Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

I'd Rather Keep Luongo Than Schneider

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
133 replies to this topic

#31 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,144 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

this playoff proved that nux can't win with either goalie. The problem is not goal tending. So the logical thing is to see which trade will result in a better team.

Cory likely gets a better return due lower cap hit, age. So maybe MG will trade him instead. Lui might stay as long he is the starter.

Edited by Jaimito, 26 April 2012 - 02:33 PM.

Posted Image

#32 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,172 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

You may not be wrong, but you sure are delusional.

Well if I'm right, how would I be delusional? Kind of a contradiction.

Nobody can tell me that Luongo wouldn't give us a better chance of winning in the future, because nobody really knows. That's why there's this debate going on.

If Schneider was the obvious choice, it would be an easy decision.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#33 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

My liver can't handle all the shots I take when Luongo belly flops so I'd rather keep Schneider.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#34 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,648 posts

No, it proves that we were in a 2-0 hole and that the team needed a spark.

But go ahead and jump to conclusions like everyone else.

A spark would have been playing Cory in game 3...playing him in 4 and 5 - both elimination games - sent a stronger message.

#35 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

A spark would have been playing Cory in game 3...playing him in 4 and 5 - both elimination games - sent a stronger message.

Ssssssshhhh.

That goes against his Luongo will be here next year theory.

#36 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

dude!!

It's out of our control :towel:

#37 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Well if I'm right, how would I be delusional? Kind of a contradiction.

Nobody can tell me that Luongo wouldn't give us a better chance of winning in the future, because nobody really knows. That's why there's this debate going on.

If Schneider was the obvious choice, it would be an easy decision.

begging the question
Posted ImagePosted Image

#38 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Watching Luo attempt a save from his belly reminds me of:

Posted Image

We've been waiting 6 years for him to evolve.

hahaha!

#39 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,172 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

To me its not about Cory, its about the team. Honestly I dont watch hockey to watch goalies. I know they are a part of it but in no way is my focus is on Cory for some idolising reason.

I dont have a a crystal ball, but I can assure you I watched every single game this team has played for many years. From the previous three playoff series, I have seen that Lu can be great and he can be horrible (Also the fact that we will see both sides of him in any given playoff). This is not stable goaltending, and we NEED stable goaltending. Cory is level and not just that he is great at what he does too, and he is also emotionally stable for this market. If we couldnt win with him last year, we will never win with him, think about it logically please!

People say we couldnt score a goal in the finals but that still doesnt make up for such blowout losses while we were exchanging shots with Boston and at times clearly outshooting them and out chancing them. I can go on and on about why Cory would be the better option, honestly but I just think if for a second you could let go of the attachment with Lu (which will be very tough to do) you will clearly see what we have in Cory is so unbelieveable...its a blessing, he is going to be incredible, just watch. We have landed on a gold mine, for real!!!

Well Schneider has played a grand total of 4 full playoff games as a starter, and bottom line is he's 1-3. Sure he played well enough in those games to get the win, but the fact is that's a pretty small sample size to take such a big gamble on.

Yes we've seen Luongo be great in the playoffs, and we've seen him be horrible. But if you look at it game by game, for the most part it's been great. The problem with Schneider is there's such a small sample size that we haven't seen any horrible games from him. So we really don't know how he would react after meltdowns. We'd like to pretend he'd be cool and calm like always but we don't know.

Edited by DeNiro, 26 April 2012 - 02:38 PM.

Posted Image

#40 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,648 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

this playoff proved that nux can't win with either goalie. The problem is not goal tending. So the logical thing is to see which trade will result in a better team.

Cory likely gets a better return due lower cap got, age. So maybe MG will trade him instead. Lui might stay as long he is the starter.

But if you guarantee Lu he's the starter, he is technically holding the team to ransom. What motivation is there then for Lack or any other goalie to come to Vancouver when they know that Lu dictates when and where he plays?

Lu speaking out abou tmoving and (if true) requesting a trade has made it impossible for management to keep him without undermining all the values of the oprganization.

If, on the other hand, all of this is speculation with no substance, MG may still be able to keep Lu if the decision does come down to what value they get for Lu versus Cory.

ALL this emotional pleading to keep Lu because of what he has done for Vancouver is ridiculous..THis is a business and the fans want a winning product. It's up to MG to give it to them.

Hero's get traded!! Get over it!!

Think - Gretzky; Patrick Roy; Messier; Brad Richards;...Nash wants out; Suter and/or Weber could be on the move; Parise will be out of Jersey. These guys are all fan favorites in their markets.

It happens all the time!!

For those who think LU is the better goalie, fine you believe what you believe and I understand that but for those who want to keep Lu because they like him or because he has been such a great guy ...get over it.

#41 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,172 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

So then you just keep switching goalies back and forth?

No, once you make the change you stick with it. Nothing's more demoralizing for a team than constantly switching back and forth between goalies in the playoffs.

Edited by DeNiro, 26 April 2012 - 02:41 PM.

Posted Image

#42 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

If we do keep Schneids it won't be long before part of the fan base turns on him. Judging from some of his comments on how he is tired of how Luongo was treated makes me wonder exactly how long he'll want to stay here. It would serve some of the Luongo-haters right if they also indirectly drive Cory out of town as well.

As a sesaon ticket holder I hope not.

I think Schneider can deal with the fans better than Lou he has no problem calling them out. Different personality and temperment.

#43 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

Fans don't realize as good as Schnieds was last 3 games, we only won 1 out of 3!! And this is not a knock on Schnieds rather showing we can still lose with unreal goaltending...With those stats Canucks should have won all 3 games.

This is why if Schnieder gets you a star foward, that trade makes wayy more sense. But it seems Lu has requested it out.

The way I see it Schnieder will give us great goal tending no doubt, but if no significant pieces are added up front, we aint going far.
We may end up being the 06/07 Canucks when Lu gave us unreal goaltending but we had zero offense.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#44 Deadweed

Deadweed

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

No, it proves that we were in a 2-0 hole and that the team needed a spark.

But go ahead and jump to conclusions like everyone else.

Why is it that the team seemed to always go to Schneider when it 'needed a spark'?
Like when they played the powerhouse teams in Chicago, Boston, Red Wings, etc. :sadno:

#45 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

Just as I wish Lou well, I wish some of you that are leaving well with your new team.

Assuming that Lou is indeed traded. MG is not going to take a stupid deal.

Edited by TimberWolf, 26 April 2012 - 02:47 PM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#46 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,144 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

The arguments against keeping lui is mostly emotional. I suggest you guys take a bigger picture look at what the team's weaknesses are. Goaltending is not one of them.
Posted Image

#47 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,545 posts

Why is it that the team seemed to always go to Schneider when it 'needed a spark'?
Like when they played the powerhouse teams in Chicago, Boston, Red Wings, etc. :sadno:

DeNiro: "To increase his trade value."

#48 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,172 posts

Because they were proving that he could beat teams other than just weak divisional opponents, therefore driving up hi market value.

Pretty straight forward.

Posted Image

#49 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,172 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Pretty obvious. Glad you realize it.

Posted Image

#50 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,648 posts

So then you just keep switching goalies back and forth?

No, once you make the change you stick with it. Nothing's more demoralizing for a team than constantly switching back and forth between goalies in the playoffs.

WE can go around and around on this one but just for fun...

If LU is the designated starter and #1 goalie for the team then yes, you put him back in for game 4. Teams sometimes switch goalies back and forth a number of times in a game. If the intent is to get the team to wake up, starting Cory in one game would be enough. Add to this that AV always states he puts the guys in that he feels give him the best chance of winning on a game by game basis and the message to Lu was crystal clear.

YOu can also look at the stats - Lu played great and let in 7 goals in 2 games. Cory played great and let in 4 in 3.33 games. DId the team play better in the last 3 games...perhaps a bit but Cory faced 81 shots in the last 2 regulation games. Certainly the team defence was not "tight" for Cory.

#51 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

If we do keep Schneids it won't be long before part of the fan base turns on him. Judging from some of his comments on how he is tired of how Luongo was treated makes me wonder exactly how long he'll want to stay here. It would serve some of the Luongo-haters right if they also indirectly drive Cory out of town as well.

As a sesaon ticket holder I hope not.

Luongo came to Vancouver hyped up as the best goalie in the world. Expectations were high to begin with and the 12 yr contract and captaincy certainly didn't do him any favours. Schneider's contract will not be nearly as long, he won't be the captain and he's not hyped as the saviour of the canucks so we won't expect as much.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#52 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,545 posts

Because they were proving that he could beat teams other than just weak divisional opponents, therefore driving up hi market value.

Pretty straight forward.

Called it.

Score one for the Smirk.

#53 Deadweed

Deadweed

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

e
Exactly.
And that shows the team's confidence in him.
Cory will only have his value increased IF he wins/performs amazingly in those blockbuster games.
lf the coaching staff didn't see Cory winning, they won't allow him to be exposed in those games.

Edited by Deadweed, 26 April 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#54 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

Did'nt you guy's here what Luongo said yesterday "I want to do what best for the team". Now, why don't you guy's do the same? i.e, get behind Schneider and the rest of the team. His last interview as a Canuck will hopefully unite our fanbase, and we'll all just support our team.

#55 Deadweed

Deadweed

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

Pretty straight forward.

And Roberto can't/may not.!
ln fact in playing Cory in those games, they may already have bruised Lu's ego.

Edited by Deadweed, 26 April 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#56 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,172 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

WE can go around and around on this one but just for fun...

If LU is the designated starter and #1 goalie for the team then yes, you put him back in for game 4. Teams sometimes switch goalies back and forth a number of times in a game. If the intent is to get the team to wake up, starting Cory in one game would be enough. Add to this that AV always states he puts the guys in that he feels give him the best chance of winning on a game by game basis and the message to Lu was crystal clear.

YOu can also look at the stats - Lu played great and let in 7 goals in 2 games. Cory played great and let in 4 in 3.33 games. DId the team play better in the last 3 games...perhaps a bit but Cory faced 81 shots in the last 2 regulation games. Certainly the team defence was not "tight" for Cory.

LA is one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. There's a reason why they could only get 1 or 2 past him.

You can't compare what Schneider did against a low scoring team like the Kings, to what Luongo did against a juggernaught team like the Bruins. Not to mention the injuries we had on D.

I would say the team has been just as to blame for meltdowns in the past as our goalie.

Called it.

Score one for the Smirk.

Because it was obvious.

Thanks for supporting my point.

Posted Image

#57 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,648 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Pretty straight forward.

SO GIllis was lying when he said "playing COry was not by accident. We wanted to see if he was as good as we think he is, and he is". He also said that COry coming along has changed the landscape and they now have to reevaluate where they are. THis was said after the elimination to LA. Such a statement could be used to drive up Cory's value for sure but if you calculate in what saying that would do to Lu's reputation and ego, no way MG says that publicly. THis was about more than "pumping Cory's tires".

#58 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,172 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

what if we trade luongo.....and our piss poor defense remains piss poor and Cory doesnt take us to the promised land, what then??

You can view all of my CDC artwork in this thread:

http://forum.canucks...f-toni-zamboni/

Follow me on Twitter:  @Toni_Zamboni

#59 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

Called it.

Score one for the Smirk.

CS played all the big games so his trade value increases and Luongo only played 55 games this season so he can rest for the playoffs.

oh wait

:bigblush:

#60 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,172 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

And Roberto can't/may not.!

Luongo has a much longer track record of beating good teams than the 3 that Schneider beat this season.

But this is stupid, I don't wanna go back and forth comparing the two. My belief is Luongo is the better choice going forward. If you believe otherwise that's everyone's own choice.

Time will tell.

Edited by DeNiro, 26 April 2012 - 02:55 PM.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.