The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Do You Expect To Get From The Luongo Trade?

Southpop45

Well at 33 years of age and having just be supplanted by a 26 year old backup who has yet to carry a team I wouldn't call him elite anymore. His contract is bad and when you take his age and declining skills into consideration it's absurd.

now it is being reported that their are 4 teams on lu's list. what do you ask from them?

1) toronto - i would only ask for one of two things stright up trade: the 5th overall pick or luke schenn. jake gardiner would be great but hes not gonna be moved and there is not point of bringing in kadri or colborne beacuse we are stacked up on the center position.(we just traded hodgson and schroeder is waiting for his chance in the minors)

2) tampa - probably the 10th overall pick straight up would get it done, maybe if we are lucky we can sqeeze conolly as part of the package. if not then teddy purcell and 2nd round pick. if i really wanted conolly though, it would be him and detriots 2012 first round pick. i would really like hedman but i honestly i think he is untouchable and as for malone maybe if its clear we wont be able to get another top 6 forward this summer.

3) florida - i would try to get erik gudbranson (one of the six guys gillis targeted for hodgson), might take more than just lu though. florida has so many good quallity prospects that i would be happy with almost any deal as a good young assest would be coming back. maybe a small part of the deal would be raymonds rights for jason garrisons rights. however at the end of the day if florida has serious interest in lu, gillis will find a way to make sure gudbranson is coming back even if it means giving up more than just lu, probably would have to give up tanev to make it happen

4) chicago - no idea what i would ask from chicago maybe kyle beach and 2012 first round pick.

what do you guys think?

I find it curious how many people think we wont get much for Lu. Probably the same people who were just a few days ago saying "LU WONT BE TRADED!!!! WE NEED LU!!!!

Heres why we will not get fleeced....

How many teams do you think are EVER seriously in the running for a a big trade??? (Yes, this is a big trade)

TO , FLA, TB CHI are all legit options. That is probably more teams in serious running for this trade than most big deal trades. NO, other gms dont have Gillis at their mercy.

Second... I want Lu traded. I am not a big fan. I want Schneids here... HOWEVER! Lu is a good goalie. At 33 he is not old.... He took us to within a game of the cup last year... and Helped us win the presidents trophy in back to back years... What exactly is the problem with his play? Its the mental breakdowns in the playoffs... Namely against Chicago... So... If he goes to Chicago...solves itself... If he goes to TO / TB / FLA ...those teams JUST WANT TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!! And in the reg season, I dont think there has been a more sucessful goalie over the last 5 seasons than him. You dont think those teams wouldnt LOVE to have a virtually guaranteed playoff position with a good goalie in net? Also, we wernt eliminated this year because of Lu... for the first time ever, I would say the team in front of him truly lost the series.

5.33/ season is not a huge contract for a good goalie. Its the length that is the major sticking point. However, everyone and their dog knows Lu isnt going to be playing out the final 3 years. Certain teams, just need the 5.33 to reach the cap floor as well.

Gillis doesnt have to rush to trade him!!! This is the current back to back president trophy winning team... We should make the playoffs next year AS IS!!! No changes. And with such a good young goalie in schneids, we dont have to rely on Lu not having a hissy for because he hasnt been traded yet and screwing our playoff chances... Gillis can wait until the trade deadline and get a premium on him for teams on the bubble trying to make the playoffs.

So basically... Other gms dont have us by the balls

Lu is still a great goalie

The cap hit is managable for a veteran goalie

Lu doesnt have the power to sabotage our playoff hopes next year...

We can get a fair trade for him.

5.3 for Lu is not an albatross. I don't know what has to be wrong with a person to believe that. 7.75+ for Vinny is an albatross. 5.3 for a consistently top10 goaltender is a bargain. 5.3 in cap space is NOT going to make us a better team. We need impact players back, not prospects and picks.

peaople are underestimating Lou trade value. He will instantly make a team get into the playoffs and depending on the team instantly stanley cup contender. That being said we are also not going to get an underacheiving player with a huge contract, because Lou was not underachieving. With toronto I would ask dieon pheneuph and 2nd round pickChicago.... Duncan keith. wouldnt that be an ironic trade.

with Luongo's NTC and 10 year contact to deal with don't expect much in regards to a trade for him. I still can't believe we actually think it a good move to let him go!!! IMHO, deal the twins before giving up on who is arguably the best starting goaltender this team will ever have!!!...

Archived