The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**do You Prefer 2 Scoring Lines Or 3 Scoring Lines?**

carlweezer

Even Team Canada rolls three lines when it needs peak performance.

But more important than the system is the players. The players need health, energy, speed, skill and size to have a chance to go all the way. We didn't have a lot of that this season.

Last season we were doing quite well in all departments until our health was depleted, then all other elements took a hit.

Teams making a serious run must try to have a lot of things coming together. Gillis has to make some further adjustments if he wants to construct another serious run. But things fall apart, like the Cody situation and now (apparently) the Luongo situation. And that makes it a bit tougher.

Hopefully we don't start bleeding good players just 'because.' That would suck. Cheers.

TOML

Three scoring lines, with a 3rd line center who's also offensively capable while playing a steadying/ shutdown game in his own end.

This postseason, there was barely one scoring line (not counting the PP unit), with the Twins and minimal collective contributions from anyone else to the score sheet.

Twins - Booth (purely offensive)

Higgins - Kes - (play maker) - mainly offensive; however, Kes and Higgins also serve time on kills so they'll do their parts

Burr - Stoll- Hansen

this is basically a 2nd line with speed and offensive ability, though it can also beat you physically or in tight checking, plus there's the depth where guys higher up who are struggling can get replaced by one of these players

Manny - Lapierre - (ENERGY winger)- defense, size, grit, hitting

Three scoring lines, with a 3rd line center who's also offensively capable while playing a steadying/ shutdown game in his own end.

This postseason, there was barely one scoring line (not counting the PP unit), with the Twins and minimal collective contributions from anyone else to the score sheet.

Twins - Booth (purely offensive)

Higgins - Kes - (play maker) - mainly offensive; however, Kes and Higgins also serve time on kills so they'll do their parts

Burr - Stoll- Hansen

this is basically a 2nd line with speed and offensive ability, though it can also beat you physically or in tight checking, plus there's the depth where guys higher up who are struggling can get replaced by one of these players

Manny - Lapierre - (ENERGY winger)- defense, size, grit, hitting

Stoll looks like he might be a good addition to the team. Thing I'd like to point out is that folks are moaning about Malhotra as 3C at $2.5 million, what will they say when Stoll shows up? (currently being paid $3.6 million, and while he does have better career numbers than Malhotra, what the heck happened to him this year?)

regards,

G.

The thing about Hodgson is that he's a skilled player. While he makes the third line an offensive line, I'd rather have two skilled offensive lines, one gritty two-way line and one grindy fourth line.

By dealing Hodgson and acquiring Pahlsson, we get a checking centre with more offensive upside than Malhotra. The third line is less potent offensively, but gains a lot of grit and defensive strength, while the fourth line becomes valuable due to Malhotra winning draws.

Well come playoffs AVs coaching turns this team into a 1 line scoring and 2 line defensive lines and a useless 4th line. As seem in the past he uses Kesler as a shutdown player to shadow their top players, so really we end up having 1 scoring line in the Sedins and AV uses the 2nd line to shut down and the 3rd line to shut down, and the 4th line doesn't even really get to step on the ice anyway.

I prefer a 3 line scoring team, but also like the 3rd line being a little bit defensive at the same time, and that's what was good about Hodgson, he made a defensive line able to score as well. His wingers were still about defense first, so I don't know why everyone was complaining about having 3 lines of scoring it just adds more depth. I remember during the season when we were rolling 3 scoring lines, all sports analysts guys would say, this Vancouver team is looking dangerous to play against now, they have that extra depth now on the 3rd line to score and that's huge, and then we just traded it away to go back to a defensive line and then come playoffs what happens we can't score go figure.

The thing about Hodgson is that he's a skilled player. While he makes the third line an offensive line, I'd rather have two skilled offensive lines, one gritty two-way line and one grindy fourth line.

By dealing Hodgson and acquiring Pahlsson, we get a checking centre with more offensive upside than Malhotra. The third line is less potent offensively, but gains a lot of grit and defensive strength, while the fourth line becomes valuable due to Malhotra winning draws.

The system that brought us to game 7 SCF and dominated the regular season.

Also a coach that rests players until they are 100%... not 90%, not 95%.. We now know that at least Kesler and Bieksa were hindered with injuries.

Well, I think that if we get another winger for the Sedins, and Burrows plays with Kesler, then we can go with three scoring lines, site Kesler + Burrows = great two way line. Specially if you put Higgins on there aswell:

Sedins + Booth: 100 % scoring

Kesler, Burrows, Higgins: can both score, and play shut down.

Kas, Schroeder, Hansen: mostly a scoring line, but Kasian and Hansen can wear people down.

Lappy, Malholtra, Bitz: Malholtra can play shut down like a god, and Lappy and Bitz will crush everything, plus they've got some scoring ability.

Playing this way will, of coarse, put a lot of pressure on Kesler, he'll have to play a lot!

put the two options together. So we have 2 solid scoring lines and a 3rd that can chip in every 3-5 games while being a good line defensively, which is what i think we had with Hodgson, but obviously because he wanted out Gillis did what he could for the best of the team for the future. Kassian i believe will be a great player down the line for us.

Archived