The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eddie Lack Could Back Canucks' Starting Goalie

Sully2Cool

Assuming the Canucks do trade Luongo, there might be a chance that in the cap hit return their could be a goalie. For example, if Luongo were to go to TB then Garon might come back this way. He isn't too bad having 1 year left on a contract/cap hit of $1,3 million.

regards,

G.

You guys worry about NHL experience and rightly so, if Lack and Schneider were to be our Goalies next year they would have a combined 68 games (all Schneider).

I would however like to note that Gillis has repeatedly said, and demonstrated that two way contracts can beat out one way deals. What I am suggesting is we do sign an experienced 1 way back up. This back up however would be beat out by Lack in the preseason.

While Lack does not have NHL experience he does have NHL talent. I have never seen a goaltender of his size, 6'5'' be able to make the second, third save and still fight down low. Luongo by contrast makes the first save then proceeds to flop on his stomach, as if to snow angel. Lack did make another brain fart tonight though, and took a penalty for playing the puck outside the trapezoid. I still contend that Lack is one of if not the best goalie in the AHL right now, he deserves a shot if only 20 games.

Luongo's length of contract makes it difficult to move him.

Gillis has to find a market to take the term-ten more year's worth and Luo at 43 years old.

$6.7 million per year and $5.3 million cap hit.

Eddie is a promising goaltender but we saw the long years it took Schneids to become an NHL goalie.

If we do go with Schneider, then I think it would be a poor idea to have a rookie backup as well.

When Schneider has some off games, and we need to settle things down.. we need a veteran career backup type around.

Auld; Sanford; Raycroft; etc... lots out there to be had for close to minimum wage.

I've had enough of you people suggesting that Lack is a quality backup. He's not, he's come over from Sweden. They play a completely different game. Give him another year and maybe he'll be a good backup here. Maybe.

Archived