The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thomas Tells Fan To Smile After Loss.

i think this was already posted somewhere, but thomas' young daughter often attends the games with his wife, and often at the end of games thomas goes to find her and waves at her. this may or may not be what happened here.

either way, nothing wrong with it. it's hard for bruins fans to feel too down or complain after winning the cup last year

like what? remember what he was saying to all the canucks in the handshake line? that was classy. just cause he's a little crazy on the political side doesn't make him a bad person. besides, your insinuations of racism are distasteful. quite a few athletes refused to go to the white house and shake bush's hand, it wasn't a big deal

he didn't compare obama to hitler. he quoted someone who was talking about the progressive ascension of the Nazi regime to illustrate how he believes it's possible for rights to be taken away little by little without people realizing it until it's too late. obviously i don't think that of the US government, but he really never compared obama to hitler. it's a big stretch to interpret that as comparing obama to hitler

you are correct that James Harrison was the only athlete who didn't visit bush, i was thinking of an article that listed all the people who didn't visit since the tradition started, though i can't find it now. Theo Epstein, the general manager of the Boston Red Sox refused to visit GW, which i think is an even bigger statement than a player. but either way, it doesn't make someone a bad person.

as for the handshakes, he was way more enthusiastic and sincere than i've ever heard anyone in a handshake line. he actually stopped and had a little chat with luongo, which was not something he had to do

he didn't compare obama to hitler. he quoted someone who was talking about the progressive ascension of the Nazi regime to illustrate how he believes it's possible for rights to be taken away little by little without people realizing it until it's too late. obviously i don't think that of the US government, but he really never compared obama to hitler. it's a big stretch to interpret that as comparing obama to hitler

you are correct that James Harrison was the only athlete who didn't visit bush, i was thinking of an article that listed all the people who didn't visit since the tradition started, though i can't find it now. Theo Epstein, the general manager of the Boston Red Sox refused to visit GW, which i think is an even bigger statement than a player. but either way, it doesn't make someone a bad person.

as for the handshakes, he was way more enthusiastic and sincere than i've ever heard anyone in a handshake line. he actually stopped and had a little chat with luongo, which was not something he had to do

I thought I saw Thomas smiling throughout the whole handshake. I think hes happy they lost. I think he knows hes on the way out. Hes looking forward to leaving the Bruins. This reconfirms my thoughts last night.

You don't realize the context in which he was using the quote. Thomas was talking about issue of the Catholic Church on health insurance and Obama's law on contraception. If he is not comparing Obama to Hitler then he is probably comparing the Democrats to the Nazis.

I am not saying Thomas is a bad person but he is no class act.

He was no different than the rest of his team when shaking hands. CBC decided to focus on Thomas and follow him around. They could have just as easily followed any other player around but because he was the star of the game, he got the camera.

alright i do realize the context but i still think it's a stretch. i think thomas is classy as far as i can tell, and i think his hand shake was more classy than any others i've seen, and i've seen quite a few. either way, what he does off the ice doesn't influence what i think of him as a hockey player, and on the ice i think he plays with determination and class. i think we'll just have to agree to disagree in this situation. :)

I like Thomas. I was so happy for him last season when he took his starting job back from Rask. And I was excited that he was going deep into the playoffs (oh Canucks :().

He may be a bit... eccentric off the ice - but I don't really care about his personal life. When he's on the ice - he's a really nice guy. You never see him without a smile on his face (even when he was going through all the stuff when Rask was #1).

In that video, there was a fan that was crying and he was just cheering her up. That's a great gesture by him. ^_^

Also, someone mentioned that Dave Hodge tweet. Ya, I cannot look at Hodge the same way now. That tweet was uncalled for and an absolute low blow.

Archived