The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do You People Really Expect Corey Schneider To Be The Best Goalie In History?

Raging Cookies

Oh. My. God. If you hadn't created this thread I never would have known that this was a possibility. I mean, that thread earlier today about how Cory could be the best goalie in the NHL had me convinced, but then I read something else and being the sheep that I am, ...

squirrel-dog.jpg

Squirrel!

Because thats what his stats currently represent. One of the best goalies in NHL history.

So what's more likely, that his stats fall down to earth quite alot with a MUCH higher workload?

Or do you honestly believe that we have the best goalie in 100+ years of NHL history on our roster?

I know it's very easy to want to throw Luongo to the curb for a guy that has the potential to be better, but maybe remember that Schneids has never played more than 35 games in a season. He's won 1 playoff game in his career, and his PK% is so obscenely high right now that its 50% better than any other goaltender ever.

If Schneider does indeed end up being our goaltender of the future, you might consider tempering your expectations. God-willing he has a slump, or gets knocked out of the playoffs.

Funny how his meltdowns come at the exact same time that the team plays brutal hockey. Strange how that works, huh?

The problem is fans have become too used to him always saving our butts, so when he doesn't they turn on him. In reality Luongo has been making up for our average D-core in 5 of the 6 seasons he's been here. When you have Edler And Bieksa constsantly making bad reads that lead to odd man rushes, it's no wonder our team has blowout games in the playoffs.

You'll see it next season though if Schneider's number 1. You'll realize that goaltending wasn't actually the problem, and that it was actually our D.

Don't forget the most glaring stat of the finals... .880 save percentage and that is with the three wins being two shutouts and the other game he only let in two goals. The four games he lost were some of the most brutal efforts ever in a cup final. My favorite was games six where he let in three goals in three minutes to start the first period...

Maybe in Canucks history? I love Luongo but if Schneids can win a cup with us he will become #1 in my mind.

Until then, Luu has set the bar...haters can say what they want but it's a pretty high one imo.

you know the fans will still say retarded stuff like Luongo got outplayed by Thomas or whatever if he was to lost every game 2-1 so i see no difference. the end result to fans is Luongo didn't deliver them the cup. Nor will Schneider you can quote me on it. The team as a whole doesn't have what it takes to win. They aren't built for the playoff.. and every year there'll be someone disappearing in the playoff. Wasn't that always the theme of this team? The biggest issue with this team is definitely not goaltending.. it's the players that randomly disappear during a series or all of a sudden doesn't know how to play hockey

Taking ten games at a time and Cory will always have better numbers than Luo. The arguement of Cory not playing a lot of games can be used to argue he still has not played enough games to master his position. That being said it will be scary to see him once he has master his position, because he is as good as Luo right now.

People are saying the D infront of Luo makes him look bad , than how come with that same D Cory has looked outstanding and Luo has looked average to above average this year.

Luongo is still a good goalie there's no arguing that, but he is on the down side of his career and Cory is on the upside of his career showing that he could be one of the best in the NHL for years to come.

There's not a lot that Luongo can do in Van now. He has been oustanding overall in his stay in Van, but what has happened in this years playoffs I do not think Luo wants to stay. Van is lucky that Cory can take over and be just as good and more than likely more consistent in big games.

you know the fans will still say retarded stuff like Luongo got outplayed by Thomas or whatever if he was to lost every game 2-1 so i see no difference. the end result to fans is Luongo didn't deliver them the cup. Nor will Schneider you can quote me on it. The team as a whole doesn't have what it takes to win. They aren't built for the playoff.. and every year there'll be someone disappearing in the playoff. Wasn't that always the theme of this team? The biggest issue with this team is definitely not goaltending.. it's the players that randomly disappear during a series or all of a sudden doesn't know how to play hockey

Archived