The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I'd Rather Keep Luongo Than Schneider

Sixteen W's

Luongo has a much longer track record of beating good teams than the 3 that Schneider beat this season.

But this is stupid, I don't wanna go back and forth comparing the two. My belief is Luongo is the better choice going forward. If you believe otherwise that's everyone's own choice.

Time will tell.

SO GIllis was lying when he said "playing COry was not by accident. We wanted to see if he was as good as we think he is, and he is". He also said that COry coming along has changed the landscape and they now have to reevaluate where they are. THis was said after the elimination to LA. Such a statement could be used to drive up Cory's value for sure but if you calculate in what saying that would do to Lu's reputation and ego, no way MG says that publicly. THis was about more than "pumping Cory's tires".

Well Schneider has played a grand total of 4 full playoff games as a starter, and bottom line is he's 1-3. Sure he played well enough in those games to get the win, but the fact is that's a pretty small sample size to take such a big gamble on.

Yes we've seen Luongo be great in the playoffs, and we've seen him be horrible. But if you look at it game by game, for the most part it's been great. The problem with Schneider is there's such a small sample size that we haven't seen any horrible games from him. So we really don't know how he would react after meltdowns. We'd like to pretend he'd be cool and calm like always but we don't know.

Ohh cmon now really!! Was it any different when we had Cloutier? We still had players coming to Vancouver. Lets be realistic here. Lui been here for 6 years. And since that time he had re-signed 3 times. He signed an offer sheet when he came here. Then he signed a 4 year deal,then the 12. It was his choice to stay or go after his first year.

LA is one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. There's a reason why they could only get 1 or 2 past him.

You can't compare what Schneider did against a low scoring team like the Kings, to what Luongo did against a juggernaught team like the Bruins

The sample size might be small but in which case you can go back in his career and see that he has always been great. In every level of competition he has played he has played in important games and has always played well. Even this season and the season before he was great. He just had his second, third and fourth ever start in nhl playoffs during an elimination game for a team that had a lot of pressure on it and guess what he put up the best numbers by far in these playoffs. He is not a 20 year old player who has so much to go through, he is a 26 year old man and what you get is what you see, dont expect much of a change.

The risk is not that big at all, if you logically compare it to the risk of keeping Lu. Lu is on his way to being 34 and you say that he has experiance but what good is that experiance when you are aging and your play is getting worse because you are over the hill. This contract is for 10 years and his numbers are down. While Cory is young and he is definitely trending upwards.

Cory's mental makeup is great and he did have bad games but he came back strong and honestly you dont have to be a pyschologist to know that this man is extremely stable mentally, even after he allows a goal you can see he is not rattled. You speak of meltdowns well of all the good goalies that have ever melted down, the low is held by Lu (sorry to say it but its true). Therefore it is not hard to see that even if Cory does melt down it will never be to the depths of Lu's meltdowns. So the trade off there is fine too.

Lu has been great and you say that is all that matters but honestly its not. We lost every series when he has not been great other than the Nashville series. So what really matters is when he has not been great.

You say Lu was not put into the last 3 games to spark the team, if that was true, Roberto would not be coming out and saying that he is ready for a trade. The coach would have reassured him of his place in the team and would have told him it was just that one series.

Finally my fellow Cdcer, you say there is more risk to Cory but the fact is there is more risk to Lu because even if Cory doesnt contiue to put up a sv% of 0.930+ we still have other great young goaltenders on the way, ie Eddie Lack, Joe Cannata. But if we dont trade Lu (big contract) now while he still have much value and is at a resonable age for a desperate team, we might end up beiing stuck with him and not getting anything of value later on. Having a 5 mil back up would be disasterous for a team in the cap world, especially with the CBA ending in september.

Edit: grammer and another point, that Quick guy well he has played against Cory for pretty much since they were young and it has ALWAYS been Cory who was the better goalie. And just look at what Quick got yesterday, a nomination for goalie of the year (because he was given an oppurtunity) and just watch when cory is given a chance to prove himself.

I agree. Schneider has only played 30 games in a season. He has not played a full NHL season yet and while I hope he lives up to his potential, it has happened again and again that goalies look great and then crash and burn when faced with the pressure of a starting role (look up Vesa Toskala - he doesn't even play in the NHL anymore). If they trade Luongo they will have to bring in a seasoned veteran as a back up because I think it would be too risky to back him up with Eddie Lack (who has no NHL experience). If Lack is as good as he is touted to be, then bring him up next year to back up Luongo and build experience. I love Cory but I think it is better for the team to trade him and keep Luongo. I dont' really think Cory will get as much as people think though because of his inexperience.

If Luongo did request a trade (isn't it just speculation right now?) then that sucks for the Canucks because they would be losing a goalie who turned their team around. For Luongos sake I do want to see him traded (even without his alleged trade request) because I don't think he is given the credit or respect that he deserves. People have short memories when it comes to the good things he has done and only remember the few bad goals he lets in (what about the 6 great saves he makes before the bad goal?).

Either way it will be interesting to see what happens this off season. I'm excited to see what the Canuck roster looks like next year.

Simply, the Canucks would get a better return for Schneider than Luongo right now. Even if the team frees up Luongo's cap space, a bulk of that will go into Schneider's new contract.

The Canucks' window of opportunity depends on how long the Sedins can play at the level they're playing.

It's the lack of offense and defense that let Luongo down. Even with Schneider, this team just did nothing better to win.

The Canucks have had phenomenal goaltending with no offense when Luongo first got here, and it didn't work out. If Luongo wants out though, it's obviously his decision, and who could blame him?

Archived