Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

**do You Prefer 2 Scoring Lines Or 3 Scoring Lines?**

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 carlweezer

carlweezer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

What is the winning formula?? Before the hodgson trade we were a 3 line scoring team. After the the trade deadline we acquired Pahlsson, traded Hodgson and ultimately became a 2 scoring line 1 checkkng line and 1 grinder line team.

My question is will this formula work? I think under Av we have no choice as he likes having a checking 3rd line.

Personally id rather have a scorinng 3 rd line, someone like Schroeder to centre it then have manny lappy playing 4th line.

I was thrilled to hear Gillis say he thinks offence still wins in the nhl despite all the low scoring teams having success at this years playoffs.

Edited by carlweezer, 27 April 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#2 supermanbieksa

supermanbieksa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

I'd rather see our team go out every game and try to score more than the opponent than trying to let in less goals than the opponent.

#3 Deets

Deets

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

WOW thank GOD something other than a Love/Hate Luongo thread!!!

To answer your question, I think either option would have worked better for us this year instead of our 1 scoring line team that just got its ass kicked.

#4 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

I prefer 4 scoring and defensively sound lines with 3 strong D parings and an impermeable goalie.

Yep, that sounds like my type of team.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

I'd rather see our team go out every game and try to score more than the opponent than trying to let in less goals than the opponent.

I prefer 4 scoring and defensively sound lines with 3 strong D parings and an impermeable goalie.

Yep, that sounds like my type of team.

Posted Image

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#6 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

3 scoring lines. Depth = cup.
Posted Image

#7 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

i used to prefer 3 scoring line but the NHL has gone back to grinding it out after the bruins won the cup.
Now in days i think Gillis has learned that you need 2 and 2

#8 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,443 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

Three scoring lines:

First line
Second line
Fourth line

Third line should be used for grinding out games and wearing down the opponents' top lines.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#9 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

I like when we can roll 4 healthy lines, usually that means 2 scoring lines and 2 lines you have to keep an eye on when they hit the ice. To many you will be disapointed to hear that means Manny and Raymond are players that make this work.

#10 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,569 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Well, when our 3-1 setup effectively became a 1-1-1-1 with Kesler's line reverting to more defensive minutes, I think you either have to have 3 really defensively capable scoring lines, or go back to the more traditional setup and hope your bottom six can contribute offensively as well.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#11 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

3 scoring lines. Teams wear down when you keep coming at them in waves. I hate to sound repetitive, but the Canucks were far more dangerous when they were able to deploy Raymond-Hodgson-Hansen after the Sedin line and the Kesler line. It's the centre depth that's key. Vancouver had a good thing going with Sedin, Kesler and Hodgson. That was going to be the crux of the team for a long time.

#12 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

2 scoring lines with a third checking line: Higgy-0pahlson-hansen
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#13 alexkidd

alexkidd

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

I would be happy with a second line that could goddamn score.
Posted Image

I am not a bandwagoneer. I am just pessimistic. 40 years without a cup will do that to any normal fan. So please, stop and think before labeling someone a bandwagoneer.

#14 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

3 lines for sure. that's how the last few SC winners did it so i'm down with that
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#15 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

WOW thank GOD something other than a Love/Hate Luongo thread!!!

Well another COHO thread is hardly a breath of fresh air either :P

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#16 Hank's Secret Sauce

Hank's Secret Sauce

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

either way you're suggesting a 2nd line that can score...we didn't have that in the playoffs

#17 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,932 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

4 scoring lines

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#18 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

AV prefers a more traditional 2 - 2 line set-up. The only reason the Canucks didn't pursue that set-up into the 10 - 11 playoffs or so much this past season was due to Malhotra's injury and subsequent difficulties in re-gaining his pre-injury form from 10 - 11 regular season.

I am also in favour of this system, but that being said, you also have to go with what you have at the time in the way of available players.

Since the Canucks didn't have a fully capable Malhotra for most of the season, it made sense for the Canucks to go with a 3 - 1 system with Hodgson acting as the 3C. This altered the strength of the line making it more offensively focused, but greatly diminshed its' defensive role. With the acquisition of Pahlsson at the trade deadline, the team was able to return to a normal form.

And it's not like the third line will be bereft of scoring. I like Hansen and Higgins as 3rd line wingers. They are aggressive checkers and they are also capable scorers. Malhotra's strengths are more defensively orientated, but this being said he is also able to put some points on the board. During the 10 - 11 season he scored 11g 19a for 30 pts in 72 games with what was a weaker offensive group than what he will have to work with this upcoming season (Hansen and Torres each scored 29 pts in more games played). With Higgins and Hansen on the wings, that line might put up around 50 goals and 120 pts total.

Ideally, the Canucks would clone Kesler, Holmstrom and Bob Gainey and use them as the third line. They would check the other team into the ice and still score a bundle of goals.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#19 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

How about 1 scoring line before we talk about a 2nd or 3rd scoring line. :)

#20 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

4 lines. The 3rd line is key because they have to check and chip in offensively. We saw it the past 2 years how Boston and Chicago had good 3rd lines as well as TIMELY goals from their 4th line.

#21 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

I hate the idea of a checking line that just goes out there to run around... It never worked before and it will never work now. We had a 3rd line checking line this playoffs, and it did absolutely nothing.
Posted Image

#22 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,776 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Even Team Canada rolls three lines when it needs peak performance.

But more important than the system is the players. The players need health, energy, speed, skill and size to have a chance to go all the way. We didn't have a lot of that this season.

Last season we were doing quite well in all departments until our health was depleted, then all other elements took a hit.

Teams making a serious run must try to have a lot of things coming together. Gillis has to make some further adjustments if he wants to construct another serious run. But things fall apart, like the Cody situation and now (apparently) the Luongo situation. And that makes it a bit tougher.

Hopefully we don't start bleeding good players just 'because.' That would suck. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#23 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

3 scoring lines, including the 3rd line

mj761l.jpg0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

#24 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,497 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Three scoring lines, with a 3rd line center who's also offensively capable while playing a steadying/ shutdown game in his own end.
This postseason, there was barely one scoring line (not counting the PP unit), with the Twins and minimal collective contributions from anyone else to the score sheet.

Twins - Booth (purely offensive)
Higgins - Kes - (play maker) - mainly offensive; however, Kes and Higgins also serve time on kills so they'll do their parts
Burr - Stoll- Hansen
this is basically a 2nd line with speed and offensive ability, though it can also beat you physically or in tight checking, plus there's the depth where guys higher up who are struggling can get replaced by one of these players
Manny - Lapierre - (ENERGY winger)- defense, size, grit, hitting

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#25 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

I'd rather have everyone scoring 10 goals a game.
Posted Image

#26 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

Three scoring lines, with a 3rd line center who's also offensively capable while playing a steadying/ shutdown game in his own end.
This postseason, there was barely one scoring line (not counting the PP unit), with the Twins and minimal collective contributions from anyone else to the score sheet.

Twins - Booth (purely offensive)
Higgins - Kes - (play maker) - mainly offensive; however, Kes and Higgins also serve time on kills so they'll do their parts
Burr - Stoll- Hansen
this is basically a 2nd line with speed and offensive ability, though it can also beat you physically or in tight checking, plus there's the depth where guys higher up who are struggling can get replaced by one of these players
Manny - Lapierre - (ENERGY winger)- defense, size, grit, hitting

Stoll looks like he might be a good addition to the team. Thing I'd like to point out is that folks are moaning about Malhotra as 3C at $2.5 million, what will they say when Stoll shows up? (currently being paid $3.6 million, and while he does have better career numbers than Malhotra, what the heck happened to him this year?)

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#27 Kassian's Tooth

Kassian's Tooth

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Would you rather win 2 mill on the lottery or 3mill?

#28 Odjickwillkillyou

Odjickwillkillyou

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

Why stop at 3? I will take 4 for $100 Alex. A goalie like Schneids with 4 scoring lines would add up to success.

"Just cause I am from Cali does not mean I am not a Canuck. We are all Canucks!"

Special thanks to Marleau 12 for the siggy...

"Gino's got the Zaaaaaaaaaaaa's"

#29 Prngr44

Prngr44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Would you rather have a kick to the balls, or a high five?
I hate the Canucks so much they're my second favorite team.
Posted Image

#30 Spectacular

Spectacular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Stoll looks like he might be a good addition to the team. Thing I'd like to point out is that folks are moaning about Malhotra as 3C at $2.5 million, what will they say when Stoll shows up? (currently being paid $3.6 million, and while he does have better career numbers than Malhotra, what the heck happened to him this year?)

regards,
G.

I don't think Stoll would be much of an offensive catalyst for the third line seeing as he's more of a defensive player (like you said with the Malholtra comparison). If the Canucks look for a 3rd line player to act as an offensive catalyst, I would think Jordan Schroeder could make the jump or they could try getting Daymond Langkow on a really cheap contract seeing as he is on the decline but he does possess offensive capabilities. If he doesn't work out, we could call up Schroeder to replace him.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.