The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Madness! Someone Start A Save Luongo Campaign Before Its Too Late!

Tiers

Some fans seemingly feel the need to sympathize now that Roberto has been deemed the outcast. The same effect occurs when an underdog is made apparent in various situations.

Regardless, Roberto is the one walking out on the team. I can't see how we should sympathize with him in this situation. He is showing to the city that he has no loyalty or a will to help this team win. He just wants to play where he can be the undisputed starting goaltender. Our strength in goal pushed him out of this city. The team became too successful and plentiful that he decided he no longer fit in.

Imagine that.

There is no other reason for Roberto to publicly stir controversy by revealing his thoughts to the media on Tuesday. He could have told Gillis in private and allowed him to negotiate with other general managers quietly. Instead, he implied to the rest of the NHL that he believes he should be the one moved.

The next day, information surfaced from Dan Murphy, arguably the most credible Canucks reporter, that Roberto had prepared a list of teams to negotiate with. Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie echoed this information. This was a major advancement from the day before. There was no indication that the team had asked him to waive his NTC; he was submitting this list voluntarily. Overnight, Nick Kypreos reported that Roberto Luongo had asked for a trade. There were no signs of ambiguity in either report. When asked in the morning about it by the TEAM 1040, Mike Gillis did not deny it, insisting only that he would not discuss the matter, and would speak with Roberto this week.

By originally inciting this controversy and then apparently leaking these recent developments to reporters, Luongo has placed an immense amount of pressure on Mike Gillis to trade him. Other general managers are now aware that Roberto wants to leave Vancouver, and will try to pry him away from the team for as little as possible. Gillis will receive less favorable offers now than he would have had Roberto stayed quiet. This does not help the team, and instead pressures Gillis to move Luongo. This is good for Roberto as he is now more likely than ever to leave; the return for him has diminished though, allowing his future team to give up less for him.

Making this ordeal public is a key to why I believe Roberto has put his own interests ahead of the team's. He was not required to tell the media anything that would solicit trade speculation and pressure Gillis to make a move.

<p>

<br />

Lu doesn&#39; thave a Vezina either and if it had not been for his meltdowns, he likely would have.<br />

<br />

Look, the scouts and coaches have watched Cory for 6 years.  They know everything there is to know about his style,m physical fitness, emotional staet etc.  They obviously believe he has all the pieces to be at least as good as Lu. This assessment is supported by many independent hockey professionals. <br />

<br />

MG is smart enough to know what he has and what it woud cost t replace a talent like Cory&#39;s.  Based on this and LU&#39;s age, histroy and contract, the decision to move Lu makes perfect hockey and business sense. MG has taken as much of the &quot;gamble&quot; out of this decision as he can.<br />

First off I am a long time follower of these boards but this is my first post.

My opinion on the whole situation is this:

1. Luongo reveals he would wave his no trade clause IF the Canucks asked him too. Within 24 hours media reports surface that Luongo will give a short list to Gillis next week. Regardless of the source unless it comes from the Canucks or Luongo it is pure speculation.

2. Gillis stated in his address to the media that he will be looking at getting the Canucks younger. He also stated that there was no question on the decision to start Schneider once we were down2-0 because the Canucks, specifically Gillis, wanted to see if he was as good as they thought he was. According to Gillis he is and passed the test. So maybe Cory has not played 60-70 games a season yet but the Canucks are confident that he can. He is younger, quicker, more positionally sound and full of promise and potential.

I mean look at Brayden Holtby! Rookie goalie never played in playoffs and he comes in and eliminates the defending Stanley cup champion Bruins! I have no doubt Schneider is better than Holtby.

3. The fans might pay the salaries of the Canucks but the Canucks are not a publicly owned organization where you can buy a share of the company ex. West Jet. So in actual reality we have absolutely 0 say on who gets traded. Ex. Cody Hodgson being traded. People were irate when it happened but could do nothing to stop it

4.Luongo feels, by his words to the media, that the perverbial writing is on the wall. He knows Schneider is good enough to be a starter and wants to be that man. Luongo is a very proud and competitive athlete and he wants to be THAT guy, the undisputed #1. He doesnt want to share the crease equally.

Luongo brought this team to a level not seen since '94 and for that we should be foeever grateful and appreciative. But even the oilers traded Wayne Gretzky so no one is immune to being moved.

Whatever is going on one thing is certain. This off season will be a very exciting and busy one for our beloved Canucks. I look forward to seeing what Gillis can bring in to keep making this team a top notch and competitive organization.

I know players are leaving and it will be sad to see them go but also exciting to see who comes in to replace them.

Go Canucks Go

Diehard fan for life!

P.S. be gentle it's my FIRST post lol

1. Luongo reveals he would wave his no trade clause IF the Canucks asked him too. Within 24 hours media reports surface that Luongo will give a short list to Gillis next week. Regardless of the source unless it comes from the Canucks or Luongo  it is pure speculation.

2. Gillis stated in his address to the media that he will be looking at getting the Canucks younger. He also stated that there was no question on the decision to start Schneider once we were down2-0 because the Canucks, specifically Gillis, wanted to see if he was as good as they thought he was. According to Gillis he is and passed the test.  So maybe Cory has not played 60-70 games a season yet but the Canucks are confident that he can.   He is younger, quicker, more positionally sound and full of promise and potential.

I mean look at Brayden Holtby! Rookie goalie never played in playoffs and he comes in and eliminates the defending Stanley cup champion Bruins! I have no doubt Schneider is better than Holtby.

3. The fans might pay the salaries of the Canucks but the Canucks are not a publicly owned organization where you can buy a share of the company ex. West Jet. So in actual reality we have absolutely 0 say on who gets traded. Ex. Cody Hodgson being traded. People were irate when it happened but could do nothing to stop it

4.Luongo feels, by his words to the media, that the perverbial writing is on the wall. He knows Schneider is good enough to be a starter and wants to be that man.  Luongo is a very proud and competitive athlete and he wants to be THAT guy, the undisputed #1. He doesnt want to share the crease equally.

Luongo brought this team to a level not seen since '94 and for that we should be foeever grateful and appreciative. But even the oilers traded Wayne Gretzky so no one is immune to being moved.

Whatever is going on one thing is certain. This off season will be a very exciting and busy one for our beloved Canucks. I look forward to seeing what Gillis can bring in to keep making this team a top notch and competitive organization.

I know players are leaving and it will be sad to see them go but also exciting to see who comes in to replace them.

Go Canucks Go

Diehard fan for life!

1. Luongo reveals he would wave his no trade clause IF the Canucks asked him too. Within 24 hours media reports surface that Luongo will give a short list to Gillis next week. Regardless of the source unless it comes from the Canucks or Luongo it is pure speculation.

2. Gillis stated in his address to the media that he will be looking at getting the Canucks younger. He also stated that there was no question on the decision to start Schneider once we were down2-0 because the Canucks, specifically Gillis, wanted to see if he was as good as they thought he was. According to Gillis he is and passed the test. So maybe Cory has not played 60-70 games a season yet but the Canucks are confident that he can. He is younger, quicker, more positionally sound and full of promise and potential.

4.Luongo feels, by his words to the media, that the perverbial writing is on the wall. He knows Schneider is good enough to be a starter and wants to be that man. Luongo is a very proud and competitive athlete and he wants to be THAT guy, the undisputed #1. He doesnt want to share the crease equally.

Go Canucks Go

Diehard fan for life!

regardless of how this situation plays out, it'll reflect poorly on the organization, signing player to long term contract with NTC or NMC means nothing to this organization, they'll find ways to make you waive it ie sitting you demoting you etc etc. so if i'm a free agent that wants stability, do i want to sign with Vancouver?

I am not in Vancouver(Victoria) but I am telling you all before it is too late someone, somewhere has to start a campaign to stop this insanity and show support for Luongo staying here. You are all gonna regret this when he is gone.

Get on the INTERNET phone RADIO and TV STATIONS, BILLBOARDS , BURN THE DOWNTOWN, (oops nevermind that) SOMETHING YOU FOOLS !!!

For once show Rpberto Luongo some support dammit !

STOP THE MADNESS!!!

I thank god too... Sentimentalism gets you knowhere, and i dont know the right decision. Thats why GMs get paid. I will be very sad to see lu go, but thrilled to move forward

With whatever our team becomes this summer!

...and if MG catered to the special interst fans that say keep Luongo and he fails to play well while Cory backstops his new team to a cup these asme fans would scream bloody murder and ask for MG's head.

If the emotional fanboys were in charge, Cody H would have replaced Hank as 1st line center and Ehrhoff would be our #1 shut down D man.

This is a sports and business decision to do what is best for the team. Thank God the fans aren't part of the decison-making process.

Welcome ! Great post.

The only part of your post that made me go nope, was re Gillis "keep making the team a top notch and competitive organization." I can't help feel he had a great team and has lost it, maybe it is because of injuries, but i am not happy with the trades he made this year. Also, the way he brought the "cody hodgson" trade up again, was not a good PR move imho...I don't trust what comes out of his mouth.

Archived