Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Report] Gillis, Vigneault Expected To Be Back

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
142 replies to this topic

#31 AlexBurrows#14

AlexBurrows#14

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Why would want that at all? I hope this team does well the entire season and wins the cup no matter who the coach is. Also the players actually like AV.

If they liked AV, they would have had much more effort in the 3rd period of Game 5.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Alex Burrows for MVP!

#32 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

The reason AV is stays is probably lack of an upgrade for a replacement and politics. As the losing accumulates like it did for boudreau then it gets easier in terms of optics.

#33 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

Friedman did not make it up. This was asked earlier this week during the end of season Press Conference. Most of us did not even know that his friend had passed away but apparently it was one of his cloest friends.

I know for a lot of people, when someone close passes away you need time to reflect away from the game. Also what forgets ot be mentioned is Rick Rypien and Gillis were pretty close as well. Gillis signed him and let him have all the time he needed to deal with depression. That type of stuff does mentally wear and tear people

If you know of "a lot of people....;" name one. Who in the "game" quit because their friend passed away?

Friedman't co worker Scott Oake lost his son to a drug overdose, did CBC and Friedman report on national TV that Oake might quit?? Every person in their life loses family and friends. I've never heard of a professional sports GM quitting thier job because their friend passed away.

IMO this is a rediculous story that should not have been topic du jour on CBC Hot Stove. I watched the segment and wondered what possesed Friedman to talk about this.

How many ppl associated with the NHL will lose a family member or freind this year? I bet it will be more than a few, Do you expect these ppl to quit their jobs?

#34 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,163 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

Obvious, predictable and 'duh.'

Next!
Posted Image

#35 CanucksExpress2

CanucksExpress2

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

I think AV plays to what he sees as his teams strengths. Why did he go for the 1-0 lock down games? Hmmm, Ryan K was heading towards 20 goals not 44... Hank and Dan were point a game not Hart Trophy candidates. Kevin B had maintenance days galore. Manny couldn't see. Raymond's back was sore. Elder's fingers were still wonky.

If there is no offence, focus on defence. I remember some pretty bad defensive plays this year, too. They were trying to out score their opponents and getting their @sses handed to them.

As for all the AV can't handle young players... the Sedins were young once. He worked with Bieksa, Burrows, Kelser, Tanev, Edler and probably a few more. CoHo was probably more disruptive than we know and that's why he got less ice time than many think he should. But if you give him more ice time do you sit Hank or Ryan? He was in a tough situation and I think Buffalo is a better fit for him.
WTF??????????????

If you don't like what I post, tell me to my face. And if you are an Administrator, at least, tell me what I did that you decided to remove my posting rights. 'Cause:

A) If I don't know, I will probably do it again
B) There is an infinite supply of free email addresses and I can re-register in 2 minutes.
and C) I thought it was three strikes and you are out, not random exercises of Power. Buddy, you're no Bettman!

#36 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Thing is, if he stays, it's not likely for just the remaining year on his contract. It has already been mentioned in the media that a coach n his last year of a contract is a "lame-duck" coach.

If MG decides ot keep him, it could quite likely mean a contract extension for AV. He could still be fired but it is more expensive and could affect MG's position with the owners.

MG came in to this organization with a mandate to build a champion team and the Aquilini's have spent beyond the limits expected to make that happen. PLayers have taken discounts to achieve that dream but still, no cup and a much worse year and playoffs this year than the last.

I hope MG has the balls to move AV along and bring in a fresh outlook and fresh ideas. What we have is not working.

Each year AV and the core group talk about how much they learned and how much they now know what it takes. What a crock! This isn't grade school. Sure there are things to learn but it boils down to effort and performing to expectations. THis team has not shown it has learned that and going back to school for another year is not the answer..They need a new teacher.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 28 April 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#37 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

I will not buy another piece of Canuck merchandise until AV IS FIRED!
The team has turned him out. Whoa wait a minute he leaves it up to the team no coaching or motivation.

#38 Cody9

Cody9

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Is this even news? I expected them to be back, did anyone actually believe they would be gone?

ME! If I was a PLAYER I sure wouldn't trust Mike Gillis. Then again, I am not a player. According to MG himself, he has always encouraged the players to come into his office to speak with him so that everything would stay "behind closed doors". That's what I believe he said. Then when asked about Cody, what I believe he should have said is something like this: Cody is no longer part of this team and what happens between myself and Players stays behind closed doors. So, that subject is done. Next question. BUT NO, MG decides to talk about his so called "high maintenance" player yada yada yada. WOW! If I was a player I'd think twice about saying anything behind closed doors. So, did I think this year was MG's last - yup, I did. As far as AV goes, well I thought it would be his last too.

#39 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

AV deserves to go.

#40 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

If they liked AV, they would have had much more effort in the 3rd period of Game 5.

A coach can only do so much. It is always up to the players when it comes to game time.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#41 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,935 posts

Extremely disappointed to hear this. We can look forward to another draft where Gillis finds no one, and more trades that hurt the future of this team. At the very least, Gillis needs to fire his scouts and get new ones.

AV - if he sticks around, I'm ok with it cause I'm not sure there are better replacements. But he HAS to find a way of incorporating young players into the roster, then use them on a regular basis. He also to tweak his systems. It's clear that the defensivly stifling teams are successful in the playoffs (Boston last yr, all 2nd rounders except Philly this yr). This yr his team was eaten alive by this structure. It's his job to create a system to overcome these type of teams. Uh.

EDIT: Also, what kind of org does not make the coach available for postmortems? earliest exit in 4 yrs and fans don't get to hear the coaches explanation for this failure. I think that's incredibly disrespectful to the fans.

Edited by RunningWild, 28 April 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#42 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,572 posts

because he's not a real fan

you can be but hurt all you want about the past , but to say you want to team to fail so one piece of it gets taken out means you really dont enjoy watching the team play hockey

who really wants a team to tank just so a coaching change happens , corny

So just because I'm judging Gillis's move to keep AV means im not a real fan?

What moves have you judged? the Ballard trade? the Kassian trade? the Luongo contract?

I'm still a die hard fan, I just tend to look at this more from a "team first" and "winning mentality" now after all the heartbreak, Just because I don't base my decisions on emotion doesn't mean I'm not a die hard fan.

I guess you just don't know what a fan is.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 03 May 2012 - 11:06 PM.

zackass.png

#43 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

If AV stays, expect another Pres trophy and no Cup. Or if things get really out of hand - neither.

#44 6string

6string

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

i suspect kaasian will start in the minors with coach v and he'll tell us kassian is great blah-blah blah but just not ready.

when will this organization understand that when you have a great competive team like ours, you can afford to add youngsters inthe lineup who are great for the budget too, live with their learning curve as an investment for the immediate future. other clubs do it!

i'm tired of the wellwoods, raymonds, rome, shaeffers, johnsons, alberts, glass, bernier, pettinger and the list goes on at the expense of a kassian, hodgson and bourdon's of the world...friggin play em regularily to know for sure that they stay or go!!!!

do you ever get the feeling these guys gillis and vigneault are only looking after themselves by playing washed up vets at the expense of youth?

#45 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,743 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

:bored:

307mg00.jpg

#46 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

If AV is going to be back, whatever. I'll still support the team 100% but I definitely do not approve.

#47 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

A coach gets too much credit if the team wins and too much blame if it loses. Keep in mind that AV is one of seven coaches on this team and though he's the head guy, it's not like he does it all by himself. The team's failure in round one wasn't about coaching or externally motivating the players. By this time in the season, and in their careers, if motivation doesn't come from within, them nobody is going to give it to them. I really believe that the team was so focussed on redeeming themselves for losing to Boston that they were looking past LA. They seemed to play like they were expecting to win rather than putting in the hard work at both ends of the ice that got them through to the final last year. In the end, a coach is only as good as the team the GM hands him. Gillis may or may not have done the best job at assembling this team, but AV got them to another President's Trophy which is no easy feat in a league with such a high level of competition.

#48 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

If you know of "a lot of people....;" name one. Who in the "game" quit because their friend passed away?

Friedman't co worker Scott Oake lost his son to a drug overdose, did CBC and Friedman report on national TV that Oake might quit?? Every person in their life loses family and friends. I've never heard of a professional sports GM quitting thier job because their friend passed away.

IMO this is a rediculous story that should not have been topic du jour on CBC Hot Stove. I watched the segment and wondered what possesed Friedman to talk about this.

How many ppl associated with the NHL will lose a family member or freind this year? I bet it will be more than a few, Do you expect these ppl to quit their jobs?

See I know you are talking out of your a** when I see that you forgot that the Vancouver media brought this up on Tuesday at the year end PC.

You are making something out of nothing. Carry on though.

#49 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

A coach gets too much credit if the team wins and too much blame if it loses. Keep in mind that AV is one of seven coaches on this team and though he's the head guy, it's not like he does it all by himself. The team's failure in round one wasn't about coaching or externally motivating the players. By this time in the season, and in their careers, if motivation doesn't come from within, them nobody is going to give it to them. I really believe that the team was so focussed on redeeming themselves for losing to Boston that they were looking past LA. They seemed to play like they were expecting to win rather than putting in the hard work at both ends of the ice that got them through to the final last year. In the end, a coach is only as good as the team the GM hands him. Gillis may or may not have done the best job at assembling this team, but AV got them to another President's Trophy which is no easy feat in a league with such a high level of competition.

True the coach can't do everything but AV chooses the personnel and the postions they play. Our lines have been an absolute mess for 2 months. After last year, AV was let off the hook because his 4th line personnel weren't goo enough to allow rolling 4 lines. Well MG went out and brought in a team's worth of 4th liners with varying skill sets and AV played musical lines all bloody year and in the playoffs, basically rolled 3 lines again.

He preaches defence and tigh scoring games dfespite what he says about offence. Early in teh season when they were really pushing the offensive play, they were getting theit butts handed to them because of odd man rushes, and weak defensive coverage. Rather than coach them to be able to be offensive whiel still being defensive responsible, he had them crawl into a defensive shell and that is why our offense fried up like a prune after January.

WIth the talent on this team, they should be able to pressure offensively consistently and still be defensively responsible. He deserves to be blamed for much of this teams play this season.

#50 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'd don't mind him staying, as long ask him to change (or more evolve). If I was Gillis I wouldn't go on the market and get Booth, Pahlsson, Higgins, Rome, Salo's type of players. Instead i'd force AV to use our young ones. Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, Tanev, Gragnani, Connauton (maybe not all of them).

However, i'd like AV to go after the big names, Parise, Suter, Nash(if available), etc.

#51 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

I respect AV, but I think this team needs a change behind the bench. Preferably someone whos not afraid to get mad at the players and yell, a John Tortorella type coach would be perfect.

I wouldn't mind that, but at the same time someone like Torts is really erratic and might not be good for team chemistry. And when I say team chemistry I mean the players with the coach, not players with players. Someone like AV is good because he keeps his cool, which makes him a good model for the team's attitude during and between games.

#52 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

See I know you are talking out of your a** when I see that you forgot that the Vancouver media brought this up on Tuesday at the year end PC.

You are making something out of nothing. Carry on though.

Don't change the subject. Name someone that quit because their friend or relative passed away. You claim "a lot of ppl....." name 1.

Did Mike Gillis quit when his close friend and former client Pavol Demitra died in the plane crash?

Did Mike Gillis quit when his close friend Brad McCrimmon passed away in the KHL plane crash?

Did any of the Canucks players or mgmt quit because Rypper passed on?

Did anyone in the entire hockey world quit after an entire team perished in the KHL, many of them former NHL stars?

Vancouver media is not HNIC. Local media talks about all sorts of nonsense on the radio to fill air time. Satellite Hot Stove is a very important segment on HNIC that has a national audience.

BTW quit making stupid remarks like " talking out of blah blah blah.... keep it civil.

Edited by WHL rocks, 28 April 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#53 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

You canna teach an old dog new tricks they say .. AV is an old dog .. we need a new dynamic .. simple as that .. failure to change our coaching will lead to similar results .. good regular seasons followed by abject failure ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#54 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

ME! If I was a PLAYER I sure wouldn't trust Mike Gillis. Then again, I am not a player. According to MG himself, he has always encouraged the players to come into his office to speak with him so that everything would stay "behind closed doors". That's what I believe he said. Then when asked about Cody, what I believe he should have said is something like this: Cody is no longer part of this team and what happens between myself and Players stays behind closed doors. So, that subject is done. Next question. BUT NO, MG decides to talk about his so called "high maintenance" player yada yada yada. WOW! If I was a player I'd think twice about saying anything behind closed doors. So, did I think this year was MG's last - yup, I did. As far as AV goes, well I thought it would be his last too.

Ok I agree with you on his comment could have been better but who's perfect. The Man was asked that question at the deadline and probably been ask since that time . Its no different then Luongo saying I probably would of made that save after game 2 in the finals, Or the year before after getting knocked out by Chicago 5-1. At Least I didn't let in 7 goals.

#55 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

I give up.

I guess getting eliminated in 5 games against the 8th seeded team is Ok.

If Mike doesn't fire Vigneault then he is to blame for everything.
Posted Image

#56 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,935 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

Post is misleading. I just saw the segment by Friedman. Key words: "Gillis has not met with Aquilini yet".

Gillis and AVs contract expire at end of next yr. Rumors were that Gillis was stepping down due to his friends passing away and that he would not be trying to negotiate a new contract with Canucks. Friedman talked directly to Gillis today, Gillis refuted those reports saying he wants to come back. Friedmans exact words "I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the next little while an extension between him and the organization is brought up, if not this week when he meets with Francesco Aquilini".

Friedmans exact words when discussing Canucks coaching and Lu: "I just think they haven't decided yet, they haven't met with owner and Gillis. So I think that's why the coaching thing hasn't been decided. I don't think there's anybody expecting that AV is going to fired by Gillis . The expectation is, that he's going to be brought back".

So, form this segment we know for a fact:
- Gillis wants to come back. That's it.

People 'believe' Gillis wants to bring AV back, but those people don't hold the cards - they are not Aquilini. Just cause Gillis 'wants' to come back, doesn't mean they will let him.

I've said if before, Aquilinis a successful business man. He hasn't' become a successful business man in different sectors by staying status quo. He's going through a divorce right now. Divorces = substantial drop in wealth. Earliest exit in 4 yrs = substantial lost revenue. Personally, I can't see a way that he stays status quo. Same coach, same GM and same core players is staus quo. I see changes.

#57 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

We're the new San Jose :) :) :)

#58 smackyo23

smackyo23

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Gillis is fine but AV HAS TO GO!!!
Posted Image

#59 Canuck_Whisperer

Canuck_Whisperer

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

Good. I like GMMG and AV. They've done a good job.
The autographed flag has been put away ... but it will be back! Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image

#60 Canuck_Whisperer

Canuck_Whisperer

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

i suspect kaasian will start in the minors with coach v and he'll tell us kassian is great blah-blah blah but just not ready.

when will this organization understand that when you have a great competive team like ours, you can afford to add youngsters inthe lineup who are great for the budget too, live with their learning curve as an investment for the immediate future. other clubs do it!

i'm tired of the wellwoods, raymonds, rome, shaeffers, johnsons, alberts, glass, bernier, pettinger and the list goes on at the expense of a kassian, hodgson and bourdon's of the world...friggin play em regularily to know for sure that they stay or go!!!!

do you ever get the feeling these guys gillis and vigneault are only looking after themselves by playing washed up vets at the expense of youth?

Kassian isn't ready. Simple. Have a nice day. lol
The autographed flag has been put away ... but it will be back! Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.