The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I'd Rather Keep Luongo Than Schneider

Sixteen W's

Simply, the Canucks would get a better return for Schneider than Luongo right now. Even if the team frees up Luongo's cap space, a bulk of that will go into Schneider's new contract.

The Canucks' window of opportunity depends on how long the Sedins can play at the level they're playing.

It's the lack of offense and defense that let Luongo down. Even with Schneider, this team just did nothing better to win.

The Canucks have had phenomenal goaltending with no offense when Luongo first got here, and it didn't work out. If Luongo wants out though, it's obviously his decision, and who could blame him?

No way, Schnider is younger, cheaper, and doesn't have a ridiculously long contract. If we can move Lu, we have to. I also think CS is a better goalie right now, let alone the future, but that's just my opinion.

I agree keeping Luongo makes more sense. He's much more proven.

Sure Schneider seems to be the better goalie, but he could just as well turn into a Cory Crawford as opposed to a Patrick Roy like some little kiddies on here are saying.

Luongo is not already gone like some peope are saying. If Gillis convinces him that Schneider's gone and he's the number 1 there's still a good chance he stays.

If we do keep Schneids it won't be long before part of the fan base turns on him. Judging from some of his comments on how he is tired of how Luongo was treated makes me wonder exactly how long he'll want to stay here. It would serve some of the Luongo-haters right if they also indirectly drive Cory out of town as well.

As a sesaon ticket holder I hope not.

If we do keep Schneids it won't be long before part of the fan base turns on him. Judging from some of his comments on how he is tired of how Luongo was treated makes me wonder exactly how long he'll want to stay here. It would serve some of the Luongo-haters right if they also indirectly drive Cory out of town as well.

As a sesaon ticket holder I hope not.

Simply, the Canucks would get a better return for Schneider than Luongo right now. Even if the team frees up Luongo's cap space, a bulk of that will go into Schneider's new contract.

The Canucks' window of opportunity depends on how long the Sedins can play at the level they're playing.

It's the lack of offense and defense that let Luongo down. Even with Schneider, this team just did nothing better to win.

The Canucks have had phenomenal goaltending with no offense when Luongo first got here, and it didn't work out. If Luongo wants out though, it's obviously his decision, and who could blame him?

Funny how you try and insult people by calling them "Lu fanboys", when I could just as easily call you a Schneider fanboy...

It's not about being a Luongo supporter, or a Schneider supporter, it's about which goalie gives us the better chance of winning going forward. And my belief is that goalie is still Luongo. Unless you have a crystal ball you can't tell me I'm wrong.

I agree keeping Luongo makes more sense. He's much more proven.

Sure Schneider seems to be the better goalie, but he could just as well turn into a Cory Crawford as opposed to a Patrick Roy like some little kiddies on here are saying.

Luongo is not already gone like some peope are saying. If Gillis convinces him that Schneider's gone and he's the number 1 there's still a good chance he stays.

For the window we have to win the cup with our current core (up to 3 years), I think a team with Luongo + the pieces a Schneider trade could bring has a better chance to win in the cup than a team with Schneider + the (lesser) pieces a Luongo trade could bring.

I think it's pretty clear Luongo will be the one to go. For the short-term, I think a Schneider trade would be better just based on what we can get for whoever we trade. I think both are very capable of winning the cup, regardless of who you think is the better of the two.

Of course, we have to think about long-term too. I think regardless of who we trade now we'll be facing a similar situation in 2-4 years with Lack coming up, meaning that trading Schneider isn't completely forfeiting our goaltending future but obviously Schneider is a lot more certain than Lack.

EDIT: just want to say that my post is not about the actual goalies and who's better etc. Just about what the return we can get and our chances of winning with those pieces. I don't want to get in a debate where we all know there is no middle ground haha

Archived