The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Do You Expect To Get From The Luongo Trade?

Southpop45

Depends on what teams are on Luongo's list. He may decide he wants to go one of Pittsburg, Nashville, NY Rangers, St. Louis or Detroit rather than TB, Florida, CBJ, Toronto or the Islanders. We don't know, and I suspect Gillis will play those cards tight to his vest. Heck he may even have to go out and buy a vest.

Generally speaking, I'd agree with the roster player, prospect and pick crowd. What player it is, and what prospect it is, and what pick it is will affect what Vancouver sends to TB with Luongo. There are a number of factors to be considered, including cap hit. One or both of the teams may want to expand the deal by adding additional elements.

Example:

If it's TB, I'd greatly appreciate it if Yzerman had a brain cramp and agreed to send Hedman AND Connolly to Vancouver. Since we can't rely on such an event, it will have to be someone else.

We can't expect any of the TB veterans to agree to waive thier NTC's. Not saying that they won't, just that it can't be relied upon. Their team is aging but is still close enough to be able to make one last Cup run, mostly just a goalie away from being a contender. Those guys may want to stay in TB and be part of a SC winning team.

Purcell seems to be the only guy who isn't covered by a NTC who looks like he'd be a good addition. He's a right winger, with size, 26 yrs old, a reasonable cap hit, and he just had a pretty good year. Bad side, he only has one year left on his current contract.

So, assuming he was made available then the deal might be Purcell, Garon (for cap dump and to serve as back-up in Vancouver) and both of the TB 1st rounders, for Luongo, Vancouver's 1st and a prospect (Tanev?). Heck, maybe even Raymond's RFA rights.

regards,

G.

Well at 33 years of age and having just be supplanted by a 26 year old backup who has yet to carry a team I wouldn't call him elite anymore. His contract is bad and when you take his age and declining skills into consideration it's absurd.

My brother said made the most outrageous proposal to me. Check these out...

Luongo to Devils for Parise and Henrique. Straight up. I laughed so hard in his face. Then after he said Luongo to Leafs for Schenn, Kadri and their 5th overall pick, and again...straight up trade. He's highly overrating Luongo, I think he's gone mad.

I agree with those saying cap relief. Gillis can do a lot with cap space, and he leaves options open. If you do a straight across trade, you aren't going to get the flexibility, because your trade partner is not going to take on that much salary without needing/wanting clear cap space of their own.

I say lose just the albatross contract. If anything comes back, make it a responsible stay at home d man.

Then scour the fa market for an impact forward or two, or look to get that (those) forward(s) with a seperate trade.

For Luongo I would like a solid defensemen, prospect, 1st round pick, and a top 9 forward.

By solid defensemen I mean someone like Bryan Allen, a guy who is not too young and has at least 5 years of solid hockey left.

Prospect would be a diamond in the rough maybe, a guy who is not doing so well and maybe we can improve him, Carter Ashton (he has looked good as of late).

1st Round Pick in the top 15.

Top 9 forward, a guy like Higgins who can come up to the second line, but is a great fit for the 3rd line. Adam Burish type player or a Pascal Dupuis.

Lupul and Kessel. I've looked back, and every rebuilding team that has gone from bottom-5 to playoff contender have usually always started with getting a good goalie.

Chicago 2008 - Huet

Boston 2007 - Thomas

NY Rangers 2005 - Lundqvist

Flames 2004 - Kiprusoff

Wild 2003 - Roloson

So, in my mind, I feel that Lupul and Kessel can be drawn out of Toronto if we add to the deal than just Luongo.

I agree with those saying cap relief. Gillis can do a lot with cap space, and he leaves options open. If you do a straight across trade, you aren't going to get the flexibility, because your trade partner is not going to take on that much salary without needing/wanting clear cap space of their own.

I say lose just the albatross contract. If anything comes back, make it a responsible stay at home d man.

Then scour the fa market for an impact forward or two, or look to get that (those) forward(s) with a seperate trade.

we arent gaining 5.3 in cap space if lou is traded. cory will likely jump from 900k to 3.5 mil. thats just 2.7 in cap savings per year.(minus whatever the new backup makes)

If MG determines we cant get a decent return for lou then i bet he trades schnieds. With schnieds gone there is no more goalie controversy and i think lou could settle for staying here and becoming happy again.

people are assuming he is for sure gone. there is a chance he still stays

Archived