The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Do You Expect To Get From The Luongo Trade?

Southpop45

Luongo, 1st round, 3rd round for Tampa's 1st and Ryan Malone.

I'd rather Brett Connoly, but tampa's 10th overall can land us a solid defenceman, like Olli Maata. He'd be my pick, i've been watching him the past few weeks for the Knights and he's far and above the best player on the ice every night imo. He's adapted to the North American style extremely well, and at just 18 i think he'll be ready in a year or two and be a great contributor.

I don't like Malone's contract, but they'll need to dump cap to get Luongo.

Luongo, 1st round, 3rd round for Tampa's 1st and Ryan Malone.

I'd rather Brett Connoly, but tampa's 10th overall can land us a solid defenceman, like Olli Maata. He'd be my pick, i've been watching him the past few weeks for the Knights and he's far and above the best player on the ice every night imo. He's adapted to the North American style extremely well, and at just 18 i think he'll be ready in a year or two and be a great contributor.

Interesting read from Murph: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/04/27/murphy_canucks_luongo_list/

Basically saying that it's unlikely Gillis takes a bad contract in return for Lu. To me it makes sense, but the 'list leaking' has put a new spin on things (for the worse). Obviously the market this summer will play a large part in determining value, but Canucks would be worse off taking on a bad contract (already have 2 or 3). Should be interesting :)

Looo's cap hit is a bargain - the eventual buyout would be nothing compared to some playoff revenue - ask New Jersey or Boston if a 39 year old can still goaltend... Luongo has plenty of years left in him and will not be a contract dump - the Toronto media attempting to negotiate prematurely and devalue him are ignorant. The cost will be a big, young right-handed defenseman and a big, young power forward or centre.

Lou, (if true he wants to be traded) will probably go for a good return. They key being the right team, meaning a team desperate for a good goalie. Personally, I'd hate for anyone else to go with him. I can see a couple of the guys possibly up for trade like Raymond and Manny and maybe Bitz. Certainly not Kesler or 'core' players. It's a great group overall. I hated the trade of Hodgson but if what's being reported is true (he and his others being in the ear of GMMG ALL the time) then it's fine. I don't like Kassians play at all (yet) but also like Booth. So who we'd get for Lou (sad face!!) I think we can get someone good. Someone also said and I agree with, we need another good defence.

I don't think you know anything about player value.

Luongo could easily fetch a 1st round pick, at minimum. His contract is long but not overpaid. It is reasonable with the likes of Tim Thomas, Lundqvist, etc etc.

Tampa Bay may want Luongo though - Yzerman, out of all people, should know how good Luongo is. Yzerman personally worked for Team Canada with Luongo around.

Luongo's been very unfairly bashed in this city.

not that lou has no goaltending skills value, it's a salary dump and gm's know that especially dale tallon who knows lou's tendencies very well, i don't expect much in return and i'm fine with that....we want cap space and to get out of this poorly written contract by gillis.

People arguing that Luongos contract will only get us peanuts in return have to remember one thing. These front loaded contracts while generally a terrible idea do have one upside. In the latter years of these contracts where the player is only making 1 million dollars or less this could be very desirable to a team with little actual money to spend but in need of making the cap floor by taking on Luongos 5.3 million dollar cap hit.

Any team trading for Luongo is getting him for hopefully 3-5 years of quality play which is definetly worth a solid return and more than just some teams cap dump or crappy mid round picks. After that amount of time the team that has Luongo could them flip him to a team in need of making the cap floor as I mentioned, or buy him out which at that time wouldn't cost alot. It isn't really as big a risk as most are saying.

And to top it off, If Jeff Carter can get Voracek and a 1st, and then again Jack Johnson and 1st, while pretty much proving to be a 25 goal 65 point floater.... Luongo should bring in something DECENT , even if not at the Carter level of return.

Archived