Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

(Signing) Sign Ufa Centre Chris Kelly From Boston

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Sign UFA 31 year old C- Chris Kelly to a 3 year $10.5M Contract.

Instead of trying to re-sign Pahlsson I believe the Canucks should go after the Bruins third line Centre Chris Kelly. He, unlike Pahlsson, has a offensive upside to go along with being a good checker.

This year Kelly played all 82 games (he has missed only 10 games combined in his last 7 seasons) and he had 20 Goals 19 assists and was a +33. He was solid for the Bruins on their playoff run last year and I think could really help the Canucks. He is slightly above average in the faceoff circle so he is comparable to Pahlsson there.

#2 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

I like.....Let Raymond walk and get him, think we'd all be pleased.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#3 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,770 posts

That would be a good move

Great proposal

Higgins Kelly hansen

Wow,that's a great 3rd line.
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#4 Gally

Gally

KJ's Butler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

I bet he is re-signs with the Bs

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#5 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Then he can reveal to us how the Bruins have a secret bounty system to injure players.

Posted Image

#6 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,331 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

Sign UFA 31 year old C- Chris Kelly to a 3 year $10.5M Contract.

Instead of trying to re-sign Pahlsson I believe the Canucks should go after the Bruins third line Centre Chris Kelly. He, unlike Pahlsson, has a offensive upside to go along with being a good checker.

This year Kelly played all 82 games (he has missed only 10 games combined in his last 7 seasons) and he had 20 Goals 19 assists and was a +33. He was solid for the Bruins on their playoff run last year and I think could really help the Canucks. He is slightly above average in the faceoff circle so he is comparable to Pahlsson there.

This has been a career year for him, but I don't think he's a late bloomer or anything. He's just fit really well into the Bruins system.

We would be paying premium here. You're right in that he'll probably go for 3-3.5 mil. But for that reason, I'm not interested. Better to gamble on a struggling player than pay top dollar.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#7 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

This situation strangly seems familiar....oh right Mark Messier...

no but in all seriousness Chris Kelly might not want to come to Vancity after being what he has through with Boston, but if we could he would be a great pick up for this team.

2moy3iq.png

#8 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

I bet he is re-signs with the Bs

The Bruins have attempted to re-sign him but he wants to try free agency.

#9 Guest_PUNJABI CANUCK_*

Guest_PUNJABI CANUCK_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

You do realize that you are offering 3.5 million a year to a 3rd liner (fringe 2nd) right?

You might want to reduce that to around Manny Malhotra money...

#10 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

You do realize that you are offering 3.5 million a year to a 3rd liner (fringe 2nd) right?

When players hit free agency it always takes a premium to sign them. Maholtra makes $2.5M next year and the Canucks paid $2.175M to Reinprecht to play in the minors this year and paid the useless Marco Sturm $2.25M in last years free agency.

I think $3.5 million is decent for a Centre who will likely play on your PK and third line and you have to consider the cap is likely going up again this year.

Edited by gradin123, 26 April 2012 - 11:01 PM.

#11 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

20 goal scorer

The 3rd line is so important. I'd give that much for a guy like Kelly.

He would also be our 2nd pp center and our top pk center likely.

Edited by Tony Romo, 26 April 2012 - 11:13 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#12 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

When players hit free agency it always takes a premium to sign them. Maholtra makes $2.5M next year and the Canucks paid $2.175M to Reinprecht to play in the minors this year and paid the useless Marco Sturm $2.25M in last years free agency.

I think $3.5 million is decent for a Centre who will likely play on your PK and third line and you have to consider the cap is likely going up again this year.

What?

Reinprecht was acquired in the Booth trade and Sturm was also dealt to Florida in the same deal.

Also Malhotra made $2.5 million because he was going to be our 3rd line centre and was the best at face offs. His play went down due to his eye injury, but he may come back next season in much better shape than this past year.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Guest_PUNJABI CANUCK_*

Guest_PUNJABI CANUCK_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

20 goal scorer

The 3rd line is so important. I'd give that much for a guy like Kelly.

He would also be our 2nd pp center and our top pk center likely.

I agree with you guys but I wouldn't fork out 10.5 million for 3 years (3.5 cap hit).

I really wouldn't mind Kelly on the 3rd line (he is versatile which is a bonus).

How about one of these three deals (I'm going with 2 years as I don't think giving out more than 2 years is right for a bottom 6 player).

1) 6 million for 2 years - 3 mil cap hit
2) 6.6 million for 2 years - 3.3 mil cap hit
3) 3.7 million for 1 year - 3.7 mil cap hit

I would mind any of these although the 3rd option is kinda pushing it.

#14 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

He is one of the Bruins that I actually quite like and would want him to suit up for the Canucks. I wouldn't know if he'd come here after being a Bruin though.
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#15 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

He'll likely re-sign with Boston.

#16 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

He'll likely re-sign with Boston.

Boston has cap issues especially if they decide to Keep Thomas and Rask but that remains to be seen. Still I think Kelly has his mind pretty much set on trying free agency so I don't think he'll be re-signed before July 1st.

#17 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Boston has cap issues especially if they decide to Keep Thomas and Rask but that remains to be seen. Still I think Kelly has his mind pretty much set on trying free agency so I don't think he'll be re-signed before July 1st.

I suspect that Thomas (38) will be sent down the road this off-season. His NTC ends July 1 of this year and he has one year left on a $5 million contract and he could return a pretty good pick or prospect to the Bruins.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#18 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

I suspect that Thomas (38) will be sent down the road this off-season. His NTC ends July 1 of this year and he has one year left on a $5 million contract and he could return a pretty good pick or prospect to the Bruins.

regards,
G.

Perhaps but that doesn't change that it appears Kelly seems to want and try free agency. This is a recent quote from him, "I'll always weigh every option, every possibility," Kelly said. "That's my job as a player and as a guy with a young family. That's my responsibility. But I think if we can get something done here I would like to stay here. "

Read more at: http://www.nesn.com/...ree-agency.html

He is saying he wants to stay in Boston if the offer is right but wants to weigh every possibility. Sounds like Ehrhoff last offseason.

#19 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

He would likely cost too much, He is playing well in Boston because its a good fit for him. There are better options out there.
Posted Image

#20 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

He would likely cost too much, He is playing well in Boston because its a good fit for him. There are better options out there.

He's a good fit for Vancouver too. Re-signing Pahlsson doesn't excite me at all, Kelly would perfectly on the Canucks as their 3rd line center. The Canucks cannot count on Schroeder next year.

#21 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

With the news of Kesler's injury I think getting a proven center with some offensive upside is more important than ever and of all the players available Chris Kelly seems like even a better fit now.

I think he should be the #1 target for the Canucks amongst free agents.

#22 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,241 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

We need extra depth at center ice with Kesler missing the start of the regular season. Keep Pahlsson, sign him for less, let Raymond walk, and use that extra money (around 3 million) to sign Kelley to a 1 or 2 year deal.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kelly - Higgins
Kassian - Pahlsson - Hansen
Malhotra - Lapierre - Bitz
Posted Image

#23 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

This is Kelly's one time big chance to cash in.. Think about where he is at..

Just won the cup and played very well for Boston again this year. Theres a very good chance they were most likely his best 2 years he is going to have in his career. He won't get another chance to cash in big time like this so why not take the money? he's got the cup already.

I'm guessing he really likes Boston because he's had the most success there but he has got to think about his future. He's 31 and Won't get this chance again

#24 mr_long1990

mr_long1990

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

The most I would offer Kelly is $6M/year for 2 years. He had a career year. I would rather go after someone like Gaustad for $2.5/year.

JOE THORNTON 19

#25 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

I'd rather take a run at Jarret Stoll for 4 year/15 mill. He's got experience filling in as a 2nd line centre not to mention a 68-point season in Edmonton. His offence slowed down under Darryl Sutter. He could log a 40-point year with better wingers. He'll probably hit the free agent market regardless of if the Kings go to the finals because A) this year is a fluke B) He's pretty much the best centre out there.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.