Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 3 votes

Seriously, Lol @ Us Losing He Best Goalie We Have Ever Had To Possibly Toml

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#31 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,560 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

The first rule of TOML is that you don't ask questions. You just makes stuff up. Like baseless rumours.

Again, if every player rumoured to TO actually ended up there, they'd own half the league.

The purpose of this talk is so they have talk. All they do in TO is talk. Talk about what TO should do. Talk about what TO didn't do. Talk about why it was bad that TO did or did not do it. And talk about why TO will continue to be bad because they will never do or stop doing it.

All the while it's the talk is the real enemy of TO. And that cycle of failure will never, ever end. Cheers.

TOML

comeundone.gif

#32 TwinTelepathy

TwinTelepathy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

I highly doubt he goes to TO. Gillis hates Burke. No chance in hell he wants to help out those clowns.

This.

That is why I simply love Gillis.

#33 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

He wants to be the star of a team and he wants the promise of the starting position. Toronto provides him with both of those. If the fans were an issue, he would not want to go to Toronto, but he seems to have no problem listing them as a potential destination for him to finish his career. He will not succeed with the Toronto Maple Leafs, which begs us to question what his real motivation is -- certainly, it is no longer to win, or else he would remain with this team.

Roberto wants to leave because he wants to play. Sharing the duties with Schneider is not good enough for him, it seems. By requesting a trade, he is not allowing the team to decide for itself what its best option is. It apparently doesn't matter if his future team has success, as long as he is the face of that franchise. Luongo plays for himself. Being the starter for a mediocre team apparently will make him happy, as we all know the Leafs are destined to go nowhere.

We may very well lose him because we were too successful at developing our other goaltenders. When this team is at the height of its success, Roberto has decided he would rather play for Toronto. I suppose starting 60+ games each season with the Leafs means more to him than sharing the net with Schneider/competing with Schneider and challenging for the Stanley Cup.

Umm, it wouldn't be good enough for Schneider either. Neither of them want to continue with the tandem situation. There are two sides to everything. Stop casting Roberto as the villain. Both are elite goalies and both have earned and deserve the right to be a starter somewhere. This isn't about Luongo not wanting to cooperate with the team. It's about him recognizing the situation for what it is; there's a young goalie in the fold who deserves to be a starter and Luongo is willing to relinquish the starter spot if that's what the team wants. All I'm seeing out of Luongo here is absolute class and sportsmanship.

#34 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

Umm, it wouldn't be good enough for Schneider either. Neither of them want to continue with the tandem situation. There are two sides to everything. Stop casting Roberto as the villain. Both are elite goalies and both have earned and deserve the right to be a starter somewhere. This isn't about Luongo not wanting to cooperate with the team. It's about him recognizing the situation for what it is; there's a young goalie in the fold who deserves to be a starter and Luongo is willing to relinquish the starter spot if that's what the team wants. All I'm seeing out of Luongo here is absolute class and sportsmanship.

Roberto's request to be traded contradicts this entirely. Especially now that the information has been leaked, his trade value has gone down. According to you, he also assumed Cory would be team's starting goaltender after the last three playoff games. He jumped to a conclusion before the team could assess their situation. Cory undoubtedly has much higher trade value than Roberto, yet Roberto must feel Schneider has taken his starting role. Realistically, Roberto could have continued to be the team's starting goaltender, as he had proven he was at the height of his game in the first two games of this year's playoffs and throughout stretches during the regular season. Despite this, Roberto has forced the team to move him. He has asked for a trade. He has limited Gillis' options. Even if today's news hadn't leaked, the fact that he was submitting a list of teams to be traded to so soon after the playoffs means he is implying he would like a trade.

It is obvious that the issue has everything to do with the starting position. You and I agree on that. If the team were to trade Schneider and keep Roberto after this ordeal, Roberto's actions these past few days, especially his trade request, would have to be questioned. He could have remained quiet and allowed Gillis to make the proper decisions and shop both goaltenders quietly to determine the team's best outcome. Instead, Roberto gives Gillis no time to consider his options and limits the return that he will receive when he does trade him.

The best thing Roberto could have done would have been to remain quiet and mention nothing to the media, opting instead to offer cliches and to say he would look forward to next season. By revealing all of the details we have seen within the past two days, chaos has erupted and Mike Gillis' job has become much more difficult.

Edited by WeatherWise, 27 April 2012 - 12:34 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#35 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

Not only is his career dead in Vancouver, but his career in general will be dead if he goes to Toronto, but let's be honest here, why on earth would he want to go to Toronto? I just can't fathom it. He's sadly nearing the end of his career, he's won it all but the Stanley, so why would he request to go to a rebuilder.

Hopefully he goes to Tampa, Washington, or Chicago. Anything but god damn Toronto.

This is where the nonsense begins. There is no reason to say his career in Vancouver is dead.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#36 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

Not only is his career dead in Vancouver, but his career in general will be dead if he goes to Toronto, but let's be honest here, why on earth would he want to go to Toronto? I just can't fathom it. He's sadly nearing the end of his career, he's won it all but the Stanley, so why would he request to go to a rebuilder.

Hopefully he goes to Tampa, Washington, or Chicago. Anything but god damn Toronto.

His career wont be dead in TO, he will actually teach those fools how to be professional. He will turn that team into a playoff team.

#37 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

Canucks fans like to compensate for the fact that they have never won a championship by referring to the "Toronto Maple Leafs" as the "Toronto Maple Laughs".

no.. its cause the leafs are literally a joke of a team..

besides how long ago was the cup won... :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#38 MyM

MyM

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:16 AM

Roberto Luongo - age 34: Career over according to CDC.

Know why I'm going to stop checking these boards? People like you. You aren't insightful. You aren't thoughtful. Why are you creating gibberish like this?

#39 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

He's not going anywhereee

#40 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:59 AM

Luongo would be a tremendous upgrade for the Leafs, Im fairly surprised that McGown doesnt seem to know much about him save his difficulties during the playoffs.

#41 Cr8zyCanuck

Cr8zyCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:34 AM

Roberto's request to be traded contradicts this entirely. Especially now that the information has been leaked, his trade value has gone down. According to you, he also assumed Cory would be team's starting goaltender after the last three playoff games. He jumped to a conclusion before the team could assess their situation. Cory undoubtedly has much higher trade value than Roberto, yet Roberto must feel Schneider has taken his starting role. Realistically, Roberto could have continued to be the team's starting goaltender, as he had proven he was at the height of his game in the first two games of this year's playoffs and throughout stretches during the regular season. Despite this, Roberto has forced the team to move him. He has asked for a trade. He has limited Gillis' options. Even if today's news hadn't leaked, the fact that he was submitting a list of teams to be traded to so soon after the playoffs means he is implying he would like a trade.

It is obvious that the issue has everything to do with the starting position. You and I agree on that. If the team were to trade Schneider and keep Roberto after this ordeal, Roberto's actions these past few days, especially his trade request, would have to be questioned. He could have remained quiet and allowed Gillis to make the proper decisions and shop both goaltenders quietly to determine the team's best outcome. Instead, Roberto gives Gillis no time to consider his options and limits the return that he will receive when he does trade him.

The best thing Roberto could have done would have been to remain quiet and mention nothing to the media, opting instead to offer cliches and to say he would look forward to next season. By revealing all of the details we have seen within the past two days, chaos has erupted and Mike Gillis' job has become much more difficult.

#42 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,974 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

Luongo is one of the best goalies in the world and has been consistently over the last what, decade now?

The Canucks will make the biggest mistake in franchise history if we trade him away. And everyone though the Hodgson trade was costly...just you wait...
Posted Image

#43 Burrows #14

Burrows #14

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

He wants to be the star of a team and he wants the promise of the starting position. Toronto provides him with both of those. If the fans were an issue, he would not want to go to Toronto, but he seems to have no problem listing them as a potential destination for him to finish his career. He will not succeed with the Toronto Maple Leafs, which begs us to question what his real motivation is -- certainly, it is no longer to win, or else he would remain with this team.

Roberto wants to leave because he wants to play. Sharing the duties with Schneider is not good enough for him, it seems. By requesting a trade, he is not allowing the team to decide for itself what its best option is. It apparently doesn't matter if his future team has success, as long as he is the face of that franchise. Luongo plays for himself. Being the starter for a mediocre team apparently will make him happy, as we all know the Leafs are destined to go nowhere.

We may very well lose him because we were too successful at developing our other goaltenders. When this team is at the height of its success, Roberto has decided he would rather play for Toronto. I suppose starting 60+ games each season with the Leafs means more to him than sharing the net with Schneider/competing with Schneider and challenging for the Stanley Cup.

What are you smoking? There is no room for both Luongo and Schneider. AV made his choice by playing Schneider. Luongo is not demanding a trade although if I was him I would. Schneider outplayed Luongo for the most part this year yet AV kept Lu as the number one guy until the Canucks were down by 2 in the playoffs, Schneider has a good game and all of a sudden he is the number one guy. Why AV waited this long is beyond me, it is clear he had more faith in Schneider all along.

Luongo will be traded and he will win a cup much to the displeasure of all the Schneider lovers. Can't have 6 million glued to the bench so he has to be traded to free up space to fix the issues with this team aka size and playoff intensity

#44 Odjickwillkillyou

Odjickwillkillyou

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

Meh.

"Just cause I am from Cali does not mean I am not a Canuck. We are all Canucks!"

Special thanks to Marleau 12 for the siggy...

"Gino's got the Zaaaaaaaaaaaa's"

#45 NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

Do you have a source of him requesting a trade? Or a statement from him saying he wants to leave.

I saw the interview where he was asked if he would waive his NTC. He said "only if the team asks me." I think that's a respectable thing to do.

He hasn't even released a list yet? So how do you know where 'being the starter for a mediocre team apparently will make him happy'?
Go Canucks Go!!!

#46 HorseGem2007

HorseGem2007

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

PLEASE just have
ONE

UNO
thread on all Luongo topics
from Lu's fans and Lu's haters

This is becoming ridiculous

http://forum.canucks...es-please-read/
" OnceUgotItUpKeepItUp "

Burr Kes Higgy
#14 #17 #20

YOU CAN PLAY ... Gay athletes. Straight allies. Teaming up for respect: http://youcanplayproject.org/

#47 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

What are you smoking? There is no room for both Luongo and Schneider. AV made his choice by playing Schneider. Luongo is not demanding a trade although if I was him I would. Schneider outplayed Luongo for the most part this year yet AV kept Lu as the number one guy until the Canucks were down by 2 in the playoffs, Schneider has a good game and all of a sudden he is the number one guy. Why AV waited this long is beyond me, it is clear he had more faith in Schneider all along.

Luongo will be traded and he will win a cup much to the displeasure of all the Schneider lovers. Can't have 6 million glued to the bench so he has to be traded to free up space to fix the issues with this team aka size and playoff intensity

If you were in his position and would demand a trade, why wouldn't he? You've essentially echoed the reason Roberto could possibly want to leave Vancouver -- because Alain Vigneault has shown confidence in Cory Schneider. There has already been a report that he has asked for a trade. If him asking for a trade isn't obvious enough that he wants to be traded, I'm not sure what is.

Do you have a source of him requesting a trade? Or a statement from him saying he wants to leave.

I saw the interview where he was asked if he would waive his NTC. He said "only if the team asks me." I think that's a respectable thing to do.

He hasn't even released a list yet? So how do you know where 'being the starter for a mediocre team apparently will make him happy'?

Have you ignored every bit of information that has been reported these past few days? It's baffling how certain individuals within this fanbase have ignored multiple reports and continue to be blissfully ignorant about this ordeal. Multiple sources, including Dan Murphy, Darren Dreger, and Bob McKenzie, have eachreported, that Roberto Luongo has developed a list of teams he would waive his NTC for. Murphy, in particular, confirmed, without any ambiguous wording, that Roberto had crafted the aforementioned list. Toronto and Tampa Bay are on that list.

McKenzie and Dreger are perhaps the most credible insiders in the business of hockey journalism, while Dan Murphy is currently the most respected beat reporter for the Canucks as he interacts with the players every day, travels with them, and is virtually the voice of that organization regarding news. Murphy is arguably the most reliable secondary source for information regarding the team. Nick Kypreos reported that Roberto had asked for a trade, again with no ambiguity in his report. When Mike Gillis was asked yesterday on the TEAM 1040 yesterday about this, he did not deny the report, instead opting to deflect the question and provide general details about a planned discussion with Roberto within the next week.

You would have to be quite gullible to believe only what Mike Gillis has stated thus far, as he, as well as other general managers, know exactly how to deflect questions and provide ambiguous responses. They will reveal nothing at all, yet we can obviously see from some of the most credible journalists in the business that certain events have taken place within the past 72 hours. You couldn't possibly ignore all of the information we have seen, and take for granted the ambiguous and cautious response that Mike Gillis provided yesterday. The sources are there. Stop ignoring them.

Luongo is one of the best goalies in the world and has been consistently over the last what, decade now?

The Canucks will make the biggest mistake in franchise history if we trade him away. And everyone though the Hodgson trade was costly...just you wait...

If any aspect of the Hodgson deal is going to be compared to trading Roberto, we may only need to look at why the Buffalo Sabres traded Zack Kassian. Buffalo felt they had a more promising, similar type of player in Marcus Foligno, and deemed that they did not need to have two similar players of the same type. As a result, Zack Kassian was moved so that they could address one glaring issue, the lack of a second-line playmaking centre.

If the Canucks are to trade either of their goaltenders, they will be acquiring various assets in return. Cory Schneider has been deemed by many to be as reliable, if not more reliable, than the emotional, mentally-fragile Roberto Luongo. Regardless of which goaltender is moved, the remaining goaltender for the Vancouver Canucks will fill that void without much difficulty.

When we traded Cody Hodgson, we lost something that could not be replaced -- a third-line playmaker, one who turned our third line into an offensive threat. If one goaltender is moved, we already have another. We can compare this to when the Philadelphia Flyers traded Mike Richards, their top-line centerman. They had another top-line centerman on the roster, Claude Giroux, who would fill that void.

Trading Roberto will not be costly. Moving one of the two goaltenders will only benefit this team.

Edited by WeatherWise, 27 April 2012 - 09:31 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#48 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,322 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

Francois Allaire.

/thread

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year.

#49 Toews

Toews

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

no.. its cause the leafs are literally a joke of a team..

besides how long ago was the cup won... :rolleyes:

See you can't make fun of them especially since your team has been a joke just as long as them. You can ask them when they won their Cup, and they will ask you if you have even won one. I fail to see how Toronto is joke but Vancouver isn't.

#50 canadiangunner

canadiangunner

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Burke will want to make a splash and getting luongo would be a big splash. Leafs don't make playoffs Burke is gone from TO. Luongo in the leafs lineeup will greatly increase their chance of making the playoffs, probably the biggest single move he can make to ensure that toronto get in, no other reasonable move would help the teams overall win total as this would, not even getting nash.

#51 StealthNuck

StealthNuck

• Administrators
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.