The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Kesler & Mason Raymond

InSoM-

Hey guys, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the situation of 2 of our more beloved(Or formerly Beloved) Canucks.

Ryan Kesler - The only explanation for his poor performance this year is the shoulder injury, we've seen it time and time again. It takes one season of nearly full play to get back to where you should be in terms of development. It happened with Coho's Back & Bieksa's Leg injury, the season after they came back - they turned back into the players we expect them to be.

Mason Raymond - I believe he is going through the same thing as Kesler; still recooping from his back injury. Though I think this could turn out to be a huge advantage for the Canucks long term. You can say what you want about his play this year; we all know he hasn't been what any of us had hoped for. As an RFA, and after having a very poor season; Personally I'm expecting Gillis to bring him back for 2-3 seasons at a VERY cheap price - I'm also expecting him to be able to pot 20+ goals next season.

If things go as well as they COULD - This could be another steal of a signing in a season or two ala Burrows' current deal.

Raymond is an RFA - so we have to qualify him or not qualify him, which would then make him a UFA. At that point, Raymond and Gillis can negotiate for a LOWER cap hit contract. This is unlikely.

If Gillis wants to keep him, or if he fears other GMs extending offer sheets to Raymond, then MG has to qualify him - for a player getting paid more than $1 million, the qualifying offer has to be at least 100%.

So your idea of signing Raymond for CHEAP is unlikely to happen unless CBA changes dramatically. We have to pay Raymond at least the same amount of money we are paying him now. At 2.5M, he's likely gone. Raymond is still young, but can't see Raymond taking another step in his development that will make him a top 6 forward. If he's not playing a top 6 forward role with the Canucks, he really is a misfit.

Hope this clarifies.

I really think the determining factor in keeping Raymond is his contract. If he and the Canucks can come to an agreement on a lower salary, he stays. If not, he's gone. Simple as that.

As for Kesler, I don't understand, at all, why people want to trade the guy. He is a year removed from winning the Selke Trophy, had back to back 70+ point seasons and has 5 straight 20+ goal seasons. He plays with as much or more heart than anyone else on the team and simply needs a better winger on the right side. Someone like Ray Whitney setting up both Kesler and Booth would bring back the 70 point Kesler and likely the 30 goal Booth. It's about fixing the problem, not getting rid of it in this case.

Keep Kesler no matter what. Future Captain.

Raymond, needs a fresh start to really focus on who he is and what he needs to do to improve.

I can still see Ottawa wanting him, or Dallas, hell even Winnipeg.

Teams that have good foundations but could always use a little help.

I still think a Predators Raymond jersey would look sick though

Keep Kesler no matter what. Future Captain.

Raymond, needs a fresh start to really focus on who he is and what he needs to do to improve.

I can still see Ottawa wanting him, or Dallas, hell even Winnipeg.

Teams that have good foundations but could always use a little help.

I still think a Predators Raymond jersey would look sick though

Unless we're looking for a change with Kesler by trading him for Jordan Staal, I see him as a lock in our lineup next year. It was an off year, and we know he can play much closer to his totals from the previous year.

Raymond - nevermind any assessment of if he's good or bad - is a player we can improve on in our top 6. We have potentially better suited players in out bottom 6 as well. I don't see him improving substantially over his career highs so he's likely to be gone.

One more thing though, if we don't have a deal in place for Raymond, we'd have to give him a qualifying offer for his current salary plus 10% extra. Raymond would take that, so if we want to sign him at a lower price, we'd have to negotiate it ahead of July 1st or look to package him in a trade.

Kesler was injured.

Lay off him people.

We know what he is capable of when healthy.

As far as the 'diving' is concerned, Kes was disappointed.

He probably thought that by embellishing, he can help the team and get some PP opportunities.

Dude's trying to contribute in any way possible.

Archived