Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Do You People Really Expect Corey Schneider To Be The Best Goalie In History?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 Raging Cookies

Raging Cookies

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

POPULAR

Because thats what his stats currently represent. One of the best goalies in NHL history.

So what's more likely, that his stats fall down to earth quite alot with a MUCH higher workload?

Or do you honestly believe that we have the best goalie in 100+ years of NHL history on our roster?

I know it's very easy to want to throw Luongo to the curb for a guy that has the potential to be better, but maybe remember that Schneids has never played more than 35 games in a season. He's won 1 playoff game in his career, and his PK% is so obscenely high right now that its 50% better than any other goaltender ever.

If Schneider does indeed end up being our goaltender of the future, you might consider tempering your expectations. God-willing he has a slump, or gets knocked out of the playoffs.

Posted Image

(work by Pfizer...the legend grows)

"There I will sit surrounded by his presence in the water, sun and land, and know that he is proud. Not proud of the fact that I am sitting with the Stanley Cup, but the person I became in my pursuit of it."

- Ryan Johnson on his father (Rest in Peace)

#2 Duodenum

Duodenum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

He's expected to be better than Luongo, who is a far cry from the best goaltender of the last 100 years or whatever nonsense you're talking about.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

POPULAR

He's expected to be consistent in net.

#4 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,345 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

POPULAR

This is my worry too. Fans have set expectations too high for him already.

People talk about Luongo not being consistent, yet that's exactly what he's been the last 6 seasons. If anything it's been the team as a whole that hasn't ben consistent.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#5 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

POPULAR

People talk about Luongo not being consistent, yet that's exactly what he's been the last 6 seasons.

Meltdowns in the playoffs say hi.

#6 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,442 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

I don't understand why everyone think the fans are gonna turn on Cory if god forbid we lose a playoff series..oh the horror.. PPL jump on Luongo because they've seen the meltdowns and that's the lasting image in your mind. The only way to erase those memories was to win a cup. As long as Cory is consistant and doesnt have those 5,6,7 goal game meltdowns the fans will be just fine with him.

I do think its unrealistic to expect him to post what a .937 or whatever numbers he posted this season playing a full year. .925 + would be exceptional.

#7 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Now he is playing with a great team, we will see how the Canucks change over the next few years. If they stay a great team his numbers will be great without meltdowns and slow starts. But who knows.

#8 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,345 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

POPULAR

Funny how his meltdowns come at the exact same time that the team plays brutal hockey. Strange how that works, huh?

The problem is fans have become too used to him always saving our butts, so when he doesn't they turn on him. In reality Luongo has been making up for our average D-core in 5 of the 6 seasons he's been here. When you have Edler And Bieksa constsantly making bad reads that lead to odd man rushes, it's no wonder our team has blowout games in the playoffs.

You'll see it next season though if Schneider's number 1. You'll realize that goaltending wasn't actually the problem, and that it was actually our D.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#9 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

Expected to be as good as Marty Brodeur minus puck handling

#10 Merci

Merci

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

I think he out plays Quick in a defensive based team.

He equates Rinne on a team with 2 Norris candidates.

He strives to conquer Lundqist. And I certainly believe he will.

Schneider needs to be smart, calm, and love to better himself.

He has all 3 and more, he is the real deal, and 68 games over 2 seasons on a team with a crap defensive core tells that story.

So yes I think he has more of a chance than anyone to become the best goalie in history, his style

SCREAMS

this fact

If he stayed in his damn net in Chicago game 6 we could have bloody well won 3-0, what would have happened then eh?

Edited by Merci, 26 April 2012 - 05:35 PM.

vPTJpcO.jpg

#11 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Funny how his meltdowns come at the exact same time that the team plays brutal hockey. Strange how that works, huh?

The problem is fans have become too used to him always saving our butts, so when he doesn't they turn on him. In reality Luongo has been making up for our average D-core in 5 of the 6 seasons he's been here. When you have Edler And Bieksa constsantly making bad reads that lead to odd man rushes, it's no wonder our team has blowout games in the playoffs.

You'll see it next season though if Schneider's number 1. You'll realize that goaltending wasn't actually the problem, and that it was actually our D.

I was thinking the same thing..... Strange. It's interesting if you watch his meltdown nights he gets this look in his eyes like there is a monster in his closet. Almost every game he has a meltdown I saw it in the first 5 mins. Now if I can see his off nights early how do you think it affects the team.

#12 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Cory can walk on water.........

#13 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

How many consecutive playoffs say hi. The whole point of this thread that Cory could have those same meltdowns say hi.

The fans as a majority on CDC are just plain ridiculous.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#14 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

How many consecutive playoffs say hi. The whole point of this thread that Cory could have those same meltdowns say hi.

Cory hasn't had any playoff meltdowns. While Luo has had many.

Posted Image

Edited by Tanev's Smirk, 26 April 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#15 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

I think he out plays Quick in a defensive based team.

He equates Rinne on a team with 2 Norris candidates.

He strives to conquer Lundqist. And I certainly believe he will.

Schneider needs to be smart, calm, and love to better himself.

He has all 3 and more, he is the real deal, and 68 games over 2 seasons on a team with a crap defensive core tells that story.

So yes I think he has more of a chance than anyone to become the best goalie in history, his style

SCREAMS

this fact

If he stayed in his damn net in Chicago game 6 we could have bloody well won 3-0, what would have happened then eh?

This thread is about the fact that Cory simply has not played enough games to be considered one of the best all time. Like ridiculous fans are trying to say. You just keep babbling on with terribly inaccurate comparisons.

Like Schneider = patrick Roy.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#16 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Cory hasn't had any playoff meltdowns. While Luo has had many.

The whole point which u keep ignoring either one purpose or otherwise. Is that Cory hasn't played a full season as a starter. Give it a rest. Until he actually gets one under his belt and makes it to the playoffs at least ONCE. After playing a full season. Then we can talk about this again. And I will be the first one to bow. But all the talk about him being one of the best right now is over the top.

Edited by Special Ed, 26 April 2012 - 05:57 PM.

#17 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

POPULAR

OP is right. People need to take it easy on Schneids. He's not perfect.

But call me crazy, I do believe that there is something special about Cory. So many good qualities about him, on and off the ice. I feel the team plays better around him. Hoping he will sign long term.
Posted Image

#18 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

POPULAR

Looks like Schneider wins this one! This is according to the list of Vancouver Canucks Records and forgot to add amount of games played or minutes played to be qualified. I first made this post according to the info that was on the site who have these records and they show Luongo with better playoff stats. Then I realized they hadn't updated the info from this years playoffs, as pointed out by someone else, so I updated the stats even though wiki hasn't yet.
http://en.wikipedia....Canucks_records

Regular Season:

Goals Against Average
  • Schneider GP68 GAA 2.24
  • Luongo GP386 GAA 2.35
    *Minimun 50 Games Played
Save Percentage
  • Schneider GP68 SV% .928
  • Luongo GP386 SV% .920
    *Minimun 50 Games Played
Playoffs:

Goals Against Average
  • Schneider GP 8 GAA 1.91
  • Luongo GP 59 GAA 2.53
    *Minimun 100 Minutes Played
Save Percentage
  • Schneider GP 8 SV% .940
  • Luongo GP 59 SV% .916
    *Minimun 100 Minutes Played

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup, 26 April 2012 - 11:30 PM.

Posted Image

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#19 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

:picard:

#20 snolan

snolan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

No, but he can probably deliver more consistent/better goal tending than Niemi/Crawford, so he should give us a chance to win a cup.

Also those play-off stats are stupid, what is the sample size for Schneider 4 games? <_< Sort of pointless.

CMON GUYS HAVE SOME FAITH! WE ARE GOING TO WIN. ANYONE CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT IF THEY WANT. YOULL SEE

-- 1st Period of Game 2 VS the Kings, 2012 Series

#21 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,134 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Oh. My. God. If you hadn't created this thread I never would have known that this was a possibility. I mean, that thread earlier today about how Cory could be the best goalie in the NHL had me convinced, but then I read something else and being the sheep that I am, ...

Posted Image

Squirrel!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

that's stupid, we aren't expecting him to be the best the NHL has ever had. But we are hoping that he does become a top 3 goalie in the NHL , he has consistently put up elite numbers that show he's ready to be a starting goalie . He will be of the best in the league.

#23 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

No, but he can probably deliver more consistent/better goal tending than Niemi/Crawford, so he should give us a chance to win a cup.

Also those play-off stats are stupid, what is the sample size for Schneider 4 games? <_< Sort of pointless.

Just like his sample size of 20-30 games in a regular season kind of pointless, when full time goalies play 60+ games a year and now Cory is going to give us a chance to win a cup, never playing anything close to 60+ games in a season.
Posted Image

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#24 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Paying up on bets say hi.

#25 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Because thats what his stats currently represent. One of the best goalies in NHL history.

So what's more likely, that his stats fall down to earth quite alot with a MUCH higher workload?

Or do you honestly believe that we have the best goalie in 100+ years of NHL history on our roster?

I know it's very easy to want to throw Luongo to the curb for a guy that has the potential to be better, but maybe remember that Schneids has never played more than 35 games in a season. He's won 1 playoff game in his career, and his PK% is so obscenely high right now that its 50% better than any other goaltender ever.

If Schneider does indeed end up being our goaltender of the future, you might consider tempering your expectations. God-willing he has a slump, or gets knocked out of the playoffs.

Luongo was the guy that wanted to play all the games - doesn't mean that Cory's ego stretches that far. Maybe he is content to play fifty and have an understudy for the sake of the team.

#26 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

4 shutouts + beating his arch rival in game 7 overtime + making it to game 7 of the SCF say hi.
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#27 Day one

Day one

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

^^^ this

Not to mention an offence that dried up so badly in the last couple months that the only way to hide the embarassment was to spin it as playing a tight defensive style..

Uh huh.

Edited by Day one, 26 April 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#28 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

4 shutouts + beating his arch rival in game 7 overtime + making it to game 7 of the SCF say hi.

8 goals against in game 3 vs Boston say hi.

I say hi as well.

#29 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,932 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

I'm not sure what hockey you are watching. I Saw in games 3 4, 5 , the team giving up equally as much scoring chances we did in the frist 2 games. But the score remain low. How the hell did this happen? Luongo and Schneider is playing behind the same team?

HOw is it...

Luongo allows 7 goals in 2 games combined...

But Schneider behind the exact group of boys, only allow 4 goals in 3 games?

Simple.

Schneider is able to make huge saves, as for Luongo on difficult shots, it's "not his fault" because of the coverage.

You want to know why Washington is in round 2? It's not because the team is playing awesome defence, hell no, Boston is scolling in every aspect of the game, but their goaltending has come through for them. Something Luongo couldn't do for his team.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#30 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,932 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

BTW, Cory Schneider already has a Canucks record.

HIghest Save percenage of all time and Lowest Goals against as a goalie for the Vancouver Canucks.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.