Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

I'd Rather Keep Luongo Than Schneider

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
133 replies to this topic

#121 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

Yeah who's to say Cory is going to be worried about ridiculous fans jumping on him anytime he struggles. Not to mention the pressure of getting us into the playoffs every year like luongo did.

Vancouver market sucks and the players know it.

Most players don't read the paper or come on CDC. Schneider is a big boy. Getting paid 3-5 million to be a goalie means he can handle the pressure.
I Love Lamp...

#122 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,868 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

Luongo has 2 choices. Shave his hair or get the hell out.

I already know which he will choose. :picard: :picard:

#123 Pemberton84

Pemberton84

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

I'm greedy keep both..."BALLS"

I post about once or twice a year, yes you could call me a forum lurker.

However this is exactly how I feel on the current situation and have not seen it supported much on here, let's keep em both!

Cory is a RFA, so we should tender the max that is allowed by us and if another team chooses to put forth an offer sheet we need to see if we can fit that within our cap and if not how we could. But at the end of the day I believe if we are able to retain our tandem of Lu and Cory our team will be better off.... assuming AV gets the axe he rightly deserves.

Canucks in 2013!

#124 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,868 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

However this is exactly how I feel on the current situation and have not seen it supported much on here, let's keep em both!

Cory is a RFA, so we should tender the max that is allowed by us and if another team chooses to put forth an offer sheet we need to see if we can fit that within our cap and if not how we could. But at the end of the day I believe if we are able to retain our tandem of Lu and Cory our team will be better off.... assuming AV gets the axe he rightly deserves.

Canucks in 2013!

Even if you split their games evenly 41-41 each, both will be unhappy.

Schneider said in the end of season interviews he wants to be a starter somewhere next season. He doesn't want to be 1A and same goes with Luongo.

It worked this year, but now Schneider is talking like a guy who is finished with being a back-up.

It's an unworkable situation.

#125 puckluv

puckluv

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

Canucks in 2013!

I think that would be ideal, like Lennon and McCartney :)

Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation. Michael Jordon

#126 Canucklehead73

Canucklehead73

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

Simply, the Canucks would get a better return for Schneider than Luongo right now. Even if the team frees up Luongo's cap space, a bulk of that will go into Schneider's new contract.

Well I see you point, but have to disagree, most teams will always go for the best players and try to build around them. It is how they draft, you always hear the mantra, take the best player available. Personally I think this question is a bit muddy as goaltending, especially young goaltending can be a muddy subject. Comparing Lu to Cory can be a dangerous subject for any GM not just MG.

If I was a GM my favor would always be having the best possible players, to be on the ice for the crucial moments that win you games and hopefully championships. When the chips are down, do you really want the lesser player on the ice because you got better return on your assets?

Not going to argue who is the better player here, but I would always pick the better player, because that IS your investment and your already getting the best return possible from that position of strength. Just my two cents.

Edited by Canucklehead73, 26 April 2012 - 11:41 PM.

Go Canucks Go!

#127 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

Simply, the Canucks would get a better return for Schneider than Luongo right now. Even if the team frees up Luongo's cap space, a bulk of that will go into Schneider's new contract.

The Canucks' window of opportunity depends on how long the Sedins can play at the level they're playing.

It's the lack of offense and defense that let Luongo down. Even with Schneider, this team just did nothing better to win.

The Canucks have had phenomenal goaltending with no offense when Luongo first got here, and it didn't work out. If Luongo wants out though, it's obviously his decision, and who could blame him?

First off, Schneider won't eat up the bulk of anything.

But more importantly kids, sometimes you just need to change things and it is that time. Something needs to be changed and the easiest thing is to change our flaky, fall apart when it matters goalie. We all know he can be great but he can also be horrible when it really matters. Some fanboys think he should be given 4 more chances. Most sane people know the time has come. I think it best for both parties, we ALL KNOW Roberto needs to play closer to home for the sake of his family. Well, maybe not all of us.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#128 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

Canucks in 2013!

Keeping both sounds great but is a total waste of assets. We can only play one goalie and if we can turn one of them into an important piece it would be idiotic to keep both. It's like having two beautiful cars and nowhere to live. Sell a ****** car!!!
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#129 tallmedic

tallmedic

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

You do realize that his size 15 skates and the fact that he is playing deeper in the net forces him to go on his stomach to make certain saves, right? The same saves Schneider makes, Luongo has to go down because he is bow-legged and has MASSIVE skates.

Yes but the difference is Schneider stays up tall and actually stopps the pucks. If luongo cant then he needs to move out and challenge

#130 tallmedic

tallmedic

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

ur vote doesnt count

and get the math right. 90 mil is not freed up. his cap hit is <6 mill per yr. what aquilini actually pays him is another story. but you are not paying him either, so it's irrelevant.

You make no sense dude, you tell me to get the math right yet you didnt touch on stats. and the number of quality years does matter for looking at the team in the long run, luongos heart is gone from the canucks, he had competition from schneider and caved under the pressure. for his career he needs a change which means another team. either way a goalie is only as good as the team infront of him, but the team plays better when schneider is in the net they have more confidence.

#131 Quint

Quint

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

<p>

<br />
Anyone who thinks we should keep the younger better goalie, why are you even here??? This thread is strictly for Lu fanboys lmao!<br />

<br />
<br />
</p>
Y'know what, I am the farthest thing from a Luongo fanboy, and I still wouldn't mind trading Schneider instead. I think Luongo is a diver, a flopper, and inconsistent. I don't like him as an interview (though he has improved this year), and I think making him "Captain" was a joke and an ego stroke. BUT he has played in this league a long time, and teams all have the book on him, but he still gets pretty good results. Schneider has yet to face that kind of scrutiny, and we don't know what the book on him is going to reveal. All that being said, if I had to choose one of them going forward with no trade involved, I'd take Schneider. With the trade it's a different story.

Luongo + Asset(s) from Schneider trade > Schneider + Asset(s) from Luongo trade.

Long story short, if Corey's return is high enough keep Luongo. If not, keep Corey.

#132 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

While I agree we should keep both, there has to be a No. 1 If either can't accept that then the organisation has to sit down and make a choice....................Me? I would keep Lu.
Kevin.jpg

#133 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

While I agree we should keep both, there has to be a No. 1 If either can't accept that then the organisation has to sit down and make a choice....................Me? I would keep Lu.

I'm surprised you're not pushing for Mason Raymond to be the new goalie seeing as he will be out of a job soon.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#134 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

Actually, isn't Magikarp one of the most powerful pokemon in the games? He's the only pokemon you can actually find in the wild at level 99. Also, old Magikarp are known to be able to leap entire mountains. Considering that 71% of the world is covered in water, and Magikarp pretty much make up 90% of the world's sea activity, then that means that Magikarp has the numbers advantage and pretty much have you surrounded all the time. Also, if your Magikarp is down to 1hp, it's attack "flail" deals 200 base damage. That's pretty intense.

Encore, bravo!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :towel: :towel: :towel:

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.