The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**do You Prefer 2 Scoring Lines Or 3 Scoring Lines?**

carlweezer

This team needs a true #1 D man and an elite one. I would like 3 scoring lines and the 4th line to be a hard checking line. I think building a scoring team and having success with it can be done in the West but we need size to get through the defensive teams size, this core can't do that. Honestly Nash would be a great pick up for this team but I don't see how we can afford Sedins, Kesler, Booth and Nash and still find a true #1 D man. I think Sedins should be moved, I'd also move Kesler as his injuries are starting to catch up and this is a huge concern, his value would be high right now and his NTC doesn't kick in so all 29 other teams are options. I'd love to have Jordan Staal and Nash, big guys who can play through grit and size and both have a very high skill level.

Personally I think this core is a dead end, they can't score in the playoffs and we don't have the size or grit to match up to the better teams in the West, we lost to LA because of this, we lost to the Bruins because of this and this will be our falling out for next post season too, teams can run us and we look to the refs or do nothing about it see Keith and Brown hits on the Sedins. This team needs a remake, we're lucky we didn't run into the Blues or Preds they would destroy this Canucks team. The Canucks can't play against tough physical teams, we start diving and looking to the refs and it gets this team off it's game. It's not the system it's the personal on the team, you can play an offensive game with 3 scoring lines and beat out big defensive teams but you need size and strength to do it and we lack this.

Gillis touched on this in his last interview about this team needing to get bigger, younger and stronger and I'd be shocked if he moved the Sedins but I wouldn't be surprised... this teams needs size, grit and toughness in the top 6, Kesler brings that but Sedins don't so if you move Kesler your not really fixing it as he brings that but Sedins don't. I think we'll have the same team for next season less Luongo as it's a safe move for Gillis and we'll get an early bounce in the playoffs again as the main problems with this team is it's grit, toughness and post season scoring and you can't fix that without a massive shakeup in the core.

Guest PUNJABI CANUCK

I prefer 4 scoring lines.

The 3rd line should be a 2b (Chicago '10 , Boston '11)

The 4th line should be a 3 if not a 2c (Chicago '10 , Boston '11).

* Chicago and Boston are the best examples

* Rangers '12 is pretty impressive as well

It's possible but Gillis prefers his limited role grinders...

Definitely 3 scoring lines. But the 3rd line has to double as a defensive line that can score. Last few yrs it's been 3 scoring line teams that won the Cup, it's all about depth. 1 line gets shut down (often happens in a series), you have 2 other options to rely on. Plus, Canucks have to find a 4th line. This is the 2nd STRAIGHT year where this team has gone into the playoffs without a 4th line the coach trusts. It's just killer, on so many levels. HAVE to find a 4th line.

Canucks could have 3 scoring lines if they'd find a winger for Kes and a 3rd line center with offensive capabilities. It's not like they'd need to blow it up to accomplish 3 scoring lines, just getting the coach to buy into this system would be the challenge.

I prefer 4 scoring lines.

The 3rd line should be a 2b (Chicago '10 , Boston '11)

The 4th line should be a 3 if not a 2c (Chicago '10 , Boston '11).

* Chicago and Boston are the best examples

* Rangers '12 is pretty impressive as well

It's possible but Gillis prefers his limited role grinders...

AV's inability to put together a 3rd and 4th line that could play was the main reason why Vancouver was beaten by Chicago, Boston and LA in recent playoff series. The 3rd and 4th lines of these teams had outplayed and out scored those of the Canucks. All teams that had won the Cup recently had acoring 3rd and 4th lines. Vancouver certainly deserved the early exit when morons AV and MG chose to have a checking 3rd line instead of a scoring one with the Hodgson trade when the team only scored 8 goals in 7 games in SCF. AV and MG only have themselves to blame when the team lost to LA scoring a mere 8 goals in 5 games. It is alarming to hear MG said he thought he did everything right and he would not regret trading Hodgson. He could have used Hodgson in the playoffs and go for the trade in the offseason.

AV has to be fired if Vancouver really wants to win anything. One cannot put too much weight on the President's trophy as Vancouver had the benefit of playing in the worst division of the league and having the advantage of playing against 4 worst teams of the NHL 6 times each. All young prospects with skills are labelled as defensive liability by AV even before they are given a serious try in the NHL. And it was always the bone-headed, stone-handed grinders who filled the Canucks 4th lines whose only play was to dump the puck to the corner, hit something and go for a change. Things did not change a bit for 6 years despite series after series Vancouver was let down by its 4th and 3rd lines.

Vancouver was again stupid to keep its young talents in the AHL or OHL for too long a time and then ship them out in a hurry before they even have a chance to settle down in the NHL. Vancouver needs a new coach or even GM who would let its young talents play and learn, just like most other teams, on the 4th and 3rd lines. For years now, many rookies from other teams have been great success when they just stepped into the NHL right after being drafted.

AV has to be fired if Vancouver wants a scoring 3rd and 4th lines to help win it all. Things are not going to improve if MG thinks he did everything right, in contrary to the facts, in this early exit and he should probably be fired as well.

Guest PUNJABI CANUCK

No its called a salary cap , you can deploy a team like that with really good drafting year in year out so you have those you cheap players so our scouting staff and Gillis need to do some really good drafting to do that

I prefer 2x GAMEBREAKING scoring lines. The 3rd is probably not going to happen, unless the salary cap is removed.

The 3rd and 4th lines can have some skill though, so they can provide some occasional scoring when needed

It's only the Canadian teams who still believe in the traditional 2 scoring lines, 1 checking line and 1 energy or garbage line. Take a look at the 7 Canadian teams, the majority of them are in the basement of the NHL for years now. Ottawa only barely sneaks into the playoffs this year and Vancouver was just lucky to survive a game 7 OT last year or else it also had nothing to show. To beat the cap space and put up a team that can win, you need to put the young, cheap, skilled prospects with unpredictable upsides on the 4th and 3rd lines to learn and play. Right now the Canadian teams are wasting roster space and time to have their 4th and 3rd lines filled by players that cannot play.

I think it was pretty well established by management that you need scoring throughout the lineup to have success in the playoffs... so yes having a 3rd line that can chip in is crucial. Why we sacrificed that scoring to try and make a shutdown line a month before the playoffs started was very strange to me.

I think Higgins is a perfect 3rd liner, and hopefully Hansen can find some more consistency in his game next season leaving one spot open on that line.

For those pointing to the need for three scoring lines, which made previous Cup winners successful, I think you are overlooking something: those guys on the third line of those teams were all good checkers first, and that's what provided them with most of their scoring chances.

Look at Boston last year. What made their third line successful? The fact that they checked as hard as they did. Marchand (the little ...) got 5 goals in the finals not so much because he was just an offensive force and only an offensive force, but rather that he and their third line kept giving themselves chances because of their checking. Yes, once they had those chances they had enough skill to finish, but without the checking first they wouldn't have had anywhere near as many points.

The only way Hodgson would have had a successful playoffs this year is if Kesler was healthy and providing a scoring threat. Kesler wouldn't even have to actually score all that much, just be a real threat to score so that he would draw the tougher checkers from the other team. If it was obvious that Kesler wasn't playing up to snuff, and it was pretty obvious, LA would have shifted any kind of checking line to cover the third line and shut them and Hodgson down.

regards,

G.

Even Team Canada rolls three lines when it needs peak performance.

But more important than the system is the players. The players need health, energy, speed, skill and size to have a chance to go all the way. We didn't have a lot of that this season.

Last season we were doing quite well in all departments until our health was depleted, then all other elements took a hit.

Teams making a serious run must try to have a lot of things coming together. Gillis has to make some further adjustments if he wants to construct another serious run. But things fall apart, like the Cody situation and now (apparently) the Luongo situation. And that makes it a bit tougher.

Hopefully we don't start bleeding good players just 'because.' That would suck. Cheers.

TOML

I think it was pretty well established by management that you need scoring throughout the lineup to have success in the playoffs... so yes having a 3rd line that can chip in is crucial. Why we sacrificed that scoring to try and make a shutdown line a month before the playoffs started was very strange to me.

I think Higgins is a perfect 3rd liner, and hopefully Hansen can find some more consistency in his game next season leaving one spot open on that line.

Guest Dasein

I'd rather see our team go out every game and try to score more than the opponent than trying to let in less goals than the opponent.

Archived