The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do You People Really Expect Corey Schneider To Be The Best Goalie In History?

Raging Cookies

my bad too. i thought you were one of those Lu trolls..hopefully with the new stats you like Cory more than before..also this year in the playoffs he put up ridiculous numbers, in the 3 games he started he had a GAA of 1.31 and a SV% of 0.960. In those 3 games Quick allowed 5 goals and Cory only allowed 4 while having all the pressure of elimination and a hockey market.

Looks like Schneider wins this one!

Regular Season:

Goals Against Average

• Schneider GP68 GAA 2.24

• Luongo GP386 GAA 2.35

Save Percentage

• Schneider GP68 SV% .928

• Luongo GP386 SV% .920

Playoffs:

Goals Against Average

• Schneider GP 8 GAA 1.91

• Luongo GP 59 GAA 2.53

Save Percentage

• Schneider GP 8 SV% .940

• Luongo GP 59 SV% .916

Cory Schneider has a knack for making a save and staying in good position even in heavy traffic. He pounces on loose pucks to kill the play and settle his defense. He keeps his core square to the puck. In the playoffs where crashing the goal for garbage is the way to score.. this matters.

The book on Luongo is that the more people you direct to the net the more erratic his play gets. Put stuff at his feet, crash the crease, watch him fall on his stomach, lose his stick, slide out of position, get spun around looking for the puck.

I wish Luongo the best wherever he plays next year. But I like our chances better in the playoffs with Schneider in net.

My biggest concern is anyone remember Jim Carey? Won the Vazina and Calder his first year, had a couple of big seasons and then fell off the face of the earth.

Not saying that will happen to Schneider, but I already know Luongo can play, Schneider is largely unproven.

You can post Schneider's stats all you want. You're just proving my point.

Luongo has been posting consistent stats for 11 seasons now. thats a .917 or higher for the past 11 seasons in a row. For comparison? Miller's had 4. Lundqvist has had 5. Dominik Hasek had 4.

We're really expecting Schneider to immediately jump into this level of goaltending? What if he hits a slump? what if he gets injured? What if he doesn't have that calm dememour when he's a starter? What if he loses a playoff series, and let's in some bad goals?

I'm just trying to say...everyone is very very very excited about Schneider, I get it. But you're trading a known commodity, a , for a goaltender that has never played more than 35 games in a season.

And that doesn't scare ANYONE??

Luongo has been posting consistent stats for 11 seasons now. thats a .917 or higher for the past 11 seasons in a row. For comparison? Miller's had 4. Lundqvist has had 5. Dominik Hasek had 4.

We're really expecting Schneider to immediately jump into this level of goaltending? What if he hits a slump? what if he gets injured? What if he doesn't have that calm dememour when he's a starter? What if he loses a playoff series, and let's in some bad goals?

I'm just trying to say...everyone is very very very excited about Schneider, I get it. But you're trading a known commodity, a , for a goaltender that has never played more than 35 games in a season.

It has something to do with age, salary, and potential as well.

Luongo is a known commodity and is relatively consistent throughout the regular season. However, it's unlikely that his play will dramatically improve over the coming years, while with Cory he's still yet (hopefully) to reach his full potential.

I love both of them and wish we could keep both, and ultimately I'm fine with whoever we keep. Either way we'll have a really solid netminder.

I don't expect him to be the best , but I hope he becomes the best goalie in history.

So far for goalies who have played a minimum of 60 NHL games, he does already has the best save percentage in history. Lets hope he can keep it up.

All time save percentage:

Schneider .928

Rask .926

Hasek .922

Thomas .921

Rinne .921

Lundquist .920

Luongo .919

http://www.nhl.com/ice/careerstats.htm?fetchKey=20122ALLGAHALL&sort=savePercentage&viewName=careerLeadersAllSeasonsGoalies

Archived