Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Thomas Tells Fan To Smile After Loss.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

#61 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

Lateralus, I am disappointed. How can you bring up presidents and not mention Kitty? You cheer for the Oilers and now this....you are a walking travesty!!! ;)

Edited by pimpcurtly, 27 April 2012 - 02:11 PM.

Posted Image

#62 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Lateralus, I am disappointed. How can you bring up presidents and not mention Kitty? You cheer for the Oilers and now this....you are a walking travesty!!! ;)

You know what when I type out the songs I had originally typed Kitty instead of Lumps, but Lumps is a more recognized song.

Damn I messed that one up eh.

Kitty is an awesome song.
FU kitty outside!!

Edited by lateralus, 27 April 2012 - 02:29 PM.

CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#63 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

You know what when I type out the songs I had originally typed Kitty instead of Lumps, but Lumps is a more recognized song.

Damn I messed that one up eh.

Kitty is an awesome song.
FU kitty outside!!

lol well you recovered nicely with that quote at the end. :lol:
Posted Image

#64 Mr. Shakermaker

Mr. Shakermaker

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,322 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTuxLe7pGHg&feature=g-logo
Thoughts? Can't really hear what he says that well, but class act imo.

gotta just be his kids.
i'm sorry but everytime i've seen this guy interviewed he comes across as a sarcastic pr!ck. Great goaltender, but I am not in the slightest a fan of him as a person
Posted Image

#65 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Wow, you got so sucked into the Thomas-Obama thing...its a good laugh and all, but seriously, whats wrong with it? Past players haven''t went, so whats so different if he didn't? And not to mention, he said he has the right to, and he does, so don't think him not going showed he was a villain, cause he just didn't want to.

No past players have snubbed the president. The only thing close was James Harrison, in the NFL who snubbed both Bush and Obama.

I find it to be disrespectful and petty of Thomas to politicize the meeting. Personally, I don't like Obama at all but it that shouldn't matter when meeting over something like this which is not meant to be political.

I am not saying Thomas is a villain but that he just is not a "class act" like some posters are making him out to be.
Posted Image

#66 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

gotta just be his kids.
i'm sorry but everytime i've seen this guy interviewed he comes across as a sarcastic pr!ck. Great goaltender, but I am not in the slightest a fan of him as a person

Someone just got removed from his Christmas card list.
CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#67 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

People like Thomas because he looks like a nice guy with the beard and all. I've heard on the wings forum that apparently "he looks like a big teddy bear," which is apparently why Ashleigh so vehemently defends him. If he looked like Dave Bolland/Marchand, people would not be so quick to defend him. It's funny to see the superficiality of our society in different contexts.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#68 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,497 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

He should have told the kid something useful. Like "look at me, this is what happens when you eat 10 donuts a day "

#69 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

He should have told the kid something useful. Like "look at me, this is what happens when you eat 10 donuts a day "

if i could be an NHL goalie, get paid 5 mil a year, win two vezina trophies, a Conn Smythe, and the stanley cup by eating donuts, i'd get right on that.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#70 Ace_of_Spades

Ace_of_Spades

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

It seems like a lot of people are ignorant of the crap Thomas has pulled in past. Waving at a kid supposedly makes up for it all.

I agree, I've always thought Thomas was a moron.... one act of kindness doesn't make him a great guy (in fairness neither would one act of stupidness) I just feel he's done more the one stupid thing and I think he's a bit of an idiot.

#71 Ace_of_Spades

Ace_of_Spades

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

not to mention all the stupid crap he did and pulled on the Nucks players.... how anyone could stand up for this guy is beyond me.... give your head a shake people :picard:

#72 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

I hate Tim Thomas. But this is classy.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#73 Ace_of_Spades

Ace_of_Spades

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

Not if it's just his daughter as some posters have indicated it probably was.

#74 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,901 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

he didn't compare obama to hitler. he quoted someone who was talking about the progressive ascension of the Nazi regime to illustrate how he believes it's possible for rights to be taken away little by little without people realizing it until it's too late. obviously i don't think that of the US government, but he really never compared obama to hitler. it's a big stretch to interpret that as comparing obama to hitler

No, that's exactly comparing Obama to Hilter. He's not saying "Obama is Hilter" but he's certainly comparing the two. One led a country to the height of Nazism, and if we don't watch out for the 2nd guy, he might just do a similar thing...!

as for the handshakes, he was way more enthusiastic and sincere than i've ever heard anyone in a handshake line. he actually stopped and had a little chat with luongo, which was not something he had to do

So he just won the Cup for the first time in his career and we're supposed to interpret his enthusiasm for class? Go back to the video and find me one Bruin who WASN'T equally enthusiastic. It's easy to be chummy with the other team when you just beat them.

#75 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:55 AM

Personally who cares what his political beliefs are? Everyone has their own and they should be respected. Does that mean he's not a classy player or a bad one, I don't think so.

As a Nucks' fan who lives in the US, I can't stand Obama. But that's a personal opinion.

Going to the White House for a TEAM EVENT which he is required to do in his contract doesn't mean he has to like Obama or not. He made the day about him, distracted his team and was selfish.

Thomas likes Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin.... Enough said.

#76 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:30 AM

Thomas ain't a class act. Remember that time he refused to meet the president?

I think Dave Hodge was on to something when he said that all three of Thomas' kids names start with K.

As do the Kardashians, so... :huh:

#77 SNACanuck

SNACanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

I personally don't think his political views are important. He can choose to support or hate whoever he wants. His views aren't extremist nor are they inappropriate. TT not going to the whitehouse is his choice. I think it shows more class and character to stand up for what you believe. For those that question his behavior and the white house I would ask how many of you would not be blinded by the whitehouse visit and stand up for your political beliefs? I can't stand Obama anymore and I voted for the guy. I sure wouldn't visit him if I was on a team that did. That is a persons right as a citizen and voter in the USA. This isn't North Korea where you have to raise your pom-pom because Kim Jong-il says so.

TT like the our own Canucks have done alot for the community. Before people go and judge someone completely by their on ice behavior how about taking into account what they've done for the community. I'm sure he's done alot more than some of the people passing judgement on him right now in these post. Besides who cares Boston is out playing golf like we are this year and there sure won't be another whitehouse visit for them...

Cheers, from sunny Socal

#78 Not Alain Vigneault

Not Alain Vigneault

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

Don't know if it's been said but..

According to Haggerty, a Bruins writer, it was his daughter who he was telling to cheer up.

Joe Haggerty@HackswithHaggs Tim Thomas said the "smile" motion he made behind bench on ice right after Gm 7 was to his 7YO daughter, who was crying. TT got her to smile

#79 SNACanuck

SNACanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

I am no TT fan or the Bruins but I give him credit for teaching his daughter an important lesson. Maybe if more people taught their kids how to react to a loss we wouldn't have so many idiots try and burn down Van last year. Any decent parent could respect what Thomas did for his daughter.

Cheers, from sunny Socal

#80 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Sometimes the best time to judge someones character is when the chips are down, which they certainly were for Boston at that point.

He doesn't seem like quite the self-posessed egomaniac he has been painted as this year.

#81 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

he didn't compare obama to hitler. he quoted someone who was talking about the progressive ascension of the Nazi regime to illustrate how he believes it's possible for rights to be taken away little by little without people realizing it until it's too late. obviously i don't think that of the US government, but he really never compared obama to hitler. it's a big stretch to interpret that as comparing obama to hitler

He certainly seems to be comparing them to the Nazis, which on its own is fairly ghastly. Its also ridiculous when you consider he belongs to a party that is much more right wing then the current administration, and is often considered extremist.

Hes done a few things I would say are acutely bereft of class. The way he handled the media when they asked him about his views was very childish.

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 28 April 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#82 Toews

Toews

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

I agree, I've always thought Thomas was a moron.... one act of kindness doesn't make him a great guy (in fairness neither would one act of stupidness) I just feel he's done more the one stupid thing and I think he's a bit of an idiot.

I see, would you like to name those things he has done?

#83 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

Sometimes the best time to judge someones character is when the chips are down, which they certainly were for Boston at that point.

He doesn't seem like quite the self-posessed egomaniac he has been painted as this year.

A lot of players have big egos...but that doesn't make them less of a good guy. Thomas seems to be pretty arrogant (and ignorant) person, especially in regards to his beliefs, but that doesn't make him a dick or anything. From what I've heard, Thomas is a great guy.

I don't know if it's been said yet, but it's been confirmed that it was Thomas' daughter.

Edited by Luongo, 28 April 2012 - 05:29 PM.

#84 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:27 AM

Someone posted earlier that Thomas might become a Blackhawk, wow it would make me hate them even more.

#85 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:27 AM

Someone posted earlier that Thomas might become a Blackhawk, wow it would make me hate them even more.

#86 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#87 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:27 AM

Judge him for what he does on the ice.

Who gives *expletive* what he does off it.

I do, he is a cheap shot hack POS
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

#88 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

I hate him even more this year since he said that he was a republican...

#89 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

I hate him even more this year since he said that he was a republican...

aside from the fact that hating athletes because of politics is sort of silly, he clearly said that he wasn't a republican. he's a libertarian and stated that both parties are responsible for the situation the US is in.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#90 Florence

Florence

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

I am surprised it started much of a debate on his character. Everyone does good and bad things doesn't matter who they are. Sean Avery has been a saint with promoting gay rights but on the flip side he has made derogatory slurs and classless phrases towards a other black hockey players, french canadiens, women, a man for having cancer, a police officer, a teammate with a lisp...

If you can't name something good and bad about someone you don't know much about them. I mean a few years ago Tiger Woods was the face of classy athletes.

Thomas isn't classy but he isn't the bane of all things evil. He is just human.

22_zpsytvhkhss.gif23_zpsm4ht6zoo.gif

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.