The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider With Lack As Back Up For Next Year?

westvandude

As I have said before those that "BOOED" Lou have only them selves to blame...and when those same so called Fans..."BOO"...Cory...and they will...welcome to Vancouver...the place where a Goalie has no name...and is always the first one the Fans will blame..."BALLS"

He's getting the play off starts in Chicago over Climie, and by all reports is playing very well, and under pressure. They were down 2-0 in a best of 5 & have come back to tie the series 2-2, Lack winning the last game 2-1 by memory...

Given all the news around Lu getting traded this summer, the thought of Schneider as #1 and Lack as the back up is very intriguing given what I hear about Lack.

For those who follow these things closely, is Lack ready to be a back in NHL yet? How do you feel about that combo working next year?

No thank you. I think Lack still needs one more year in the AHL. Giving 10-20 games to an unproven goalie is not so smart.

Sign a veteran or good goalie who can handle at least 20 games. Cause i dont think Schneider can do 70+ games.

If Schneider is the team's #1 next year and Luongo is gone, I'd rather Gillis bring in a veteran backup. I think it would be smart for Lack to spend one more year in the AHL with Joe Cannata challenging him. That way Cannata won't be thrust with starting duties on the Wolves right away and he can be eased in, kind of like how Schneider was the backup for the Moose for the first part of the 07/08 season and then won the job in the latter part of the season.

If Luongo gets traded to Tampa then I think Gillis should try to get Mathieu Garon back in the deal. He's a good goalie who's perfectly suited to the backup role because he's above average for a backup and has shown that he can actually take the reins for a long period of time if needed. He played 48 games, went 23-16-4, and had a 2.85 GAA and .901 Save % on Lightning squad that iced a terrible defense in front of him.

NHL:

Cory Schneider

Mathieu Garon

AHL:

Eddie Lack

Joe Cannata

Junior:

David Honzik

Europe:

Jonathan Iilahti

+ Whatever other goalie(s) Gillis drafts this summer. I like that setup.

Archived