Edited by WeatherWise, 26 April 2012 - 09:31 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#155 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

still on the fence with all this drama

but the plot has thickened!!

#156 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

I think everyone here is jumping the gun a little bit. This doesn't seem to be a really reliable report that Luongo asked for a trade, it's only a rumor. In a situation as touchy as this, I'd wait to hear it from Lu or MG themselves before jumping on it too much.

Even if Lu does get traded now, it doesn't mean he asked for a trade, just that he was willing to waive his no-trade clause if MG asks him to, which he has already statedthat he is.

#157 kacvan

kacvan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

If Luongo is traded it will be the second coming of the goalie graveyard. I hope Luongo does not leave the team. Cory is a good goaltender but he is no Luongo.
Posted Image

Keep The Faith The Canucks Will Win!!

#158 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

for a team that is looking to just make the playoffs, he is perfect. He can take a team that misses and send them into the post-season. and he CAN be the difference maker in the playoffs

hello TO!

Edited by canucksnihilist, 26 April 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#159 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,149 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

People would still love Lu if we had Dany Sabourin as our back-up.

I like Lu a lot but I like Schneider more. They are like cars. Schneider is the newer generation model. Schneider is new, sleek, and in perfect running condition. Lu has been reliable and is still great but he could start having mechanical problems from wear and tear soon, he doesn't have the new car smell anymore, and his maintenance costs are higher. There is of course the possibility that Schneider wasn't build as well as Lu and ends up being much less reliable.

If it came down to money you would get more for Schneider as he is a newer with lower mileage, so that should also be considered. Lu is a few mechanical problems away from being to expensive to drive and could end up in the scrap yard a few years down the road.

Edited by canucklehead44, 26 April 2012 - 09:35 AM.

Sig too big.

#160 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

Gillis deflected the question, opting to say that Roberto and he had agreed to talk over the phone in a few days and that he usually does not answer questions regarding personal meetings. He questioned why the information we've seen today is out in the media; this perhaps could be interpreted as him asking how the information surfaced in the media.

As expected, his answers were calculated and expected.

Edited by WeatherWise, 26 April 2012 - 09:35 AM.

#161 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

Lou opened the door for Schneider this year. After having an amazing season in 2010-11 under the Melanson system he reverted to his old self in playoffs and he lost his consistancy. This year again, he refused to follow that Melanson system that made him so successful the year before. Schneider blossomed under Melanson and as a result, Lou has been displaced,. It was a poor strategy on Lous part and now he is paying the price. His experience did not play into the equation.

#162 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

This is nothing but a farce that we drive goalies out of town and i get sick of it.What really happens is the Canucks goalies show glimpses of being very good and then turn they are horribly inconsistent and play like crap when we need them and let everybody down.What really drives goalies out of Vancouver is themselves and only fools don't realize this.Schneider won't have a problem delivering in Vancouver because first of all he's very gifted goalie who has no weaknesses, he is also strong minded and isn't a flake mentally like Luongo. Schneider is better then Luongo at every facet of the goaltending game, younger, cheaper and much stronger mentally. The Canucks brass would be complete idiots to keep Luongo over Schneider.

First off..... if you did any sort of goalie analysis before spouting off this dribble you would realize Roberto Luongo has been a top 5 goalie in the league since he has been here. Every goalie in this league has had their share of meltdowns and saying that any player has "let everybody down " is a ignorant statement. Next time don't include everyone else in your statements.
Secondly.....Saying Schneider has no weaknesses after 68 NHL games is making some wild assumptions. I can give you a couple already.....how about puckhandling, cramping issues, and has never won a playoff series to start.
Why is it so hard for Canuck fans to appreciate the greatness that some of our players have brought this city. Luongo brought Canada a GOLD medal in 2010 and came within 1 game of a cup (all the while the players set a record for least amount of goals scored in a final).
The Canucks may be better going forward with Schneider, but lets not forget that Luongo is a proud Canadian and the best keeper this team has ever had.

Edited by hockeyville88, 26 April 2012 - 09:55 AM.
Personal attack removed

#163 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Luongo's $10 million dollar season was paid out last year.

Moving forward, the money commitment is 6 years @ $6,716,000 per. The last 4 years of this contract were designed such that he could retire and the cap hit comes off the books (Pre 35 year old signing).

6.7 million is modest for a top 5 elite calibre goaltender, and he is signed for term. This is the key negotiating leverage that Gillis should take advantage of. When you break it down, and the fact that the cap hit is only 5.33 Million, this "bad contract" suddenly doesn't look so bad, 40 million over 6 years of actual money to an elite goaltender.

Some comparisons:

Henrik Lundqvist cap hit: 6.875 Million
Pekka Rinne cap hit: 7.00 Million
Bryzgalov cap hit: 5.66 Million
Ryan Miller cap hit: 6.25 Million
Niklas Backstrom cap hit: 6.00 Million

And just for good measure:

Rick DiPietro cap hit: 4.50 Million.

By comparison Luongo @ 5.33 and his resume is a mind blowing bargain. Gillis will have no trouble finding a suitor willing to pay Luongo 40 million over 6 years.

#164 apple123

apple123

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Thanks very much all you ridiculous fans and media that brought this on.

I hope Lu goes and wins a cup with Tampa Bay or something in the next 2 - 4 years and everyone in Vancouver has to eat it.

The guy clearly isn't interested in having every ???? goal he lets in turn into a 2 day discussion anymore. He needs a city where there is basketball or football and no one gives a crap about hockey.

Lets hope Schneids is indeed the real deal.

#165 Airjasper

Airjasper

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

I actually think Luongo would do great in Toronto. He would be praised at the start like he was when he came and saved the Canucks Franchise. If Lu carried them into the playoffs, which he would, then he would get his "Luongod" name back.

#166 tricarboxylic

tricarboxylic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

I'd like to personally 'thank' the as$h0l3s that ruined Luongo's career in Vancouver by treating an elite goalie like trash. Now there goes our face of the team.

True. Agree with you all the way.

#167 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

I hope Lu goes and wins a cup with Tampa Bay or something in the next 2 - 4 years and everyone in Vancouver has to eat it.

The guy clearly isn't interested in having every ???? goal he lets in turn into a 2 day discussion anymore. He needs a city where there is basketball or football and no one gives a crap about hockey.

This is not about the media or the fans.

Again, please ask yourself why Toronto is on his list of preferred destinations, or read some of the responses in this thread. He is walking away from the team because he wants to play. Toronto can promise him one thing, despite all the pressure and expectations from the "centre of the hockey universe": a guaranteed starting position and no competition in net.

Edited by WeatherWise, 26 April 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#168 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

for a team that is looking to just make the playoffs, he is perfect. He can take a team that misses and send them into the post-season. and he CAN be the difference maker in the playoffs

hello TO!

Don't we want to make the playoffs?

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#169 grumpworsley

grumpworsley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Again, please ask yourself why Toronto is on his list of preferred destinations, or read some of the responses in this thread. He is walking away from the team because he wants to play. Toronto can promise him one thing, despite all the pressure and expectations from the "centre of the hockey universe": a guaranteed starting position and no competition in net.

Agreed

#170 snolan

snolan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Well put.

Loungo has been jeered by the crowd in years past and not demanded a trade. It's simply about ice time, and not letting him play in the play-offs.

Looking for someone to blame? Look no further then the guy who started Schneider over him in the play-offs. You don't play all season just to sit on the bench come crunch time. All this blame on the 'fans forcing him out' is complete bs.

Edited by snolan, 26 April 2012 - 09:45 AM.

CMON GUYS HAVE SOME FAITH! WE ARE GOING TO WIN. ANYONE CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT IF THEY WANT. YOULL SEE

-- 1st Period of Game 2 VS the Kings, 2012 Series

#171 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Luongo's $10 million dollar season was paid out last year.

Moving forward, the money commitment is 6 years @ $6,716,000 per. The last 4 years of this contract were designed such that he could retire and the cap hit comes off the books (Pre 35 year old signing).

6.7 million is modest for a top 5 elite calibre goaltender, and he is signed for term. This is the key negotiating leverage that Gillis should take advantage of. When you break it down, and the fact that the cap hit is only 5.33 Million, this "bad contract" suddenly doesn't look so bad, 40 million over 6 years of actual money to an elite goaltender.

Some comparisons:

Henrik Lundqvist cap hit: 6.875 Million
Pekka Rinne cap hit: 7.00 Million
Bryzgalov cap hit: 5.66 Million
Ryan Miller cap hit: 6.25 Million
Niklas Backstrom cap hit: 6.00 Million

And just for good measure:

Rick DiPietro cap hit: 4.50 Million.

By comparison Luongo @ 5.33 and his resume is a mind blowing bargain. Gillis will have no trouble finding a suitor willing to pay Luongo 40 million over 6 years.

Great work on breaking down the salary. Just like to add the fact that the goalies this coming UFA season are very very lacking.The only names I see over there are that might be enticing are Martin Brodeur and Josh Harding. Harding is a good goalie at best..but hes nowhere near as talented or experienced as Luongo. Brodeur is 40 and I don't think hes got many years left in contrast to Lu who probably has 4-6 years left of quality goaltending left.

As for other goalies that might be available,

Bernier or Rask will command a high return for their services because of their potential and youth. Potential is the key word, Bernier is very much unproven that he can handle the mail and Rask will probably Tim Thomas' replacement.

Brian Elliot put up some solid numbers, but it might be just a one hit wonder and a product of the system. Ken Hitchcock teams tend to make goalies look very very elite with numbers because of the teams playing style ie. Steve Mason, Marty Turco

To say Luongo is going to fetch just another contract and a low return is absurd, its simply supply in demand, Luongo provides the best blend of value, resume, age, talent and should command a decent return. Probably a 1st or a 2nd and a high calibre prospect

#172 Kassian's Tooth

Kassian's Tooth

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

I doubt he will be the only goalie available I expect Thomas to be moved last years Stanley cup finals goalies on the trading block this summer LOL

Luongo will be traded before Thomas's ntc is over July first!!

#173 Canucklehead420

Canucklehead420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

thats to all the dipsh#it fans still living in their moms basement but know how to run an nhl team for treating the best goalie this franchise has ever had like garbage.

Lots of luck Lou

#174 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

The top players inteh league want to succeed in a city where how they play is recognized. Unfortunately, this can be a positive or negative recognition.

If LU wants to hide in some back-water market so he doesn't get noticed, well....

I personally don't think that is LU's motivation at all. It has nothing to do with teh fans as he has lots of strong supporters here. HIs motivation is that management has shown they have as much or more faith in Cory and he isn't interested in sharing the limelight.

#175 Canucklehead420

Canucklehead420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

If Luongo is traded it will be the second coming of the goalie graveyard. I hope Luongo does not leave the team. Cory is a good goaltender but he is no Luongo.

as good as he played i have questions about him playing 60+ games

Edited by hockeyville88, 26 April 2012 - 09:58 AM.
Inappropriate comment removed

#176 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,313 posts

Be careful what you wish for Canucks fans...

If Luongo goes to the Leafs, they're probably closer to winning the cup than us. We'll never hear the end of it from Toronto fans.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#177 Cr8zyCanuck

Cr8zyCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Can't remember who told me I was full of it. I told them I'd bet them money Luongo would be traded out of Vancouver by next trade deadline. He LAUGHED at me and berated me to the point where I was ready to throw my laptop out the window, obviously not though. My laptop is worth more than his house, and if you think that's an arrogant thing to say, you are probably right.

However it's not half as arrogant as people missing the inevitable shrugs Luongo gave to the media, hiding behind terrible acting pretending to be content with the situation--- and then claiming US, the ones who read into the finer circumstances of Luongo's situation, his stats dropping, his attitude--call us the ones who unreasonably predicted the most reasonable conclusion: Luongo was and is not happy as a Vancouver Canuck.

The people missing the tel-tale signs that Luongo secretly resented Schneider, were the same ones posting here claiming 'no of course not... he doesn't want out and he isn't going to ask to be traded'.

Well guess what. He does want out. And he is asking to be traded before anyone else can ask him. So that IMO means all you brainwashed Luo lovers really had it wrong, all wrong.

Any refutation is missing the point. You were wrong, and you missed the cues given to us that lead to his decision to NOT want to be a part of the Vancouver Canucks organization. Admit it, and I will respect you.

Edited by Cr8zyCanuck, 26 April 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#178 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

Got to love the so-called "fans" that want the Canucks to lose into obscurity. What ever happened to all that "support the team no matter what" we heard all year?

I like Lu, that's what sucks the most. I like him as a person, but I want the best chance to win a cup. If that means Cory, then that is what it means. I hope Lu has the best with his new team should that come to pass, but not at the expense of ours. I hope we dominate his team and any others we come across. (Keep in mind, if GMMG gets an offer he can't refuse for Cory instead, I am perfectly fine with Lu as the starter)

Always Canucks before anyone.

Always.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

“That guys an idiot. It’s his own fault if he can’t tell the difference between an all star center and a plug defenceman”

"It's not the location. We just can't beat the Canucks. Thank god they're in the West."

#179 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

sadly all these fools swinging from Schneids nut sack will not realize this unitl it is too late. as good as he played i have questions about him playing 60+ games

I'm not so sure how much you can blame the fans, the media, or Cory when Roberto could arguably be the one abandoning the team because of ice-time concerns. That's a harsh way to put it, but his actions fall under the same principle.

He could have expressed the desire to continue playing for this team, and he could have had Mike Gillis debate trading Schneider. That could have been an option still had Roberto said nothing. Instead, Roberto has forced Gillis to pursue moving him, perhaps to the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the details have been leaked. Roberto wants to play for the team that will let him play, not a team that can win. He has disregarded his recent success with the team and wants to play for a management group that will allow him to dictate how often he plays.

Edited by WeatherWise, 26 April 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#180 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

I disagree on both points.The situation now compared to the goalie graveyard days is entirely different. Before, we kept bringing in goalies who were either washed up or unproven. This time around, we already *have* a goalie waiting in the wings. He's semi-proven, and a complete up and comer. Two entirely difference scenarios.Second, Cory has done well to "nearly" prove himself as good or better than Luongo. Difference being that Schneider is young and will likely get better.... whereas Luongo is older and will decline or at least stay the same in the next couple of years.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.