Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

So Why Exactly Does Everyone Want Luongo Gone?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
123 replies to this topic

#121 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

That was a very lengthy pile of crap. Anyways, I dont want Luongo gone but one of the goalies has to go. I think Luongo should be the one to go because his performance is on the decline, his contract is ridiculous, and Schneider has shown himself to be more poised, quietly confident, calm, and technically superior.

No.

Luongo has at least 3 more GOOD years ahead of him, which is basically our Cup Window. He is more experienced than Schneider, he is proven and we know what we're getting from him during the time we have a chance to win the Cup.

His contract is long but not ridiculous. A cap hit of 5.33M for a goalie of Luongo's standards is about as ridiculous as Kesler's contract.

What? Poised, quietly confident What does that even mean? And you complain the OP is a pile of crap? That is the dumbest excuse to keep Schneider as ever I've seen. Also, the only reason Schneider looks more technically stable is because he's smaller and can move around more freely. Luongo is way bigger, has size 15 skates (try sliding laterally with those) and is bow-legged. He also changed his style (8 years as an aggressive, challenging goalie becomes a conservative one - a big change) a few years ago and he probably isn't really used to it.

All in all, you're just wrong.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#122 Pickly

Pickly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

No.

Luongo has at least 3 more GOOD years ahead
of him, which is basically our Cup Window. He is more experienced than Schneider, he is proven and we know what we're getting from him during the time we have a chance to win the Cup.

His contract is long but not ridiculous. A cap hit
of 5.33M for a goalie of Luongo's standards is about as ridiculous as Kesler's contract.

What? Poised, quietly confident What does that even mean? And you complain the OP is a pile of crap? That is the dumbest excuse to
keep Schneider as ever I've seen. Also, the only reason Schneider looks more technically stable is because he's smaller and can move around more freely. Luongo is way bigger, has size 15 skates (try sliding laterally with those) and is
bow-legged. He also changed his style (8 years as an aggressive, challenging goalie becomes a conservative one - a big change) a few years ago and he probably isn't really used to it.

All in all, you're just wrong.

No, the cup window has come and is most likely gone. Last year was the year for this core. They could and should have got it done, but came up a win short. It's an unfortunate reality but I can not see another magical run happening anytime soon unless the Canucks make some much needed changes to areas fans dont want to see change. You can flame me alllll you want but I can pretty much guarantee this franchise will turn into another San Jose (although the Canucks have been to the finals), strong regular seasons, disappointing playoffs without changing the face(s) of the franchise.

#123 Cristalinastar

Cristalinastar

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:52 AM

But goaltending isnt our issue- we dont have a cup for a plethora of other reasons which are discussed to death so i won't bother. That said lu has won us some but lost some due to his meltdowns, and if he wants a trade its because he's being outplayed by schneider.. How about man up and play better? But his ego has spoken.

This isn't about any attachment to Luongo, this is about which goalie will give our team the best chance to win a Stanley Cup right now. The Canucks are built for winning now, not winning 3 or 4 years down the track like the Flyers or Oilers who have great prospect depth.

The goalie that gives us the best chance to win on a nightly basis RIGHT NOW is Luongo. Over 60-70 games, Luongo will play better than Schneider, a kid who has never faced the pressures of a full season. Then there's the playoffs where fatigue really comes into play and again, Luongo gives us a better chance to win a game, win a series and win the Cup. Schneider won 1 game for us and kept us in another 2 but that was it. Luongo kept us in both the first 2 games as well, and last season did a whole lot more.

Even if Schneider is able to play consistently over 60-70 games somehow (a big jump from 30 spot-starts), the playoffs is a whole new beast where he has limited experience. Meanwhile, we have a hardened goalie who is full of experience and knows how to win big, pressure games. Why bother waiting another few years for Schneider to gain this experience the hard way when we already have Luongo?

16 WINS-its the beauty way to go!

Posted Image

credit to canazzy

#124 Canuckfan1968

Canuckfan1968

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Actually Luongo's Vezina calibre form does follow him into the playoffs, unfortunately the teams President's trophy winning form doesn't.

All you have to do is look at his numbers to realize that those meltdown games are the exception, and are alot more rare than him stealing games for us. Funny how quickly people forget that Luongo was being talked about as the Conn Smythe winner up until the finals. If it wasn't for him, we don't even squeak by the 8th place Chicago.

A 2.53 GAA and .916 SV% in the playoffs over his 5 seasons in the playoffs says that he's been good enough for us to win. It's the defence that hasn't been unfortunately.

I don't think we need to take a risk at the goaltending position because I believe that we've had good enough goaltending every playoffs. What we do need to take a risk on is getting that number 1 defenceman that we've needed for the last 6 years. We've got alot of top 4 defenceman, but we don't have a number 1. That's what our focus should be on IMO.

you do realize there are goalies in the league that have played less games and are out performing loungo in the post season lame excuse even some rookie goalies are playing better then him.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.