The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do You People Really Expect Corey Schneider To Be The Best Goalie In History?

Raging Cookies

Because thats what his stats currently represent. One of the best goalies in NHL history.

So what's more likely, that his stats fall down to earth quite alot with a MUCH higher workload?

Or do you honestly believe that we have the best goalie in 100+ years of NHL history on our roster?

I know it's very easy to want to throw Luongo to the curb for a guy that has the potential to be better, but maybe remember that Schneids has never played more than 35 games in a season. He's won 1 playoff game in his career, and his PK% is so obscenely high right now that its 50% better than any other goaltender ever.

If Schneider does indeed end up being our goaltender of the future, you might consider tempering your expectations. God-willing he has a slump, or gets knocked out of the playoffs.

This is my worry too. Fans have set expectations too high for him already.

People talk about Luongo not being consistent, yet that's exactly what he's been the last 6 seasons. If anything it's been the team as a whole that hasn't ben consistent.

I don't understand why everyone think the fans are gonna turn on Cory if god forbid we lose a playoff series..oh the horror.. PPL jump on Luongo because they've seen the meltdowns and that's the lasting image in your mind. The only way to erase those memories was to win a cup. As long as Cory is consistant and doesnt have those 5,6,7 goal game meltdowns the fans will be just fine with him.

I do think its unrealistic to expect him to post what a .937 or whatever numbers he posted this season playing a full year. .925 + would be exceptional.

I think he out plays Quick in a defensive based team.

He equates Rinne on a team with 2 Norris candidates.

He strives to conquer Lundqist. And I certainly believe he will.

Schneider needs to be smart, calm, and love to better himself.

He has all 3 and more, he is the real deal, and 68 games over 2 seasons on a team with a crap defensive core tells that story.

So yes I think he has more of a chance than anyone to become the best goalie in history, his style

SCREAMS

this fact

If he stayed in his damn net in Chicago game 6 we could have bloody well won 3-0, what would have happened then eh?

Funny how his meltdowns come at the exact same time that the team plays brutal hockey. Strange how that works, huh?

The problem is fans have become too used to him always saving our butts, so when he doesn't they turn on him. In reality Luongo has been making up for our average D-core in 5 of the 6 seasons he's been here. When you have Edler And Bieksa constsantly making bad reads that lead to odd man rushes, it's no wonder our team has blowout games in the playoffs.

You'll see it next season though if Schneider's number 1. You'll realize that goaltending wasn't actually the problem, and that it was actually our D.

I think he out plays Quick in a defensive based team.

He equates Rinne on a team with 2 Norris candidates.

He strives to conquer Lundqist. And I certainly believe he will.

Schneider needs to be smart, calm, and love to better himself.

He has all 3 and more, he is the real deal, and 68 games over 2 seasons on a team with a crap defensive core tells that story.

So yes I think he has more of a chance than anyone to become the best goalie in history, his style

SCREAMS

this fact

If he stayed in his damn net in Chicago game 6 we could have bloody well won 3-0, what would have happened then eh?

OP is right. People need to take it easy on Schneids. He's not perfect.

But call me crazy, I do believe that there is something special about Cory. So many good qualities about him, on and off the ice. I feel the team plays better around him. Hoping he will sign long term.

Looks like Schneider wins this one! This is according to the list of Vancouver Canucks Records and forgot to add amount of games played or minutes played to be qualified. I first made this post according to the info that was on the site who have these records and they show Luongo with better playoff stats. Then I realized they hadn't updated the info from this years playoffs, as pointed out by someone else, so I updated the stats even though wiki hasn't yet.

http://en.wikipedia....Canucks_records

Regular Season:

Goals Against Average

• Schneider GP68 GAA 2.24

• Luongo GP386 GAA 2.35

*Minimun 50 Games Played

Save Percentage

• Schneider GP68 SV% .928

• Luongo GP386 SV% .920

*Minimun 50 Games Played

Playoffs:

Goals Against Average

• Schneider GP 8 GAA 1.91

• Luongo GP 59 GAA 2.53

*Minimun 100 Minutes Played

Save Percentage

• Schneider GP 8 SV% .940

• Luongo GP 59 SV% .916

*Minimun 100 Minutes Played

No, but he can probably deliver more consistent/better goal tending than Niemi/Crawford, so he should give us a chance to win a cup.

Also those play-off stats are stupid, what is the sample size for Schneider 4 games? <_< Sort of pointless.

Archived