The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Do You Expect To Get From The Luongo Trade?

Southpop45

I move Lui to any team for a young scoring forward. Connolly etc... EG from Florida would be iconic but I think freeing up the cap space and going hard after Suter this year and hard after Weber next year... Get Schneider locked up for 3 years at 3.75...

I CAN SEE IT NOW!

PS: Also, moving Kesler who has now had 2 major injuries (hip last year and shoulder this year).

The media is floating the idea that Luongo's public stance about "waiving his no-trade if the club asked him to" is a classy act by a guy who only wants to put the team first. If that were so, he would have said nothing publicly and would have saved that revelation for a face-to-face with Gillis. By going public he immediately put Gillis in a very tight spot. Other teams know Luongo wants out and whenever that happens, the price drops because everyone knows Vancouver has no other option than to give him away for the best offer.

What will Gillis need? Cap relief, size, speed and youth up front and maybe a stud defenceman. As others have noted, he would probably have to take someone else's bad contract off the team making the best offer. I doubt he will get anywhere near equal value for Luongo. In the end, this might take a very long time to resolve because everyone knows that while a team can exceed the cap during the summer, they have to be down to the cap when the season starts. So, everyone can afford to wait it out and see which lowball offer Gillis will accept. Clearly, this will be Gillis' greatest challenge to date, but it didn't have to be this way if Luongo had simply gone to Gillis and quietly requested a trade. Rather than putting the team ahead of his own interests, the net effect has been just the opposite; he put himself above the team in making it known he wouldn't mind leaving. I think he did this before in Florida, when Mike Keenan grew so tired of Luongo's act he shipped him off to Vancouver.

We can speculate all we want about who Gillis should demand or get in a trade, but I doubt if he hits a home run. It will not likely be anoyone who can step into the lineup and become an immediate upgrade, unless Gillis is willing to take on a salary that blows Vancouver's cap management all to hell.

If we do send Luongo to Tampa (and I suspect there are a lot more options for teams out there than most people think)...

then I think it will look like:

Luongo + Ballard

for

Malone + a pick/prospect

If we are very lucky in that deal we swap 1st rounders.

Are you serious? No GM is stupid enough to give away anything big for luongo. They know Gillis is has a problem here, and has to get rid of him. So people wont put much on their offersheet on Luo.

Maybe Luongo for 1-5 pick of the 2nd round draft/Decent prospect/Late 1st pick like Tampas Detroit pick.

A gm who would accept a offer like Luongo for Hedman would simply be stupid. Face reality we will not get a important piece of the pussel, though the cap relief is almost good enough.

If it's Toronto:

-one of the big, young, RH (must) D men (Franson or Schenn) +

-some combo of middling pic and/or prospects

Also, MacArthur and Ashton may be in the running and could be had with the D man.

PS,

Stop dreaming about their 5th overall. After the Kessel debacle Burke would sooner cut off his left nut than give away another prime pick. Frankly, we don't need it. Our window is 2-3 years (or as long as Sedins are elite). We need players that can, or at least offer a decent chance, to contribute now.

That is of course if we're talking about honest to goodness, REALISTIC no BS assessment of what we CAN GET. If Gillis gets much more I'll personally lead the procession of worship

If it's Toronto:

-one of the big, young, RH (must) D men (Franson or Schenn) +

-some combo of middling pic and/or prospects

Also, MacArthur and Ashton may be in the running and could be had with the D man.

PS,

Stop dreaming about their 5th overall. After the Kessel debacle Burke would sooner cut off his left nut than give away another prime pick. Frankly, we don't need it. Our window is 2-3 years (or as long as Sedins are elite). We need players that can, or at least offer a decent chance, to contribute now.

That is of course if we're talking about honest to goodness, REALISTIC no BS assessment of what we CAN GET. If Gillis gets much more I'll personally lead the procession of worship

Due to the recent leaks in the media, Gillis has lost alot of his leverage. Plus Luongo's cap hit and contract length make him tough to move. None of the "moneyball" type GM's will even consider Luongo.

Everyone needs to remember that Eddie Lack isn't going to be our back up next year, we need a NHL quality back up.

I can see Luongo only fetching us a back-up goalie and some non-roster components like a pick and a prospect.

Why does everyone think Luongo's contract is bad? a cap hit of 5.3 million for a very good goalie in his prime is a great bargain compared to many goalies out there. He still has 6-7 good years left in him, then just buyout the remaining few years of his contract where he isn't set to make much money anyways. I think any team would be happy to have a goalie in his prime for 5.3 million a year. A team that can afford to buyout the second half of his contract (Like Toronto or Chicago) would see his cap hit as a bonus, not as a problem.

Luongo is being under-valued. His contract isn't bad at all if you are grouping him in the elite goalie echelon.

He is being grossly under valued. He will fetch us something of value, you can bank on it. Either an older guy going into FA and some small pieces (sort of what we traded for Lou) or maybe one high draft pick/youth player.

Luongo is being under-valued. His contract isn't bad at all if you are grouping him in the elite goalie echelon.

He is being grossly under valued. He will fetch us something of value, you can bank on it. Either an older guy going into FA and some small pieces (sort of what we traded for Lou) or maybe one high draft pick/youth player.

Canucks will lose the Luongo trade, and people need to be ready to accept that as fact. As others have previously mentioned, we're likely to have to accept a Keith Ballard or David Booth type contract in return, as well.

Archived