Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

What Do You Expect To Get From The Luongo Trade?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
141 replies to this topic

#31 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

A solid prospect, a pick, and a contract.

Edited by Tanev's Smirk, 27 April 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#32 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

future considerations?
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#33 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

We will get an equally bad contract and picks/prospects

#34 nucklebucker

nucklebucker

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

I used to think we wouldn't get much because of his contract but I have second thoughts now.
The biggest money years are already paid. That means Lu at a 5.3 cap hit--which is great value. Once he is over the hill, he can either retire or the team can trade him to a cap-floor team (small money+big hit=value for cap floor teams).

The reality for the teams that need a serious tender is that Lu is the jackpot this year. He's the best goalie anyone will aquire (Bernier is the only other serious asset that may be available that I know of).

That doesn't mean we'll get crazy return. But it isn't just a salary dump.

#35 Franksedin

Franksedin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

Van: Luongo - Sauve - 2nd

TB: Brewer - Connelly - 10th

They get a good shutdown D prospect and pick, van gets a good D man along with a prospect and pick.

#36 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Wife and I are both HUGE Schneider fans, so thinking I will wear my Schneider Jersey and have some good Canadian sex.
Canadian sex is doggy style so we can both face the T.V and see the details of the trade.

#37 HorseGem2007

HorseGem2007

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

PLEASE just have
ONE

UNO
thread on all Luongo topics
from Lu's fans and Lu's haters

This is becoming ridiculous

http://forum.canucks...es-please-read/
" OnceUgotItUpKeepItUp "

Burr Kes Higgy
#14 #17 #20

YOU CAN PLAY ... Gay athletes. Straight allies. Teaming up for respect: http://youcanplayproject.org/

#38 jonnycanuck46

jonnycanuck46

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

Here's what will happen if Loungo gets traded; whatever team he is traded to will send back the player on their team with the most inflated salary that is producing the least and possibly a 2nd tier prospect or a draft pick. The only way a team would take Luongo's giant long term contract would be if they got to get rid of their most bloated contract. It's going to happen, there's no way around it.

in that case we better not trade him to tampa...vinny lecavalier's 8 mil for 7 years? no thanks.
Posted Image

Ephesians 2:7-9

"That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

#39 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

Anybody down for Hossa for Luongo? 5.275, UFA in 2021 vs 5.33, UFA 2022 ::D

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#40 Kassian's Tooth

Kassian's Tooth

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

Lupul :bigblush:

Gary?

#41 canadiangunner

canadiangunner

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

A solid prospect, a high pick and a big, mean and nasty roster player making in the region of 4million per year.

#42 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

A not-so-great (but not awful) contract on a good, older (30-34) player (hopefully a shutdown defenceman), and a solid prospect.

Maybe if we tack on our 1st we can drop into the first 15 picks in the draft as well.

zuhwS.gif

#43 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

I move Lui to any team for a young scoring forward. Connolly etc... EG from Florida would be iconic but I think freeing up the cap space and going hard after Suter this year and hard after Weber next year... Get Schneider locked up for 3 years at 3.75...

I CAN SEE IT NOW!

PS: Also, moving Kesler who has now had 2 major injuries (hip last year and shoulder this year).

Edited by Brick Tamland, 27 April 2012 - 09:41 AM.

I Love Lamp...

#44 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

The media is floating the idea that Luongo's public stance about "waiving his no-trade if the club asked him to" is a classy act by a guy who only wants to put the team first. If that were so, he would have said nothing publicly and would have saved that revelation for a face-to-face with Gillis. By going public he immediately put Gillis in a very tight spot. Other teams know Luongo wants out and whenever that happens, the price drops because everyone knows Vancouver has no other option than to give him away for the best offer.

What will Gillis need? Cap relief, size, speed and youth up front and maybe a stud defenceman. As others have noted, he would probably have to take someone else's bad contract off the team making the best offer. I doubt he will get anywhere near equal value for Luongo. In the end, this might take a very long time to resolve because everyone knows that while a team can exceed the cap during the summer, they have to be down to the cap when the season starts. So, everyone can afford to wait it out and see which lowball offer Gillis will accept. Clearly, this will be Gillis' greatest challenge to date, but it didn't have to be this way if Luongo had simply gone to Gillis and quietly requested a trade. Rather than putting the team ahead of his own interests, the net effect has been just the opposite; he put himself above the team in making it known he wouldn't mind leaving. I think he did this before in Florida, when Mike Keenan grew so tired of Luongo's act he shipped him off to Vancouver.

We can speculate all we want about who Gillis should demand or get in a trade, but I doubt if he hits a home run. It will not likely be anoyone who can step into the lineup and become an immediate upgrade, unless Gillis is willing to take on a salary that blows Vancouver's cap management all to hell.

#45 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

If we do send Luongo to Tampa (and I suspect there are a lot more options for teams out there than most people think)...

then I think it will look like:

Luongo + Ballard

for
Malone + a pick/prospect

If we are very lucky in that deal we swap 1st rounders.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#46 supermanbieksa

supermanbieksa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

Are you serious? No GM is stupid enough to give away anything big for luongo. They know Gillis is has a problem here, and has to get rid of him. So people wont put much on their offersheet on Luo.

Maybe Luongo for 1-5 pick of the 2nd round draft/Decent prospect/Late 1st pick like Tampas Detroit pick.
A gm who would accept a offer like Luongo for Hedman would simply be stupid. Face reality we will not get a important piece of the pussel, though the cap relief is almost good enough.

#47 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

Face reality we will not get a important piece of the pussel, though the cap relief is almost good enough.

I am not a grammar troll... but when your spelling is that ridiculous it is hard to take anything you say seriously.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#48 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

If it's Toronto:

-one of the big, young, RH (must) D men (Franson or Schenn) +
-some combo of middling pic and/or prospects

Also, MacArthur and Ashton may be in the running and could be had with the D man.

PS,
Stop dreaming about their 5th overall. After the Kessel debacle Burke would sooner cut off his left nut than give away another prime pick. Frankly, we don't need it. Our window is 2-3 years (or as long as Sedins are elite). We need players that can, or at least offer a decent chance, to contribute now.

That is of course if we're talking about honest to goodness, REALISTIC no BS assessment of what we CAN GET. If Gillis gets much more I'll personally lead the procession of worship

Edited by Trelane42, 27 April 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#49 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Victor Hedman and Ryan Malon for mayray and lui!!!
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#50 unbridled_id

unbridled_id

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

If it's Toronto:

-one of the big, young, RH (must) D men (Franson or Schenn) +
-some combo of middling pic and/or prospects

Also, MacArthur and Ashton may be in the running and could be had with the D man.

PS,
Stop dreaming about their 5th overall. After the Kessel debacle Burke would sooner cut off his left nut than give away another prime pick. Frankly, we don't need it. Our window is 2-3 years (or as long as Sedins are elite). We need players that can, or at least offer a decent chance, to contribute now.

That is of course if we're talking about honest to goodness, REALISTIC no BS assessment of what we CAN GET. If Gillis gets much more I'll personally lead the procession of worship

Lu's contract, age, and declining skills give the Nucks little leverage. You think the Leafs are going to give up two good young players in Ashton and Franson/Schenn for a 33 year old, on the downslide, with 10 years left at 5.3 per year ? If you were a G.M would you make a trade like that ? You will be lucky to get one productive player back from team that takes on that contract.

Burke isn't just holding onto picks, he wants to build a team and cannot do so by trading away quality young players for older, declining players who come with absurd contracts.

Edited by unbridled_id, 27 April 2012 - 11:32 AM.

"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

#51 Odjickwillkillyou

Odjickwillkillyou

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

I am not a grammar troll... but when your spelling is that ridiculous it is hard to take anything you say seriously.

Maybe they are referring to the female love muscle? PUSSEL???

"Just cause I am from Cali does not mean I am not a Canuck. We are all Canucks!"

Special thanks to Marleau 12 for the siggy...

"Gino's got the Zaaaaaaaaaaaa's"

#52 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Due to the recent leaks in the media, Gillis has lost alot of his leverage. Plus Luongo's cap hit and contract length make him tough to move. None of the "moneyball" type GM's will even consider Luongo.

Everyone needs to remember that Eddie Lack isn't going to be our back up next year, we need a NHL quality back up.

I can see Luongo only fetching us a back-up goalie and some non-roster components like a pick and a prospect.

#53 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

Luongo, Raymond and The Green Men for cap space is fine by me.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#54 : }

: }

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Kesler + Luongo for Stamkos

Sedin Sedin Stamkos ? :o
Posted Image

#55 D'Trevmo

D'Trevmo

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

Why does everyone think Luongo's contract is bad? a cap hit of 5.3 million for a very good goalie in his prime is a great bargain compared to many goalies out there. He still has 6-7 good years left in him, then just buyout the remaining few years of his contract where he isn't set to make much money anyways. I think any team would be happy to have a goalie in his prime for 5.3 million a year. A team that can afford to buyout the second half of his contract (Like Toronto or Chicago) would see his cap hit as a bonus, not as a problem.

#56 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

Chicago should trade Sharp + Toews for Kesler and Luongo :D

Chopper-for-life-7-600x200.png

If we don't even dump one veteran, I'll stop posting on CDC until October 7th. It's that disappointing. - Tom Sestito, June 27th.

#57 snolan

snolan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Luongo is being under-valued. His contract isn't bad at all if you are grouping him in the elite goalie echelon.

He is being grossly under valued. He will fetch us something of value, you can bank on it. Either an older guy going into FA and some small pieces (sort of what we traded for Lou) or maybe one high draft pick/youth player.

CMON GUYS HAVE SOME FAITH! WE ARE GOING TO WIN. ANYONE CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT IF THEY WANT. YOULL SEE

-- 1st Period of Game 2 VS the Kings, 2012 Series

#58 unbridled_id

unbridled_id

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Luongo is being under-valued. His contract isn't bad at all if you are grouping him in the elite goalie echelon.

He is being grossly under valued. He will fetch us something of value, you can bank on it. Either an older guy going into FA and some small pieces (sort of what we traded for Lou) or maybe one high draft pick/youth player.

Well at 33 years of age and having just be supplanted by a 26 year old backup who has yet to carry a team I wouldn't call him elite anymore. His contract is bad and when you take his age and declining skills into consideration it's absurd.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

#59 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Canucks will lose the Luongo trade, and people need to be ready to accept that as fact. As others have previously mentioned, we're likely to have to accept a Keith Ballard or David Booth type contract in return, as well.

Nothing wrong with that! Booth is great, he just needs a winger to play with him and Kesler. And Ballard is a great D man...

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#60 Canucks-12

Canucks-12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

kyle beach.. :picard:

dumb faceplants

BELIEVE IN BLUE!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.